Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2019, 01:20 PM

645 posts, read 1,539,810 times

Advertisements

Been looking around these areas for a potential move, and they seem nice to this single fella, no children, retired, and looking to relax and enjoy life... I really like the New England kinda charm these areas seem to have (to me at least), being near Lake Erie, seem vibrant, etc, etc... Not sure I could live in town, as I'd like some breathing room, so thinking going a bit south "out into the country", would be better. So, if you know the area, what can you tell me more than the Chamber of Commerce website?

How do you view the locals? Do they seem insular, unfriendly/unwelcoming to new residents? I know this is a hard question to answer, just the same I have lived in places that had a negative vibe toward "outsiders". I'm friendly to everyone, enjoy meeting new folks, and being a good neighbor so I can't imagine I would have much of a problem. Thinking I will rent before buying a home, so I wonder how is the rental market, and do you think you can buy a modest home in a "nice" rural/semi-rural area, for less than say $200k? I know I can look over the RE sites, but I would have no idea about the area. I do see a LOT of trains go through the area, and I'd like to not have a lot of noise from it.

Even if you don't live in the cities, how is the summer traffic and crowds? How about crime and other potential issues as the area swells during the summer season? I imagine summer weekends are far worse than weekdays. How about more rural areas outside of the towns? Is it blighted much, have a very noticeable "drug" problem? I know drugs are a huge issue everywhere, and some places seem better at concealing it than others.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some questions, so your thoughts and opinions of these areas, their vibe, etc is appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 09:58 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,392,577 times
How is the shoreline heard. I’ve seen videos this week from friends with homes on Port Huron shore that are getting hammered and heavy flooding. They have indicated that this is happening more regularly. Would this be long term concern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio