Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 04:27 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,305,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I basically work all day every day. work load has tripledat least. I'm gonna stick with drinking!

I'm happy you're still employed, but what do you do that would triple your workload while staying at home during this epidemic? Do you regularly work from home, or what technical accommodations were made to allow you to work from home?

Do you think your employer will utilize remote workers much more than anteCOVID-19 in the future? Many persons are speculating that this will be a societal/economic trend as a result of this epidemic. If this is a consequence, it could negatively impact downtown Cleveland and other office employment centers.

Is your compensation increased given your heavier workload?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 05:46 PM

11,046 posts, read 12,331,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I'm happy you're still employed, but what do you do that would triple your workload while staying at home during this epidemic? Do you regularly work from home, or what technical accommodations were made to allow you to work from home?

Do you think your employer will utilize remote workers much more than anteCOVID-19 in the future? Many persons are speculating that this will be a societal/economic trend as a result of this epidemic. If this is a consequence, it could negatively impact downtown Cleveland and other office employment centers.

Is your compensation increased given your heavier workload?
I work for a tech company and we have been flooded with distance learning related inquiries from all over the place. I've never been this busy in my life (and cant wait for this to end). I am working overtime so I'm making more there, but my commission structure hasnt changed (I max out after meeting my quota, of quota i doubled, I dont make double). Before we could work from home 16 hours a month. I would typically use that to travel back to new England for extended weekends.

This is just anecdotal, but working from home for me and my team has not been easy, though doable. The general sense I'm getting is people wish they were at the office. I think 2-4 days remote work for a modern and tech capable company is probably reasonable. But I'm not a believer in the notion that it will revolutionize anything. Just me again, but it seems like one of those things you really want when you don't have it and then when you get it, you wish you didnt. Though it had the travel utility. I also dont like the idea of further isolation and detachment from people, neighborhoods, cities, etc.

Old 04-07-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I work for a tech company and we have been flooded with distance learning related inquiries from all over the place. I've never been this busy in my life (and cant wait for this to end). I am working overtime so I'm making more there, but my commission structure hasnt changed (I max out after meeting my quota, of quota i doubled, I dont make double). Before we could work from home 16 hours a month. I would typically use that to travel back to new England for extended weekends.

This is just anecdotal, but working from home for me and my team has not been easy, though doable. The general sense I'm getting is people wish they were at the office. I think 2-4 days remote work for a modern and tech capable company is probably reasonable. But I'm not a believer in the notion that it will revolutionize anything. Just me again, but it seems like one of those things you really want when you don't have it and then when you get it, you wish you didnt. Though it had the travel utility. I also dont like the idea of further isolation and detachment from people, neighborhoods, cities, etc.

Obviously, tech companies like yours, Zoom, etc., are prospering greatly from this epidemic. There always are winners among losers.

Sadly for you, I think you'll be busy for many months as businesses and other organizations attempt to transcend to the new reality. Sounds as if you'll need to renegotiate your salary structure or essentially work for much less per hour.

Perhaps when a vaccine is available, or increased testing allows contact tracing to stamp out the epidemic, your work load may fall off.

Living downtown, do you have time to take walks to the lake (e.g., Voinovich Bicentennial Park) or any place to maintain your sanity? As you're a birder, you're likely also a photographer, and this is a superb time to record Cleveland during this epidemic. It must be amazing having the city almost to yourself.

Also, if a walk to the Lakefront Nature Preserve isn't too far, it reportedly is a good location for the warbler migration which will begin shortly. Do you have a bike?

Are you buying takeout meals from restaurants? If so, what is open?

Old 04-07-2020, 08:15 PM

11,046 posts, read 12,331,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Obviously, tech companies like yours, Zoom, etc., are prospering greatly from this epidemic. There always are winners among losers.

Sadly for you, I think you'll be busy for many months as businesses and other organizations attempt to transcend to the new reality. Sounds as if you'll need to renegotiate your salary structure or essentially work for much less per hour.

Perhaps when a vaccine is available, or increased testing allows contact tracing to stamp out the epidemic, your work load may fall off.

Living downtown, do you have time to take walks to the lake (e.g., Voinovich Bicentennial Park) or any place to maintain your sanity? As you're a birder, you're likely also a photographer, and this is a superb time to record Cleveland during this epidemic. It must be amazing having the city almost to yourself.

Also, if a walk to the Lakefront Nature Preserve isn't too far, it reportedly is a good location for the warbler migration which will begin shortly. Do you have a bike?

Are you buying takeout meals from restaurants? If so, what is open?
I am happy to be employed for sure, but the burnout is real. I'm hoping the rush is now and normalizes sooner than later. Summer is approaching and students will be off, any new contracts can be spread over the summer instead of everything in the same week!

I have been going on runs every day, tpyically down to Voinovich park and then up the trail by Burke. THe Lakefront Preserve is definitely bikeable and it's a lovely spot for migration. Very much looking forward to heading there soon.

I hadn't eaten out at all from the day before the shutdown until last week when I got a sandiwch and crowler from Noble Beast. last saturday I ran out to Goldhorn and got a 6 pack. I'm trying to support places that I want to make sure survive. I see a lot of takeout and delivery going on in my building. I've heard some places are doing better now than before. Maybe not everyone but some places are doing ok. It seems like a lot is open.

Old 04-08-2020, 04:50 AM

Here's a list of Cleveland Independents member restaurants offering take-out and delivery.

https://clevelandindependents.com/rest/?order=all

Based on an e-mail that I received yesterday, here are Cleveland Independents member restaurants offering Easter dinner. Orders must be placed by Friday for Saturday delivery, according to the e-mail.

<<Our members will continue to be open for takeout and delivery through Saturday.

We advise you to place orders for Easter dinners and/or baked goods today [Wednesday] or tomorrow [Thursday]. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter as we post information about member restaurants who are extending these offers.

If you’re thinking of sending gifts to family, neighbors and friends please remember that our gift cards are available. Our e-cards may be emailed in seconds! These are a revenue resource for our members and will be accepted through the pandemic and beyond.>>

https://files.constantcontact.com/16...b26852572b.pdf

Unfortunately, and amazingly, Cleveland Independents doesn't post news releases on its website.

Old 04-08-2020, 05:02 AM

Here's a schedule for the spring bird migrations on Lake Erie's southern shore, perhaps useful when planning a trip to the Cleveland Lakefront Nature Preserve.

https://www.bsbo.org/timing-of-spring-migration.html

https://www.wcaudubon.org/cleveland-...-preserve.html

I believe this article is dated, as the nature preserve now reportedly has three trails.

<<The CLNP is 88-acres and has three trails consisting of 2.5 miles total.>>

Cleveland Lakefront Nature Preserve | Port of Cleveland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: