Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 10:25 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times

Advertisements

Here's an article on a report that appeared in 2017 in the journal, "Science."

Note that the map that shows the economic impact of man-made climate change on individual states and counties is based on annual expected changes in GDP from 2080 to 2099. Results will likely trend towards these results in coming years.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...e-effects.html

This is a frightening report as it forecasts a general economic collapse of the U.S., perhaps not far-fetched in a much more warm world of droughts and inundation of coastal areas and even low-elevation states such as Florida.

Note that Ohio still is too far south given the onslaught of climate change by 2080. After 2080, only a few counties in northeast Ohio, and one county in central Ohio (I didn't try to figure out which one) are anticipated to experience positive GDP growth. Cuyahoga County is not a positive growing county in northeast Ohio. In a world of possible food shortages and heat (think concrete, asphalt), urban areas may not fare well.

Much more information is available here. I'll probably be noodling through this study for many weeks/months. Definitely click on figure 2 in the following link.

Estimating economic damage from climate change in the United States | Science
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 01:04 PM

227 posts, read 198,158 times
Climate change will be a major factor in the speed at which our empire reaches terminal velocity. So many other factors are at play and climate change will exacerbate them all.

And many of the areas growing the fastest are the most vulnerable to the effects of this change (with exception of the PNW). Scary.

Hey, what about Buffalo? Or maybe homesteading in Vermont?

Old 10-11-2018, 09:36 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
What about nature made climate change, which has been occurring for thousands of years?

Old 10-11-2018, 09:57 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
What about nature made climate change, which has been occurring for thousands of years?
What about it? Is this just another “I reject reality because of my politics” posts?

Old 10-11-2018, 12:25 PM

2,919 posts, read 1,983,944 times
Man made climate change is a gigantic hoax. I should be surprised that well educated and/or reasonably intelligent people have fallen for this con job, but I'm not thanks to so many things I've witnessed over the years.

Heck where I live in NW Ohio I recall the droughts we had for years during the 1970's. We haven't had anything like that since. Today everything that happens is reported as having been caused by global warming. Ridiculous.

Much more likely we have an ice age before all the global warming events some are warning about happen.

As always, just my two cents.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:37 PM

949 posts, read 572,431 times
The impact comes from people that vote for candidates selling religious dribble to dumb people vs. candidates that protect jobs.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Man made climate change is a gigantic hoax. I should be surprised that well educated and/or reasonably intelligent people have fallen for this con job, but I'm not thanks to so many things I've witnessed over the years.

Heck where I live in NW Ohio I recall the droughts we had for years during the 1970's. We haven't had anything like that since. Today everything that happens is reported as having been caused by global warming. Ridiculous.

Much more likely we have an ice age before all the global warming events some are warning about happen.

As always, just my two cents.
With as much respect as I can muster... your "two cents" are shockingly ignorant and full of hubris. I don't even know where to start...

First, the words you use ("gigantic hoax", "con job") says to me you get your information from folks like Hannity and Alex Jones. Not scientists. Not peer reviewed journals. Not people who devote their lives to this. You aren't interested in facts or evidence or scientific consensus... rather, your worldview is rooted in baseless conspiracy's that are driven by your emotional response to a loose and messy 'web of things' that you lump together as "bad"; "the establishment". MAGA, am I right?

God forbid auto-mechanics become part of the establishment... you'll be getting your brake lines fixed by that angry guy carrying around a copy of Behold the Pale Horse. Seriously, I'm not that far off from you in my skepticism and distrust of the powerful, but you can be both for draining the swamp while also maintaining solid footing in reality! For some reason, people like you see less value in the latter than I do.

Second, your anecdotal evidence about NW Ohio in the 1970's is useless, even if it was accurate. That's not how any of this works. Seriously man?

Third and lastly, let's talk about conspiracy's... okay let's look at both sides...

On one side you have thousands of SCIENTISTS, from different countries, in different fields, who've devoted their lives to analyzing the data, measuring ice cap depletion, carbon emissions, etc. coming to a 97% consensus. That's as unanimous as you'll find in ANY field (doctor's, farmers, auto-mechanics, magicians, conspiracy buffs, etc).

On the other side you have uber-powerful elites like the Koch Brothers claiming it's all a hoax based on... pure emotive conjecture.

Follow the money trail my friend... who sets to gain more from their position being accepted as true? Scientists whose salaries are capped at an average of 100k/yr? Or mega-carbon emitters like Koch Industries who will not hesitate to continue raping this planet in quest of reaching that Trillion Dollar mark?

Again, you can both dislike liberals and understand climate change and its impending consequences. I know many preppers who fall into this category... to me they are truly intelligent.

Quote:
A man goes in for his annual check up. His doctor gives him dire news, "You're dying of cancer. You have 6 months to live if you do nothing about it." The man scoffs in skepticism and storms out the office. After much pleading by his wife, the man visits another expert for a second opinion. This doctor shows him the x-rays, blood work and all the diagnostic panels that indicate he has stage 3 cancer. The doctor urges him to begin treatment but the man - full of hubris and distrust of people in white lab coats - again scoffs in skepticism and storms out of the office. Instead of looking at the evidence and listening to his doctors, he died 3.5 months later in horrible pain... still claiming it's all "fake news". He left his family mortified and ashamed.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:04 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,374,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueysBack View Post
With as much respect as I can muster... your "two cents" are shockingly ignorant and full of hubris. I don't even know where to start...

First, the words you use ("gigantic hoax", "con job") says to me you get your information from folks like Hannity and Alex Jones. Not scientists. Not peer reviewed journals. Not people who devote their lives to this. You aren't interested in facts or evidence or scientific consensus... rather, your worldview is rooted in baseless conspiracy's that are driven by your emotional response to a loose and messy 'web of things' that you lump together as "bad"; "the establishment". MAGA, am I right?

God forbid auto-mechanics become part of the establishment... you'll be getting your brake lines fixed by that angry guy carrying around a copy of Behold the Pale Horse. Seriously, I'm not that far off from you in my skepticism and distrust of the powerful, but you can be both for draining the swamp while also maintaining solid footing in reality! For some reason, people like you see less value in the latter than I do.

Second, your anecdotal evidence about NW Ohio in the 1970's is useless, even if it was accurate. That's not how any of this works. Seriously man?

Third and lastly, let's talk about conspiracy's... okay let's look at both sides...

On one side you have thousands of SCIENTISTS, from different countries, in different fields, who've devoted their lives to analyzing the data, measuring ice cap depletion, carbon emissions, etc. coming to a 97% consensus. That's as unanimous as you'll find in ANY field (doctor's, farmers, auto-mechanics, magicians, conspiracy buffs, etc).

On the other side you have uber-powerful elites like the Koch Brothers claiming it's all a hoax based on... pure emotive conjecture.

Follow the money trail my friend... who sets to gain more from their position being accepted as true? Scientists whose salaries are capped at an average of 100k/yr? Or mega-carbon emitters like Koch Industries who will not hesitate to continue raping this planet in quest of reaching that Trillion Dollar mark?

Again, you can both dislike liberals and understand climate change and its impending consequences. I know many preppers who fall into this category... to me they are truly intelligent.
Here is an interesting read from a non-partisan research group regarding your 97% comment above.

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/arti...cientists-many

Old 10-11-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Here is an interesting read from a non-partisan research group regarding your 97% comment above.

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/arti...cientists-many
Here's an interesting read about your "non-partisan research group":

https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Fraser_Institute

Funded by the very same Koch brothers mentioned in my previous post... shocking! C'mon isn't there any credible deniers? I'll be waiting...

And here's an interesting read about climate change consensus from NASA citing that 97% number, including statements confirming consensus from 18 of the largest scientific associations:

https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

Who am I to believe concerning climate science? The hundreds of organizations - consisting of thousands of career scientists - providing massive amounts of supporting data evidence and rational... or the Koch brothers and their minions who only can argue on strawmen and semantics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: