Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 07:15 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Even if people do say "I'm sorry" you live in Cleveland, as the Florida poster just did, I think it's wise to realize that most people actually do not care at all where you live and it's most typically a joke. People rag on each other all the time over stuff nobody really cares about. It can be just a little tease, not a big deal.
That's true. I say it's 50/50 some people do joke about it and that's all it is. But, you do have some that don't have humor in the jokes and it turns into straight malice. But, it seems like they only say to people from the Midwest more than any other region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 07:57 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
That's true. I say it's 50/50 some people do joke about it and that's all it is. But, you do have some that don't have humor in the jokes and it turns into straight malice. But, it seems like they only say to people from the Midwest more than any other region.
Show statistics and maybe I'll believe you. I think every region gets their fair share. I heard more dissing of the Western part of the country when I lived there than I heard of the Midwest when I lived in that region and have returned. It all depends upon where one is and who's doing the dissing.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:02 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
You may have it wrong I never said I'm unhappy living in Cleveland on CD. All I was doing was pointing out the crap Cleveland gets on CD and other sites, from my experience. I never considered living anywhere else. I love Cleveland to the fullest, I wanna see this small momentum that it's gaining continue.
You certainly don't give that impression on all the threads you post about it so negatively.

But if anyone questions your attitude than it's "Oh but I LOVE Cleveland! Backpedal, backpedal, backpedal. So it's difficult to determine just how you really do feel about Cleveland and Ohio in general.

Yanno, I think you should get out and travel all over the country and talk to people. Go to the West Coast, the East Coast and everywhere in between. It would be fun and you may be surprised. You make so many assumptions as to how others think about your city and state just going by what you read on the Internet. Of course I could be wrong but at least that's the impression you give. And as many here have said, why do you care anyway? If you do, "Love Cleveland to the fullest" you wouldn't give a flying fig about what anyone else says. It's how you feel about your city that matters. Not someone else who doesn't even live there.

Last edited by Minervah; 01-13-2018 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-13-2018, 08:06 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,224,996 times
Quote:
OK, I'll admit I was painting Floridians with a broad brush I let my frustration get the best of me. I'm not sorry for living in Cleveland so don't feel sorry for me.
Thank you. Being born and raised in Ohio I've always been proud of my home state and will defend it til the day I die. Since retiring to Florida I have heard a lot of negativity about it from people that don't know what it's like to live here and I tend to defend it the same way.

I have family in the Cleveland area so no, I don't feel sorry for you. We visit there often and actually miss it to some degree.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:30 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
Quote:
You may have it wrong I never said I'm unhappy living in Cleveland on CD. All I was doing was pointing out the crap Cleveland gets on CD and other sites, from my experience. I never considered living anywhere else. I love Cleveland to the fullest, I wanna see this small momentum that it's gaining continue.
Shhhhh...

Not so loud

You don't want to draw the hipsters into Cleveland. You see what they've done to Colorado and what they are doing to Pittsburgh.

Gotta keep Cleveland a secret

People who haven't been there don't have a clue. I remember going when I was a kid and fell in love with it back in 1978...I was 8 years old. I still love the city.

I've read a lot of positive things about Cleveland lately though and it is a nice change. When I was looking to relocate back north 3 years ago, it was one of 4 cities/areas that I was considering: Cleveland, Erie, Syracuse, Detroit. Just happened to land the job in Erie first

Old 01-13-2018, 08:56 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Shhhhh...

Not so loud

You don't want to draw the hipsters into Cleveland. You see what they've done to Colorado and what they are doing to Pittsburgh.

People who haven't been there don't have a clue. I remember going when I was a kid and fell in love with it back in 1978...I was 8 years old. I still love the city.

I've read a lot of positive things about Cleveland lately though and it is a nice change. When I was looking to relocate back north 3 years ago, it was one of 4 cities/areas that I was considering: Cleveland, Erie, Syracuse, Detroit. Just happened to land the job in Erie first
What the heck is that supposed to mean?

Old 01-14-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
Thank you. Being born and raised in Ohio I've always been proud of my home state and will defend it til the day I die. Since retiring to Florida I have heard a lot of negativity about it from people that don't know what it's like to live here and I tend to defend it the same way.

I have family in the Cleveland area so no, I don't feel sorry for you. We visit there often and actually miss it to some degree.
Well, how do your Florida friends react when you tell them you're from Ohio?

Old 01-16-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Shhhhh...

Not so loud

Hipsters don't think Cleveland or Ohio is hip enough lol . They still think it's the Rust Belt and stuck in a time warp with un-hip people.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:12 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,680 times
Left Ohio in 1987 after joining the Army. A 22 year Army career included a lot of moves, all over the U.S., and overseas. Most people generally view Ohio as being a generic, vanilla state, and still associate it with the Rust Belt.

Ohio is pretty well represented in the military, and you almost always bump into to another Ohioan everywhere you end up being stationed. Most people know the three Cs of Ohio, and not much else. Occasionally, someone will know where Toledo is.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:35 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Ohioans seem to love TN and SC for some odd reason, they love to vacation on these states.

My Cincinnati friends always go to Gatlinburg for vacations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio