Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2017, 09:55 AM

43 posts, read 90,679 times

Advertisements

I am hoping that someone knows the answer to this:

Everything went horribly wrong in court. I may $10 an hr and my ex makes $70k a year. The judge ordered that I pay my ex's attorney's fees. Got the bill over the weekend, it's $6,000. I live out of state, and can't afford this nor agree with how the judge ruled on everything. Does anyone know the statue of limitations on such or any other options I should take? Yes, I am considering bankruptcy, but hate to ruin my 700+ FICO score. Believe me, I've been trying to find a job for 7 months now, what I can get, is all $10 an hour where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 10:24 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
There's no "statute of limitations" involved here. You do have a very limited time to file an appeal, so you need to do that quickly. I would spend a little bit of money to get real legal advice (you should be able to find someone in your area who does domestic relations law who will do a free or $25 or so initial consultation). Yes, I know you are in a different state, but some of the same principles apply everywhere. If you find someone licensed in both OH and NV, so much the better.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:30 AM

Thank you for that info -I was hoping there was a statue on it. Hiring an attorney is out of my budget. I am financially treading water. Thank you very much again!

Old 09-09-2017, 02:31 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackarachnia View Post
Thank you for that info -I was hoping there was a statue on it. Hiring an attorney is out of my budget. I am financially treading water. Thank you very much again!
See if there is a Legal Aid office in your area. They can direct you to an attorney who will take your case pro bono if your income is low enough.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:47 AM

When it comes to family court, the state where the case originated from, has jurisdiction. I had also contacted NV Legal Aid and they turned me down, saying they have too many cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio