Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 06:55 PM

9 posts, read 9,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
One of the considerable drawbacks of Midwestern life, is the difficulty in finding a romantic partner, unless of course one fits the traditional cultural rubrics. Being almost (not quite) a generation removed from age-65, I can't personally comment on the dating-dynamics for that age group, but anecdotal evidence is that that's still too young to enjoy the putative male demographic advantage. That is, the widows looking for a partner are going to be predominantly much older. And because there isn't much emphasis placed in the Midwest on career-aspirations, the normal advantages of a person who's enjoyed a successful ~40-year professional career are, shall we say, somewhat muted.

OP - what is your personal stance on matters of religion? This would play a significant role in your potential dating prospects in Ohio.
The difficulty of finding an appropriate someone can be daunting even with a population of 8 million in my experience, but your point is well taken.

I guess when the time comes caution will have to be thrown to the win and look toward the future when I get a little older - LOL. Then again I find older women interesting so maybe there's hope.

Religion is not something I do which may further limit the odds, but it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
I'd definitely suggest to be within one hour maximum drivetime from a top-ranked hospital, and probably more like 30 mins.
I'd like to avoid hospitals and go peacefully or quickly - LOL

Old 10-13-2017, 04:52 AM

13 posts, read 27,909 times
Default don't walk away from Oakland--RUN AWAY!

Hello, Leaving 510!

Yours truly is 70+ Summers old and born and raised in Akron/Cleveland.

COME
BACK
HOME!

I came back--so can you. Plan now!

Plenty of great things happening here (harsh Winters excluded), but, all in all, great place to live.

Finding a partner? No problem. The trick is finding one, as we say, without too much "baggage" these days. Crazed and fragmented family relationships, booze, drugs and yes--the "opioid epidemic" is here as well. Cook that over with the nonsensical rubbish on tee-vee, movies, and social media these days--and some people soaking all that up turn out to really look like a "dream partner," but may turn out to be your "nightmare dream."

Bottom line: your own knowledge, wisdom, and personal experiences should steer you right.

My picks for you if Akron is your family base: Stow, Tallmadge, Cuyahoga Falls, Munroe Falls, Twinsburg, Northfield, Macedonia, Sagamore Hills, Green, Reminderville, Copley, Richfield--all very pleasant, low crime, generally decent people.

I have many friends in Cali--and all they ever say is: "I gotta move out," but never do.

Hike in the best Park System in the nation! Like the Cuyahoga Valley National Park: SPECTACULAR!

Old 10-13-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexans2010 View Post
Hello, Leaving 510!

Yours truly is 70+ Summers old and born and raised in Akron/Cleveland.

COME
BACK
HOME!

I came back--so can you. Plan now!

Plenty of great things happening here (harsh Winters excluded), but, all in all, great place to live.

Finding a partner? No problem. The trick is finding one, as we say, without too much "baggage" these days. Crazed and fragmented family relationships, booze, drugs and yes--the "opioid epidemic" is here as well. Cook that over with the nonsensical rubbish on tee-vee, movies, and social media these days--and some people soaking all that up turn out to really look like a "dream partner," but may turn out to be your "nightmare dream."

Bottom line: your own knowledge, wisdom, and personal experiences should steer you right.

My picks for you if Akron is your family base: Stow, Tallmadge, Cuyahoga Falls, Munroe Falls, Twinsburg, Northfield, Macedonia, Sagamore Hills, Green, Reminderville, Copley, Richfield--all very pleasant, low crime, generally decent people.

I have many friends in Cali--and all they ever say is: "I gotta move out," but never do.

Hike in the best Park System in the nation! Like the Cuyahoga Valley National Park: SPECTACULAR!
NewTexans - thank you for the great post with photos - beautiful!

As the song goes you can check out but you can never leave. I appreciate your 'all points covered post'! I have a penchant for Cleveland Heights, Chagrin Falls and a little bit for Hudson although but I haven't stopped looking and will take another look at those you mentioned. Me always takes a long time to make a decision so the pressure is on.

My biggest obstacle to pulling the trigger is the sun. I am a sun person and feel like I'll die without it (although I know that's not true) and the reason I moved out west 40 years ago. I have actually done an internet search to see if I could find other people with the same reaction. There are always trade offs and that is a big one, but I'm a big boy now and hopefully I'll pull myself together. It just seems totally insane somehow.

I come back to Ohio twice a year to visit family so I know there are lots of good things - thanks again for chiming in!

Old 10-14-2017, 04:59 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving510 View Post
My biggest obstacle to pulling the trigger is the sun. I am a sun person and feel like I'll die without it (although I know that's not true) and the reason I moved out west 40 years ago.
If you engage in outdoor activities, even just hiking, it can help immeasurably with the gloom of winter. Ditto with other activities, such as attending plays, concerts, etc., and visiting museums.

Last edited by WRnative; 10-14-2017 at 05:11 PM..

Old 10-14-2017, 05:01 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
Delaware is nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio