Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 11:36 AM

13,646 posts, read 9,706,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I never had problems with snow in Cincinnati.
Snow isn't unique to Ohio. It does also snow in other parts of the world. But Ohio, or at least southern Ohio, occupies a transitional region, where snow is sufficiently significant as to impede traffic, but not so endemic as to result in a culture of easy coping and quick removal. The result is considerable difficulties with transportation. Another unfortunate result is how snow-abatement efforts worsen rust of daily-driven vehicles, so that older cars, which may yet be mechanically sound, succumb to degradation of their sheet-metal and structure.

By way of comparison, in the Washington DC region, snowfall is even more paralyzing to local traffic, than it is in Ohio. Why? Because it is sufficiently uncommon, as to not pace the culture, and thus to facilitate rapid response. But snowstorms are rarer in DC, and so, the overall throughout the season is less. For a second comparison, consider the Detroit (Michigan) area. There, snowcover is more or less unremitting from late-December through maybe early March. The result is more of a snow-coping culture, where road-clearing efforts are more robust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 02:22 PM

994 posts, read 967,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Where did you grow up in Ohio? Correct me if I'm wrong, it sounds to me like you hated the place.
I really did once I hit my mid 20s. It was a dead end for me. I never liked snow after I was out of school. All the problems associated with cold and snow . I grew up in Hamilton. Sometimes the snow would stick around for a week or more on the streets I lived on.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:43 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,441,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
I really did once I hit my mid 20s. It was a dead end for me. I never liked snow after I was out of school. All the problems associated with cold and snow . I grew up in Hamilton. Sometimes the snow would stick around for a week or more on the streets I lived on.
I never had a problem with snow in Cleveland.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:11 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
I enjoyed my 17 years in Columbus, but I'm very glad that I'm no longer living in a college town!

I have no desire to move back, and after the last relative moves out in a few months, I'll no longer have any reason to return there.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I enjoyed my 17 years in Columbus, but I'm very glad that I'm no longer living in a college town!

I have no desire to move back, and after the last relative moves out in a few months, I'll no longer have any reason to return there.
What were your issues with Columbus?

Old 10-04-2019, 10:30 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
What were your issues with Columbus?
Ohio State is a huge presence in the city. If you don't mind that, it's fine. If you do, the persistent adolescent feeling and attitude gets old.

Old 10-04-2019, 06:22 PM
on3

498 posts, read 384,463 times
Quote:
I never had a problem with snow in Cleveland.
West side is better than the east side, that's for sure. That Chardon snow belt is a no go. When I lived in Cleveland, I had snow tires. Now that I live in Cincinnati, I don't use snow tires. Don't need em.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:44 AM

1,098 posts, read 901,552 times
I thought I missed snow. After moving back to Colorado from Texas I most certainly do not. I still get excited for big storms every once in a while, but overall it just isn't worth it.

growing up in Dayton was perfect. As others have said it's kind of a battle ground. Some years you get slammed, other years you get next to nothing. It always kept things interesting and I don't think I ever got annoyed by snow, but as I said earlier, now that I'm an adult I'm mostly over it.

Also something that I really don't like about Ohio is all the agriculture. Maybe I've got my tin foil hat on but It just can't be healthy to live in a region entrenched in soy and corn, right? What Ohio used to be and what it is today are two completely different things. I sometimes imagine how awesome Ohio would of been when it was completely wooded. I'm sure this can be said about most regions, but in Ohio it seems more true than ever.

Last edited by Jame22; 10-06-2019 at 10:08 AM..

Old 10-07-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
I thought I missed snow. After moving back to Colorado from Texas I most certainly do not. I still get excited for big storms every once in a while, but overall it just isn't worth it.

growing up in Dayton was perfect. As others have said it's kind of a battle ground. Some years you get slammed, other years you get next to nothing. It always kept things interesting and I don't think I ever got annoyed by snow, but as I said earlier, now that I'm an adult I'm mostly over it.

Also something that I really don't like about Ohio is all the agriculture. Maybe I've got my tin foil hat on but It just can't be healthy to live in a region entrenched in soy and corn, right? What Ohio used to be and what it is today are two completely different things. I sometimes imagine how awesome Ohio would of been when it was completely wooded. I'm sure this can be said about most regions, but in Ohio it seems more true than ever.
Why would you want Ohio to be more wooded?

Old 10-07-2019, 09:34 AM

13,646 posts, read 9,706,599 times
Quote:
The inconsistency is precisely what irritates me the most. If we had to have winter, I'd rather have a a winter with temperatures consistently in the teens and 20s, for several months; then a definitive thaw, and proper spring. The sharp oscillations of recent years... 50s some days, followed by polar-vortex-induced subzero - has been brutal. Indeed, the last thing that I care from weather/climate is that it be "interesting".

Quote:
I too would much rather live in a heavily wooded area than one where forests were cleared for soybean and corn... crops that can't be sold at farmers' markets and only go to animal-feed, processed foods or fuel. It feels like living in an impoverished tropical monoculture, that grows only sugar, for export. Where are the cabbage, the beets, the onions and potatoes and cucumbers and so forth? Backyard gardens, perhaps... but not in the 500-acre expanses traversed by giant $100K John Deere machines bought on credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio