Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 08:22 PM

279 posts, read 587,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenevolentB View Post
Since when has it ever been beautiful to drive through Portsmouth, Portsmouth Gal?
And the new shops? Where are they?
All I see is the same business being recycled into new building equally...still nothing.
Do you live in Portsmouth? If so, and you don't like it, MOVE! and if you don't move, quit complaining and start doing something to make it better. Too many people want to complain but don't want to take action! All the talk in the world isn't going to fix anything. Sitting behind your computer talking bad about the town isn't doing anything. If you want it to be better, get off your butt and do something to make it better. It doesn't take money to help your town out! Volunteer to teach people new skills or for Big Brother/Big Sister. Or how about just picking up the phone and calling the cops when you see something that appears to be a crime in process! If you are so inclined and safety isn't an issue get out there do something about it yourself. I read some one complaining about the prostitutes - go talk to them - help them find a way out of there situation - my guess is they are in a situation they don't want to be in!

I'm just saying DO SOMETHING BESIDES COMPLAIN! Your failure to act isn't helping any!

BenevolentB: This isn't aimed merely at you but at everyone who is complaining and not doing anything to improve the situation!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 08:42 PM

279 posts, read 587,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spec 4 View Post
Thanks for the reply - I hope the jobs do come back and you get the best one; however, I don't hate P-town soely because of the crime, drugs, portstatutes etc., it's a combination of things really. The half #% teaching, the lack-luster attitude(which is probably why it died, or is dying) and the "we bad" attitude of the West Side - and I am allowed to feel this way, I am not wrong to feel this way. I like to be around progressive people, thinkers. We didn't get cable on the West Side until '82. The cable company didn't realize we watch T.V. also, I guess. In six weeks you knew, if you read your books, more than the teachers did about the subject, which they didn't care about in the first place, but hey OUR team won, right? Which I have to admit, did me a lot of good - I apply for jobs all the time and they don't care what I know, just if my highschool had a winning team, that really enhances the quality of my life - their winning I mean. I am not even going to get started on people that burn things down for the insurance money.
If you like it great - stay there, grow old raise kids and grand kids, may one of them be rich and famous - but I HATE the place, always have, always will!
Best of Luck to Ya!!!
Maybe one day, with lots of hard work and dedication the City of Portsmouth, Ohio will live up to your FINE (or should I say "refined") Cincinnati standards. Cincinnati City Schools are the best in country and the find people of Cincinnati commit no crimes. In fact I hear Cincinnati is so safe there is no longer a TV show on about the Police Women of Cincinnati and that they are working on disbanding law enforcement in Cincinnati. Furthermore, I heard the world's oldest profession (prostitution - See I spelled it correctly with my fine *****way County Education – and trust me my English Grammar/Spelling is HORRIBLE) has closed up shop in Cincinnati because the economy in Cincinnati is so good they are importing people from Columbus and Louisville to work! they have like negative 50% unemployment there right?

Wait, sorry, I just made all that up, none of it is true, and I am a complete smart ***! Come on, get over it, I'm not sure why you keep complaining about Portsmouth but nobody likes whiners and nobody wants to hear people whine or complain. You left for your "greener pastures" so go enjoy them and leave the decent people of Scioto County alone! You are only going to get ahead in life by who you know and hard work! Unfortunately, who you know has a lot more do with it than what you know. So get a better attitude and move forward instead of looking into your review mirror of life.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 01-31-2013, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,789 times
Default Great place to grow up

I grew up in southern ohio (by the Elks Country Club) and it was a great place in the 70s. I had a great childhood, in a great place to be from. I remember when the mill closed and some of my family left Portsmouth. I left after graduation to go to college and returned after college for about year. Married a west sider and left again (i liked "We Bad" comment). All my family has left Portsmouth to do greater things than they could have if they would have stayed. I want to return and buy my dream farm in a few year when i retire but i'm afraid its not safe. Plus my wife absolutely does not want to go back.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:10 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,209,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincyman View Post
As a former Portsmouth resident living in Cincinnati the worst place I could tell you to avoid is Portsmouth, Oh. It has corruption in the highest levels of
government of any small city, it is high in crime, prostitution and domestic violence and it has more residents on welfare and public assistance insomuch that those few employed as myself stood out. Ironically, the place I was employed was considered a major employer for the area but did little to help the economy of the area. Since this is a public forum I won't tell you what it is or what I did there.

For those of you still living in Portsmouth or Scioto County and wish to leave, come to Cincinnati's surrounding areas. They are close-knit with prosperity mixed in. I welcome you.
I on;y ewad the first three posts and then the area clicked for me. Portsmouth Ohio. Isn't this area filled with drugs? I am not sure if it was oxycontin, or crystal meth, but I remember reading somewhere that this area is filled with people who use , buy or sell one of these drugs and that because the area is at the edge of several states, people come here to obtain these drugs.

I am sur there are some decent people who live in the area who are not involved in this and I have a lot of sympathy for them. Does any one care to tell me why this city was selcted as the hub of drug activity? It seems there is a reason behind it and I don't think that it's the presence of college students. These are not drugs used by college students.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:11 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,688,997 times
^ Anecdotally - in Ohio, rural areas that don't have some kind of industry or tourism and people who aren't living and working on farms tend to have extremely strong illegal drug traffic. IE: Clinton and Fayette Counties (western OH) have relatively weak local economies but not a high prevalence of drug trade, I think because of farming being the main economic drivers of Clinton and Fayette. The farm based counties are fairly wholesome. (Exceptions: have noted a druggie subculture around Hardin County, and I have heard a lot about gangs around Lima and Findlay.)

As you move farther east into counties with poorer, hillier terrain that is not good for farming, as well as weaker local economies - hello skanky meth losers. Basically, the Appalachian Ohio counties are pretty rough. Pike County and east and south.

But I believe Portsmouth is extra bad even for an eastern/central Ohio area. I don't live in Portsmouth but back in the 80s I visited some people down there with a friend, and I also have gone to some functions in Waverly, a bit north.

Main impressions:

The area around Portsmouth is *dirty* and trashy. You see mounds of trash at every bend along some roads. (I've been told that many people there are too dirt poor to pay for trash hauling.)

My friend, who had family down there, told me stories about someone living outside town who would get robbed *EVERY* time they left their house. Apparently some scum who lived near there were hiding and watching the property and would radio to a friend when the people would leave the house that the coast was clear. Also my friend's family had a rental house that a guy who was "renting" almost never paid rent on.

When I went to a function at a picnic shelter in Waverly there were broken hypodermic needles scattered on the patio of the shelter.

And most of the observations above are over 20 years in the past. So I'm sure it's even worse now.

To me Portsmouth and the immediate area has always looked on the surface like a God forsaken s!!thole.

It's just a bad area. A trashed-out, evil local culture.

Last edited by Ohioan58; 02-12-2013 at 11:23 PM..

Old 02-14-2013, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,687 times
I drove through Portsmouth a month ago, and well the fact that I am posting in this thread shows you what an impression it left on me. I have been all over-CA/LA/FL/GA/TN/PA. I have seen some horrible communities...but nothing compares to Portsmouth. I was in shock. House after house after house just crumbling down, deserted, covered in grafitti. People trolling the streets, obviously homeless and sick or on drugs. I immediately started googling everything and anything about Portsmouth-I just had to know what the HELL happened to this town. Seriously, I have seen some sad communities, but this is like stepping back into a third world country. Truly truly horrific.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,664 times
what about the Shawnee U? Ive got children interested in attending the university....is campus safe?

Old 02-20-2013, 08:44 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,209,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momfrompa View Post
what about the Shawnee U? Ive got children interested in attending the university....is campus safe?
For the good news, Shawnee seems to have many excellent programs and the tuition is the lowest in the state. Don't know about the town though. The campus might be safer.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:44 PM

498 posts, read 1,502,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPY1 View Post
I'm just saying DO SOMETHING BESIDES COMPLAIN! Your failure to act isn't helping any!

BenevolentB: This isn't aimed merely at you but at everyone who is complaining and not doing anything to improve the situation!
what is being positive and typing on a message board alone doing to curtail local corruption, cleaning up the dirtiness, or stemming the availability of drugs in portsmouth? so far, nothing.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 10,484 times
oh my, how right you are..easily the most depressing cities in America! I am native of bradenton florida, and am here simply until my children graduate from the local univ.

The people appear to be beaten down by life, no one smiles or has a good word. I am not of Appalachian descent, so am automatically not trusted. No one knows my family! I could easily rant on, but I'm sure you get the drift..

congrats on getting out! I look forward to leaving with my entire being...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio