Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 01:37 PM

22 posts, read 91,669 times

Advertisements

My husband currently is working at the General Motors plant in Wilmington, DE. The future of the plant is looking glum. We feel that within the next year or two the plant will be shutting down which will force us to move. He was already forced to move from the Baltimore plant, when they closed the doors there, to the Wilmington plant back in 2006. We are looking ahead and he has put in for a job transfer to any of these four plants. Lordstown, OH, Bowling Green, KY, Charotte, NC, and Martinsburg, WV. What I'm asking for is for any information about these areas that will help us in deciding what area would be best for our family. We currently live in the York, PA area and my husband drives 1.5 hours to work everyday. We have a colonial style 3 bedroom home worth about $230,000 located on an .17 acre lot and we pay about $3,400 in property tax every year. If we are to relocate we would like to find a new to fairly new 4 bedroom home that is close to the gm plant (no more 1.5 hour drive), with about 1-2 acres of land, priced around $250,000 or lower, low property taxes, within an excellent school district. We have two children. One is currently in first grade and the other is to begin kindergarten this fall. The school district that our children would attend is very important to me. I would also need to be able to get a job as supportive staff member or guest teacher within the same school district our children attend. Here in PA kindergarten is only half day unless there is a need for all day. If any one knows how kindergarten is ran in any of the states we are looking at please let me know. If anyone knows how the cost of living in any of these states compares to living in York, PA please let me know. (ei. housing, groceries, utilities, etc) Also, I would like to be close to a Walmart and a grocery store. I don't want to have to drive 30-45 minutes do the weekly shopping. Any information that will help in our decision as to where to move is greatly appreciated.
Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 02:34 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,119 times
1.5 hours will get you anything between Cleveland, and Pittsburgh.
Your best bet would be Ellsworth Township 7miles South of Lordstown. It would meet all of your requirements, and then some.

We have heard that Lordstown will get a Cadillac, and a sub-compact after the Cobalt is done. I don't know any details. Seniority is high here. Is your husband management, or union?

Old 03-14-2008, 03:26 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
lordstown ohio - Google Maps

As you can see by this map Lordstown and the Youngstown-Warren area are both an hour from both cleveland and pittsburgh. Many people from the area travel to both cities for concerts, cultural events, shopping, etc.

As for nearby Walmart's and grocery stores there are plenty w/in 20 minutes or so.

lordstown ohio - Google Maps

If you look at the above map there is a superwalmart at the corner of Rt.82 and Elm Rd. north of Warren, and there is another Walmart south of lordstown on mahoning ave. in austintown. There are also 2 malls and several shopping centers, restaurants, and big box stores in both Niles and Boardman. Austintown also has a lot of shopping available.

As for cost of living, the Youngstown-Warren metro has the lowest COL in the US as well as the cheapest housing. I think it is reasonable to think you could find a 4 BR house on an acre or 2 for between 170k and 250k in Lordstown or Newton Falls, both areas are pretty rural.

Here are some links pertaining to Lordstown itself:

Welcome To The Village of Lordstown

LORDSTOWN LOCAL SCHOOL DISTRICT

Also, if you are looking for excellent schools you may want to look into City of Cortland, Ohio, Bazetta Township,Howland Township or Champion Township.

Here are links to school districts in those areas:

Lakeview Local Schools, Cortland, OH (cortland and bazetta)************************************************** ********************************************* Bazetta News

Howland Local School District Howland Township Web Site

Champion Local Schools

Newton Falls Homepage

Newton Falls Exempted Village Schools

Ok, that's all i have for now, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

BTW, I heard the other day Lordstown is getting the new small cadillac and the redesigned G6.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
1.5 hours will get you anything between Cleveland, and Pittsburgh.
Your best bet would be Ellsworth Township 7miles South of Lordstown. It would meet all of your requirements, and then some.

We have heard that Lordstown will get a Cadillac, and a sub-compact after the Cobalt is done. I don't know any details. Seniority is high here. Is your husband management, or union?
South Range Family

You asked about my husband's seniority? Do you work at the plant there? He is an hourly assembler with 1997 seniority. Would you know anything about weather there's a chance that he would be accepted there? Or is his seniority too low?

Old 03-14-2008, 05:13 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
I know a few people there that have seniority of 2000. I would assume he probably would be on an off shift.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:18 PM

No, I don't work there. I have a goofy sister with 1977 seniority. I know that she doesn't have near as much horsepower that she used to.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:55 PM

I have been checking out the different links that have been posted and it got me to wonder if there is any public or community pools in the area that we could join for the summer months? Here in PA we belong to a pool and that's where me and my two kids spend our summer together. They really enjoy being able to get out and socialize with their friends at the pool during the summer.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:20 PM

The only one that I can think of would be the indoor Salem community pool. Salem is a nice town 3 traffic lights South of Lordstown. Of course 3 lights around here is about 15 miles. Most people around here have their own pools or ponds. You can also swim in Berlin reservoir. This is a very rural area.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:56 AM

Do any of the townships in the area offer youth soccer and football? Both of our children are very involved in sports within our township and I would like them to be able to continue to play soccer and football and maybe even basketball during the winter. Again, I have an almost eight year old son and an almost 5 year old daughter.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:19 AM

All of the schools offer pee wee and highschool sports. Baseball fields are set up everywhere. North Jackson has a bunch of soccer fields on Bailey Rd. Canfield has soccer fields set up at the fairgrounds. I'm sure that you could find any kind of youth sport that would interest you.

Go to Google Earth. Type in 44451 as the zip code. You should be looking at the intersections of Route 18 (Mahoning Avenue) & Route 45 in North Jackson. Due North of that intersection on 45 is the Lordstown plant. East is Austintown, West is Lake Milton. Travel South on 45. You will see the open farm lands of Ellsworth, then Salem. All towns and major intersections are 5 miles apart. Tell us what you see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio