Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2017, 04:38 PM

420 posts, read 468,868 times

Advertisements

How far are these fields from the actual cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 07:31 AM

908 posts, read 1,417,372 times
Well, the ones in western Athens County are about 70 miles SE of Columbus and at least two hours east of Cincinnati. There are some more that are about an hour and a half east, ENE, and ESE of Columbus in Harrison County and somewhere else that I don't remember at the moment. There are probably more, but I'm not sure where they are. But essentially, the big ones are not near Cincinnati or Columbus.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:47 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,255 times
Not that I know of. It's big here, especially around Noble and Belmont County

Old 01-07-2018, 04:16 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,326 times
If you look at corporate jobs, including refineries, you have Ashland Chemical (old Marathon Oil arm, I believe) in Columbus. Marathon is in Findlay (corporate HQ and refinery), which is NW Ohio. That's a good two-hour drive from Columbus, three or so from Cincinnati.

Ashland, KY, which is tucked just south of the Ohio River near Ironton, OH, and Huntington, WV, has a major Marathon refinery. That's a slog on back roads from Cincinnati. Down US-23 from Columbus to Portsmouth and then US-52 to Ashland.

If fields are what you want, and you are flying here for work, I would recommend checking Akron or Cleveland airports first. Pittsburgh may also offer flights. I have been on flights with oil and gas workers on the plane to Columbus. In a weird twist of fate, I was sitting next to a gentleman from Lafayette, LA. I mentioned I had been there and Morgan City. He was surprised I knew of Morgan City, let alone had been there. Southwest has a good number of flights to Columbus, Pittsburgh. Cleveland also has some Southwest flights. Nice because two free checked bags standard, so helps with equipment.

Most natural gas and some oil is concentrated up in NE Ohio (especially near Youngstown) and portions of E Ohio. Pittsburgh may even be closer to these areas. If looking to live nearby or centrally located to the sites, I would look into Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Akron-Canton and Youngstown. That order with Cleveland and Pittsburgh being a toss-up.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,035 times
The oldest still active refinery in Ohio, and perhaps the country, is the Husky refinery in Lima, OH. It can be traced back to 1870 and the Standard Oil company, when it was owned by John D. Rockefeller. It changed hands a few times in the last 30 or 40 years, like everything else. There is no loyalty to anyone or anything anymore - there is only the almighty dollar and what is profitable for shareholders on the balance sheet this quarter!

Old 01-11-2018, 02:47 PM

5,293 posts, read 5,235,122 times
Marathon has a big refinery in Canton, OH as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio