Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 09:29 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,227,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
You don't get more jobs when you cut the quality of public education and universities. Work force productivity and employer profits require a highly skilled work force in the 21st century.
Agreed. Everyone gripes about taxes in MN and MA but look what you get in return.
Also, I like Ojeda. Old school populist pro-union working class Democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 10:55 AM

148 posts, read 459,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Agreed. Everyone gripes about taxes in MN and MA but look what you get in return.
Part of the challenge for Ohio is that it has never invested heavily in higher education. An anecdote that travels around educ circles is that, about 40 years ago, when told that Ohio's higher ed spending was 49th (per capita) among states, a legislator was said to be pleased because we did so much with so little. In the global picture, Ohio has two world-class universities - Case and OSU, when it probably should have three or four for its size. The best thing that the legislature could do to develop metro Cleveland, Cincinnati and Toledo would be to invest heavily in UCincinnati, UToledo, and maybe a consortium of CSU, Kent and Akron. Columbus benefits mightily from having OSU, to the detriment of other universities and cities in the state.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:22 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Average tax burden is actually less in MA vs OH.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodeca View Post
Part of the challenge for Ohio is that it has never invested heavily in higher education. An anecdote that travels around educ circles is that, about 40 years ago, when told that Ohio's higher ed spending was 49th (per capita) among states, a legislator was said to be pleased because we did so much with so little. In the global picture, Ohio has two world-class universities - Case and OSU, when it probably should have three or four for its size. The best thing that the legislature could do to develop metro Cleveland, Cincinnati and Toledo would be to invest heavily in UCincinnati, UToledo, and maybe a consortium of CSU, Kent and Akron. Columbus benefits mightily from having OSU, to the detriment of other universities and cities in the state.
One problem with universities is that they are just as much about culture as they are about education (to be charitable). They are giant, lumbering institutions and do not really change quickly. The schools that are good and well-reputed now are going to be the same schools that are good and well-reputed in 50 years. I don't think state funding can really change this. Even with an infusion of cash, the Akrons and Toledos of the world are still never going to compare. The only change in higher education I can see in the next 50 years will be the closing of smaller universities.

Ohio does have a few elite institutions. Case, Oberlin, Kenyon come to mind off the top of my head. Ohio State and Cincinnati are also well respected. But still, much home grown talent is still always going to look to Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Stanford, Michigan, Northwestern, etc. Ohio simply doesn't have a school of the cache of the next level or two up. I don't think it's really possible anymore to just "make" one either.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:48 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
One problem with universities is that they are just as much about culture as they are about education (to be charitable). They are giant, lumbering institutions and do not really change quickly. The schools that are good and well-reputed now are going to be the same schools that are good and well-reputed in 50 years. I don't think state funding can really change this. Even with an infusion of cash, the Akrons and Toledos of the world are still never going to compare. The only change in higher education I can see in the next 50 years will be the closing of smaller universities.

Ohio does have a few elite institutions. Case, Oberlin, Kenyon come to mind off the top of my head. Ohio State and Cincinnati are also well respected. But still, much home grown talent is still always going to look to Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Stanford, Michigan, Northwestern, etc. Ohio simply doesn't have a school of the cache of the next level or two up. I don't think it's really possible anymore to just "make" one either.
This is wrong-headed. Hiring top-notch professors and providing needed technology and physical spaces can develop a top-flight university.

The ascendancy of Case Western is a perfect example. An infusion of Smith family (Lubrizol founders) funds greatly elevated the quality of its programs and its student base (through scholarships).

https://case.edu/ech/articles/s/smith-kent-h

Kelvin Smith Library: Give to the Library

Every public university in Ohio should have robust artificial intelligence and machine learning programs. I would be surprised if this is a reality. CSU apparently has one artificial intelligence course and no machine learning courses.

https://www.csuohio.edu/engineering/...r-science-mcis

Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science < Case Western Reserve University

Course Schedule: Fall 2018 | Computer Science Department at Princeton University

Old 11-01-2018, 11:50 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Average tax burden is actually less in MA vs OH.
Link?

Old 11-01-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
This is wrong-headed. Hiring top-notch professors and providing needed technology and physical spaces can develop a top-flight university.

The ascendancy of Case Western is a perfect example. An infusion of Smith family (Lubrizol founders) funds greatly elevated the quality of its programs and its student base (through scholarships).

https://case.edu/ech/articles/s/smith-kent-h

Kelvin Smith Library: Give to the Library

Every public university in Ohio should have robust artificial intelligence and machine learning programs. I would be surprised if this is a reality. CSU apparently has one artificial intelligence course and no machine learning courses.

https://www.csuohio.edu/engineering/...r-science-mcis

Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science < Case Western Reserve University

Course Schedule: Fall 2018 | Computer Science Department at Princeton University
Top notch professors want to work at top notch universities. The top notch universities have already been established (for now at least; it takes a long time to ascend nowadays). This is all just general. Of course Ohio does have some truly top of the line profs and programs (especially at the schools I've mentioned). But I think many other states just flat out have more because their elite institutions are just more plentiful and "sexier".

I do have quite a lot of experience with this at one of the aforementioned colleges here. I'm not celebrating this, but this is how it seems to me, from the inside. I know how funding works, I know how professors are, I know how curriculum is developed etc. It's really not as easy as just getting more funding (I wish it were). Even just the funding has thousands of strings attached, even for very simple sounding stuff. I deal with this on the daily.

Last edited by bjimmy24; 11-01-2018 at 12:52 PM..

Old 11-01-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Link?
I was using this: https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/

Perhaps some other studies would show Ohio coming out ahead, but regardless, I would say Mass and Ohio are about even as far as taxes go. The "Taxachusetts" moniker is a bit of a misnomer.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:14 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,090,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
larkin is a far left liberal who needs to go away. anyone and anything against trump that's his story line. Not once reported anything good in two years regarding our president.
Nothing good to report except the economy, which trump inherited from Obama, and trump is doing the best he can to screw that up with his China trade war, among other things.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:01 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,372,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Nothing good to report except the economy, which trump inherited from Obama, and trump is doing the best he can to screw that up with his China trade war, among other things.
I disagree hundred percent. This economy has nothing to do with Obama. The tax cut was the greatest change to this economy along with pulling heavy regulations off of businesses and pulling out of bad trade deals

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/live-...112742973.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...my%3f_amp=true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio