Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 06:13 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorewa View Post
If you "have no use for those rags" and want them to "leave them back in the country where you came from." You are decidedly not more open-minded than the average person.
My grandmother dressed kind of strange and my people did all kinds of strange things like all men on the right side of the church and all women on the left side. It's not the way things in America are done and you are in America .... so you do as the Romans (Americans) do.

Quote:
OP: I've never been to Findlay but if it's anything like most Ohio small towns, which I'm sure it is, you would be fine being a minority however you *will* probably get stared at at the grocery store. It's an unfortunate truth.
Well, at least you do admit what I say is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 06:55 PM

32 posts, read 30,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
My grandmother dressed kind of strange and my people did all kinds of strange things like all men on the right side of the church and all women on the left side. It's not the way things in America are done and you are in America .... so you do as the Romans (Americans) do.
I have literally no idea what your point is, but the reality is a daily or at least weekly practice of Christianity is completely normal and not questioned at all in America. For someee reason, we cannot afford other religions the same courtesy.

Quote:
Well, at least you do admit what I say is true.
Um no. What you said was offensive and racist. What i said? Well I get stared at in the grocery store in my hometown because I "look like a lesbian" so. Make of that what you will.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:59 PM

615 posts, read 1,390,642 times
By all means, research the recent flood history of any living space you are considering. For reasons I don't understand, the Blanchard River has gone out of its banks several times (late winter or early spring) in recent years. It had flooded from time to time since Findlay was settled, but it used to be rare, and suddenly became more frequent.

You may want to shop for a larger home than you would expect. Much of the city has only about 2' of dirt between the lawn and limestone bedrock, thus homes with basement are hard to find, so having room for your stuff above ground is important. Note that your housing budget will buy you MUCH more in Findlay than it would in L.I.

Last edited by 313 TUxedo; 03-30-2017 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: Fix typo: I -> It

Old 03-30-2017, 07:11 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,001 times
Quote:
Um no. What you said was offensive and racist. What i said? Well I get stared at in the grocery store in my hometown because I "look like a lesbian" so. Make of that what you will.
Muslim is not a race, dingbat.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:51 PM

32 posts, read 30,740 times
Quote:
Muslim is not a race, dingbat.
I'm fully aware of that. However, anti-middle eastern sentiment is running strong right now and those are races.

Clearly you have no better responses?

Old 03-31-2017, 06:42 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
In regards to running, wanted to note that Dave's Running shop has a running group in Findlay. They have a very active running community. A friend of mine does their half marathon and marathon program in the fall and spring. I live in Toledo which is not far from Findlay and am familiar with Findlay but not all that much. All I know is it is a nice town and it is not some sort of country, po-dunk, hill billy sort of place. It is a working to middle class community primarily.

Also NW Ohio has lots of organized races and an excellent park system so I think you will enjoy running here.

On diversity, Findlay is very white but I wouldn't say that it is not accepting. Most white people are nice and accepting. In regards to the comments regarding hijab, we do have a pretty large population of Muslims in NW Ohio in the Toledo area and its suburbs and there is a large mosque not too far from Findlay. FWIW I'm black and know and have worked with quite a few people from Findlay and have never experienced any sorts of prejudice from those people. I've also gone there for events. I don't think there will be any issues in regards to ethnic or religious diversity.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:46 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
Will also note if you don't want to live in Findlay proper, you can always look to Lima, mentioned earlier, which is not that far from Findlay or Bowling Green, which is a college town so has more diversity. Also Perrysburg was mentioned and it is a nice suburban area of Toledo. All of the above are within 30 minutes of Findlay.

Honestly as a black person, I wouldn't mind living in Findlay. Seems nice to me and I don't really care what color or religion someone is as long as they are not an a$$hole. I don't know about housing there though.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:28 PM

656 posts, read 2,314,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjya2002 View Post
Hi, I am moving from Long Island, NY to Findlay, OH. I am a bit skeptical about the life in a small town. I have lived in smaller towns like Greenville, SC but not sure how is it living in Findlay. What is the best place to rent? Any suggestions on good apartments. I am also a runner, so would like to know how is it for running. Do we have parks and grounds? Also do we have local races? I don't see many shopping options except a few stores like Sears and Kohl's. It also seems to be a white community so how is the acceptance of outsiders?
Well, I'm not impressed with most the apartment setups in town. You may want to try the East side of town in the Deer Valley Lane area perhaps?

The runners I know pound up and down the sidewalks, which aren't always in the best condition (if there at all). I remember a friend-of-friend's post about taking a spill down by the Main Street railroad tracks. He wasn't a happy camper. There are some parks that could be used for running courses I imagine. The closest friend I know goes up to Toledo for 5k runs. I also know the paper advertises running events like the 5k Glow Run, 5k Turkey run for Thanksgiving, and the like.

Also, as far as shopping, I'll be the first to say online purchasing will give the best value.

Quote:
Outsiders: As long as you're a generally nice person and you blend in, nobody cares. If you're going to wear a hijab and demand that your employer install a foot wash, you should probably look elsewhere. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
Quote:
And yes, hijabs in Findlay are a no-no. If Christians can't express their faith in public because we live in a secular society, it rubs people the wrong way that certain people feel entitled to an exception. I am slightly more open-minded than the average person, and even I have no use for those rags. Leave them back in the country where you came from. I am also speaking at the child of immigrants and I would tell my own relatives the same damn thing.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. And in the Rome that is Findlay they don't wear hijabs.
*sigh* Coming from a Findlay native, whose family has been here long enough that my grandfather's likeness hangs in the antique photo gallery adorning the walls of the Firehouse subs on Tiffin Avenue, I support women who wear hijabs in this town. I know a handful of Sunni women and the best advice from them is if you don't feel safe, wear a beanie, but otherwise practice as you will.

However, that doesn't really answer the original question though. Yeah, it's a predominantly White community and race seems to be the keyword in that sentence but what specifically are your concerned about yourself that will be the hang up, arjya?

Old 04-15-2017, 02:15 AM

224 posts, read 296,952 times
Findlay to me is an Awesome area! Very nice, very low crime and people in general are very nice to each other there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio