Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 04:09 PM

840 posts, read 759,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Driving up to the pittsburgh region this weekend, so this caught my eye.

There are a lot of *small* formerly steel towns on the ohio/pittsburgh border. I'm not sure that they'd be what you're looking for, as you seem to be thinking of a larger town.

While the towns have a quaint "yesteryear" charm, most of this area was decimated by the collapse of steel and has yet to really recover. Think steubenville.

I'll be staying in East Palastine (ohio), which is less than 5 miles from the OH/PA border. It's North of Pittsburgh, I'd say a 45 minute to hour into the city.

I'd say visit the Pittsburgh region (it's a neat one) more and determine if you really want to move, then determine whether you want to be rural/suburban/etc and plan accordingly.

I don't think that moving to the edge of Ohio for a possible commute occasionally to Pittsburgh will gain you much.

best of luck
Thank you...yes, I will have to go and take a look and see if I really want to be in or near Pittsburgh. I want to live away from a city but near enough to take advantage of cultural offerings but so far don't like the inner ring suburbs of Cleveland all that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 07:30 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,040,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
Thank you...yes, I will have to go and take a look and see if I really want to be in or near Pittsburgh. I want to live away from a city but near enough to take advantage of cultural offerings but so far don't like the inner ring suburbs of Cleveland all that much.
I don't get it. You don't like older industrial Cleveland, so you naturally gravitate towards Pittsburgh. I like both towns, don't turn this into a C v. P thread. I suggest Dallas or Austin. Lets really address the problem and not dance around the issue.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:52 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
If you don't like cleveland then probably wouldn't like anywhere in eastern Ohio or Western Pa.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:52 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Much nicer than air travel too.
This caught my eye. What do you mean? E.g., more spacious seating?

BTW, as an actual bus passenger, what do you think of the Cleveland Greyhound station? In another thread, one poster made some disparaging comments that didn't make much sense to me.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:35 AM

840 posts, read 759,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
I don't get it. You don't like older industrial Cleveland, so you naturally gravitate towards Pittsburgh. I like both towns, don't turn this into a C v. P thread. I suggest Dallas or Austin. Lets really address the problem and not dance around the issue.
I'm not "naturally gravitating" towards Pittsburgh - just curious as I've read good things about it. And my intention isn't to create a Cleveland vs Pittsburgh thread (?) or I would have said so. You're way off about Texas...being a New Englander I find that state a bit unappealing...I like quaint...I like historical...I like 4 seasons...I just don't like the blight and depressed areas and crime in Cleveland. But thanks...

Old 05-05-2017, 05:48 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
You might want to visit Salem, Ohio. I don't know how easy it is to get to Pittsburgh from here, though. It's south of Youngstown, so closer to Pittsburgh as the crow flies, but highway access can make a big difference in travel time.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:11 AM

912 posts, read 1,731,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
You might want to visit Salem, Ohio. I don't know how easy it is to get to Pittsburgh from here, though. It's south of Youngstown, so closer to Pittsburgh as the crow flies, but highway access can make a big difference in travel time.
Salem is a good suggestion, although it actually takes a little longer to get to Pittsburgh from there than somewhere like Canfield or Poland. From Salem, you could either take OH-165 to North Lima and get on I-76 there, or take OH-14 to the PA border, where it becomes PA-51, and then take I-376 into Pittsburgh. Those routes would probably take 1 hour, 20 minutes to an hour and a half.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:31 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
If you like small charming towns I would look into Cortland, Canfield and Poland. Although, you will probably view the whole of the Youngstown area as you do Cleveland (or worse).

Old 05-10-2017, 01:37 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,731,182 times
Salem is a great place. It has just about everything in town that
you most probably would want.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:45 PM

912 posts, read 1,731,907 times
What about Toronto, Ohio down in Jefferson County? It seems like a nice small town. Less than hour from Pittsburgh, and you have Steubenville and Weirton, WV right there for most of your needs. Plus, Weirton has Dee Jay's BBQ with some of the best ribs I've had anywhere in the country - including North Carolina and Kansas City. And it has a Tudor's Biscuit World, which is probably my favorite regional fast food chain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio