Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 04:09 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,418,861 times

Advertisements

Is it possible that the notorious Republican gerrymander of Ohio's Congressional districts will be history in time for the 2020 elections? Plaintiffs, including the Ohio League of Women Voters, seek in a federal court case to replace the Republican gerrymander in time for the 2020 Congressional elections.

Most interesting in the following article are two maps comparing a non-gerrymandered Ohio Congressional election map against the current gerrymandered Congressional districts foisted on Ohio by the Republicans for the last decade.

https://www.cleveland.com/politics/2...g-lawsuit.html

It will be disgusting if federal courts find that such gerrymanders, which clearly marginalize non-Republican voters and foist more extremist politicians on Ohio, are Constitutional. Non-gerrymandered districts are much more likely to serve the will of the overall electorate rather than the wishes of politicians. With more honest Congressional district boundaries, voters select their representatives; currently, the politicians select their voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 07:02 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Seems unlikely that it would happen that quickly. It'll take the courts a while to reach a decision. If they find in favor of the plaintiffs, it'll take a year or more to produce and implement a redistricting process.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:53 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,973,922 times
Another reason I don't think it will happen for 2020 is that they'd have to then be immediately re-drawn for 2022, when we lose a representative in the house based on the census (probably).

Old 01-11-2019, 11:50 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,981,048 times
Democrats gerrymandered districts before Republicans gained power and did the same. Did you complain then?

Old 01-11-2019, 12:22 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Democrats gerrymandered districts before Republicans gained power and did the same. Did you complain then?
Apples and oranges. The technology, polling and predictive analytics have improved greatly in the last 2 decades. Gerrymanders are much more effective now than they were 20 years ago.

That's why they matter more than they used to.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
I've always complained about gerrymanders everywhere. CA eliminated a gerrymander heavily favoring Democrats. I would support a federal Constitutional amendment banning gerrymanders everywhere; we badly need more partisans who actually investigate and pass legislation rather than political extremists most interested in partisan warfare.

Ohio Republicans have said the gerrymander is wrong, and even supported the Constitutional Amendment approved by voters to reduce it greatly beginning in 2022.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...orm-initiative

Yet Gov. DeWine is intent on hanging on to the Republican gerrymander for one more election cycle. Disgusting.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Yet Gov. DeWine is intent on hanging on to the Republican gerrymander for one more election cycle. Disgusting.
The brand new governor has a legislative agenda and he wants a Republican legislature that will pass it. It's not "disgusting," it's politics. He just wants the same advantage that the last governor had. Bipartisan cooperation is not in vogue right now, so if he doesn't have a Republican legislature, he knows he's going to get nothing passed.

I'm not in favor of gerrymanders, either, but I understand the politics of the situation.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
The brand new governor has a legislative agenda and he wants a Republican legislature that will pass it. It's not "disgusting," it's politics. He just wants the same advantage that the last governor had. Bipartisan cooperation is not in vogue right now, so if he doesn't have a Republican legislature, he knows he's going to get nothing passed.

I'm not in favor of gerrymanders, either, but I understand the politics of the situation.
I understand the politics. That doesn't mean that keeping the gerrymander around any longer in order to distort the wishes of the electorate isn't extremely disgusting and condemnable.

BTW, I think the lawsuit only involves Congressional districts, not state legislature seats, but I could be wrong.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:09 PM

1,078 posts, read 936,934 times
Each party draws the political map to their advantage when in power during redistricting. This isn’t a Republican thing or a Democrat thing, it’s literally the way the system is created to function with regards to the party in power. This one gets a massive yawn from me.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:24 AM

Default Gerrymander lawsuit will begin March 4

https://www.cleveland.com/opinion/in...rong_ohio.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: