Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 04:50 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,145,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Dozens of new businesses, a renovated Opera house, and new Cincinnati University Campus...people can choose to live in the past orlook towards the future. Your type of person is the yesterday type. I'm the tomorrow type, thank God! Get back to me in a few years...you will see.
Cincinnati State, however, is located in a former bank building. Middletown will never be another Hamilton. And that should tell you about everything you need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 05:09 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,374,430 times
You are right, it won't be a Hamilton. It's its own city. The only reason Middletown's downtown is in the shape it is is due to the idiotic City Centre Mall the city installed in it's downtown. Middletown lost decades due to that tragic mistake. It is now starting to make up for lost time. Engines are running. Again, you will see. No it's not Hamilton, it will evolve into it's own unique self.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:25 PM

By the way, Middletown was the first city in Ohio to enact an open liquor district, so good news Perry, next time you visit one of those seedy bars, feel free to walk around forlorn Middletown with your brewski in hand. Again, it's not Hamilton. Which reminds me of something I heard from a Middletown politician last time I visited. His proposed campaign slogan was "I'm gonna build a wall between Middletown and Hamilton and make Hamilton pay for it!!!". Cheers!

https://www.google.com/amp/www.journ...CdcWJ/amp.html

Old 11-18-2017, 06:52 PM

But don't stumble outside the DORA. Here's a map

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat.../?format=1000w

Old 11-19-2017, 08:12 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,743 times
The pettiness on this thread is unreal.

OP, best of luck, I'm glad to see you defending Middletown.
It'll be a long uphill slog, especially with that attitude. I sincerely hope the investment works out though, and that you are able to bring others to your side and rid Middletown of its blight.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:26 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,024 times
Quote:
You are right, it won't be Hamilton. It's its own city... No it's not Hamilton, it will evolve into its own unique self.
Very much so. As you've made clear, your sole interest is in Middletown, therefore I'd like it to be my focus also. Although I'm well aware of both Middletown's past and its present-day environs which negatively play into almost anything said about it, I'm like you in that I envision a renaissance of sorts in its downtown. In fact, it's your willingness to make investments there that has piqued my own interest in this thread.

Granted, the demise of Middletown's downtown can be much attributed to the failure of City Centre Mall, but no more so than can the overall effect that I-75 had on the city and the entire region. This super-corridor sucked the commercial life out of everything not near it. Decades ago, a step closer to the new expressway, Breiel Boulevard emerged as the first challenger to downtown, but in turn, that thoroughfare lost out to Towne Mall immediately adjacent to I-75. Now, even Towne Mall isn't enough, as area shoppers tool up and down I-75 for miles to make more and more big-box, brick and mortar purchases.

Downtown Middletown presents an entirely different picture. Though pretty much void of large-scale retail, it offers a challenging opportunity for entertainment, drinking, dining and cultural activities, plus a storied residential refinement all its own. It could function somewhat like OTR to Cincinnati. As you've mentioned, such gentrification will be a gradual one, but doesn't necessarily require years to take place. As seen in your links, in Middletown it's already begun.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
You are right, it won't be a Hamilton. It's its own city. The only reason Middletown's downtown is in the shape it is is due to the idiotic City Centre Mall the city installed in it's downtown. Middletown lost decades due to that tragic mistake. It is now starting to make up for lost time. Engines are running. Again, you will see. No it's not Hamilton, it will evolve into it's own unique self.
City Centre Mall was the right decision in its time and day. The three Columbus sister malls that Dick Jacobs also built (Eastland, Northland and Westland) are also toast today. Eastland is hanging on, just barely with no anchors. Things change, traffic patterns change, things generally evolve for the better. City Centre/Towne Mall was right for its time and day. It's not right for today.

The main reason I think City Centre Mall doesn't work is not because of the mall itself, but because there is a much better selection of shopping in Dayton and in Hamilton/Fairfield/Liberty Twp. Back in the old days, Dayton had essentially the same things Middletown had mall wise, just more of it, and Hamilton/Fairfield/Liberty Twp. had nothing, so there was no real burning need to drive to these places to shop.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
By the way, Middletown was the first city in Ohio to enact an open liquor district, so good news Perry, next time you visit one of those seedy bars, feel free to walk around forlorn Middletown with your brewski in hand. Again, it's not Hamilton. Which reminds me of something I heard from a Middletown politician last time I visited. His proposed campaign slogan was "I'm gonna build a wall between Middletown and Hamilton and make Hamilton pay for it!!!". Cheers!

https://www.google.com/amp/www.journ...CdcWJ/amp.html
The thought of someone who lost at a pool match in Buck's Sports Bar stumbling around outside with an open container probably makes me less likely to want to go to Middletown, not more. But, whatever works.

All jokes aside, I did see those pockets of gentrification Downtown, but my overall impression was not of a gentrified area. When I drove through Middletown, it gave me the same feeling as when I drive along Harrison Ave. or Queen City Ave. and I just don't see Price Hill ever getting gentrified.

Last edited by PerryMason614; 11-19-2017 at 01:40 PM..

Old 11-19-2017, 06:02 PM

City Centre Mall was a valiant attempt to save downtown but back-fired, but in an odd way, it highlights Middletown's rather ambitious spirit, at least in the past, and I believe is starting to reawake. As far as I know it was unique in the country, plenty of cities created carfree pedestrian malls, skyways etc, but how many enclosed their whole downtown? It backfired.

And thanks motorman, you are exactly the type of Cin-Day resident that will hopefully appreciate having a nearby rejuvenating urban district to enjoy. Said it before and I'll say it again, there are tons of struggling downontheirluck small/midsized Midwest cities like Middletown, but few have a more advantageous location with which to leverage a sustained Renaissance. The entire I-75 corridor is filling in and once it does, a whole new generation will discover a slowly polishing urban gem, with way more history and character than the neverending suburban sprawl of Southwest Ohio.

By the way, another asset coming on line soon is the Sorg Mansion, purchased by a Baltimore couple who have been refurbishing it with a plan to launch a bed and breakfast sometime next summer. One more star aligning. Possibly by next summer, visitors can stay at the Sorg Mansion, take in a show at the Opera House, and enjoy an increasing number of restaurants, shops etc in downtown Middletown.

https://youtu.be/mB9t_2wmUHw

Last edited by midwest1; 11-19-2017 at 06:23 PM..

Old 11-19-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:

And thanks motorman, you are exactly the type of Cin-Day resident that will hopefully appreciate having a nearby rejuvenating urban district to enjoy.
I'm not a Cin-Day resident and anything involving motorman ... well, you can fill in the blanks. I have no use for fanboys, I like to keep it real. And the reality is, good luck with your project--You're going to need it.

I wouldn't bet my lunch money on a resurgence, if I were you. There are some places that have the "it" factor and other places that don't. Hamilton has "it"; Yellow Springs has "it"; Bellbrook has "it"; Oakwood has "it". Springfield, Middletown, Lima, Washington Court House, Xenia and a bunch of other places don't have "it" and they never will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio