Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2007, 12:11 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,276 times

Advertisements

I live in Eastern Lorain County near Elyria and Lorain and I just wanted some opinions on what everyone thinks of these two cities since I don't hear that much about them on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 07:32 PM

89 posts, read 372,126 times
I was borned and raised in Lorain. Just recently I moved to Warren. I'm not too surprised that there hasn't been any replies to this post. I don't care for either Lorain nor Elyria and I am so happy to have moved. Especially now with the way Lorain City Schools are going, they just keep getting worse and worse. The whole city does actually. I would never return there if I didn't have family to visit.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:53 PM

66 posts, read 339,869 times
My family moved to Avon Lake in the 50s, but we always looked to Cleveland. I remember the pink smoke (of the Ford plant?) in Lorain, meant we were almost home.

Our only contact with Elyria was to do county seat kind of things. It was also our portal on the Ohio Turnpike, at Exit 8.

It has always been so easy to bypass these cities in my lifetime, that I only have passing acquaintance with them. Lorain has always seemed gritty, but has wonderful assets (like the lake, classic architecture, ethnic diversity, and great transportation infrastructure, etc.)

Strange. It was my home county, but I know nothing about Elyria, its county seat.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:32 PM

Even though Elyria and Lorain are almost about the same size there are some big differences between them. Lorain doesnt really have a downtown because most of the businesses are along Broadway which runs North to South. Elyria has a central square downtown. Lorain is 22% hispanic and Elyria is only 3%. Lorain has lost many jobs because of the closings and downsizings of very large employers (Steel Mill, Ford Plant). Elyria has lost jobs too but not as many as Lorain. Neither of the cities is that bad, but Lorain is pretty gritty in some areas and has lost a lot of people. Elyria looks a lot nicer than Lorain, but the Southside of Elyria (Near Middle ave. and West ave., 15th St.) is decayed and has a high crime rate.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:34 PM

Since we got off topic on another thread I thought Id bring this thread back just to talk about Elyria and Lorain or Sandusky.

I dont mean to make the South Side of Elyria sound bad again, but I was over my friends in Elyria today and looked at The Chronicle. It said a few things about the southside that werent too good. But at least they have the Special Unit back, but on the same page SEND could lose $23,000 and possibly close. Here is some things the paper said:
"SEND got its start in 2001 and has since worked to turn around South Elyria- An area plagued with drugs and Violence"
"A fight between 2 young boys nearly escalated to a riot at the Wilkes Villa public housing complex...Police arrested 5, a crowd of nearly 100 people formed."

Theres also a lot more about it. At least they are doing things to address the problems down there though, it seems to help a little. A lot of neighborhoods in Lorain dont get the help like South Elyria does. I think they should also be concerned with other neighborhoods too though. The Southside may be the worst, but every neighborhood in Elyria has some problems, they should be concerned with keeping those areas nice too.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 7,357 times
Avon is awesome IF you are a middle class (or higher) and Caucasian! The schools are the best around!! Kids learn and are held to high standards!!! Low crime rate!!! Streets are always clear and in good shape... Cost for homes are more but you do get a MUCH better place to live!!

Lorain was in the last several years ready to it rock bottom BUT recently has had MUCH improvement!!! The elementary schools are better than the junior high & high schools... !!! They have been adding new houses all around and making things nicer!!!

Elyria schools are very bad.... run down, out dated material , bad teachers, someone is making BAD decisions!!! Closing fire departments (THE NEW ONE) tells you the shape they are in!!! I do not feel safe at night... police do NOTHING to prevent crime!!! Elyria has a HORRIBLE mayor right now.... Streets will cost you a lot of car repairs.... I would rather live in Lorain !!!

Old 04-10-2008, 10:37 PM

I would have to disagree with that. Overall, Lorain looks 10 times worse than Elyria does. Lorain is in pretty bad shape right now. They have built some new houses, but that hasnt changed much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio