Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:05 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times

Advertisements

Ok, so last year i promised Boardmanite and SWB that i would do a photo tour of Warren. I finally got around to it this past Sunday. Unfortunately it was a cloudy, drizzly 60 degree day, but i think the photos turned out alright.....Enjoy!

BTW...........here are some links w/info on Warren in case anyone cares: City of Warren, Ohio Warren, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 11:13 AM

The YWCA

This is sad, i believe this house is split into over eight apartments:

The John Stark Edwards House.........he was the grandson of Jonathan Edwards Jonathan Edwards (theologian) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Harriet Upton House

Old 04-24-2008, 11:32 AM

A long shot of the Perkins Mansion, now City Hall. Here's a link to the family's history in Warren Vol. 11, pg 164, Ohio History

The Kinsman House on Mahoning Ave. Behind it is the Trumbull County Visitors Bureau
Quote:
The house was commissioned by Isaac Ladd on land given by Gen. Simon Perkins to his daughter Olive and her husband, Frederick Kinsman.

According to "An Historic Walk Along Mahoning Avenue," compiled by Grace C. Allison and published by the Fine Arts Council of Trumbull County, the house during the 1930s was used as a branch of Hiram College; in 1940 it became a courthouse annex.

The house was restored during the 1970s with an Ohio grant for historical renovation. It was designated a state and national historic landmark in 1971. Alterations made over the years did not disturb historic aspects of the home.

Quote:
First Presbyterian Church
256 Mahoning Avenue NW
Warren, Ohio

Few organizations in our community or state are older. Thomas Jefferson was serving his first term as President of the United States at the time of its founding. The church traces its beginnings to the earliest days of settlement of the Connecticut Western Reserve. Four years after the first settlers began building their cabins along the Mahoning River, the church was constituted by the famous missionary the Rev. Joseph Badger who was serving the Connecticut Missionary Society of the Congregational Church. Badger's diary states: ". . . November 19, 1803, Saturday - constituted a small church at Warren with the following persons by name: Elder William Prior and Betsey his wife, Thomas Ross and Rosalinda his wife, Sarah Davis and Sarah Lane." The Rev. Badger was assisted at the first Holy Communion by the Rev. Tait of Mercer, Pennsylvania, and the Rev. William Wick of Youngstown

The Warren City Amphitheater over looking the Mahoning River- In the summer they put on concerts, free movies and community activities here.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:49 AM

Park of the River walk near the Amphitheater

A shot of Market St. on Courthouse Square

The Trumbull County Courthouse
Quote:
Construction on the courthouse was begun in 1895 and was completed in 1897. It was designed in the Richardsonian-Romanesque style of architecture and features a copper roof, four statues of justice and a four-sided clock tower. It was originally built to serve as the county seat for all Ohio’s Western Reserve. It is located in Courthouse Square and fronted at 160 High Street NW, Warren, OH 44481.

The View from Monument Park looking down High St.
Quote:
This park, which is on the east bank of the Mahoning River and includes a reconstructed log cabin built on the site of Warren's first schoolhouse (circa 1804), commemorates the sacrifices of local citizens in military service.

Civil War Monument

Overlooking the River

WWII Monument

Vietnam

Site of Warren's first School House

Women Veterans

Korean Veterans

Old 04-24-2008, 11:59 AM

YMCA, forget the next building, then the Trumbull County Jail

Historic Mahoning Ave

Women's Park across the street from the Upton House

Stay tuned...........more to come later.............

Old 04-24-2008, 01:10 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Nice pictures. I look forward to seeing more.

If you're interested, I'd suggest getting a picture of the more interesting schools before they're demolished. (It's really a shame that they're going to demolish Garfield Elem. But, at least a small portion of Warren G. Harding H.S. will be saved.)

Old 04-24-2008, 02:21 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,301,450 times
Nice pics Cort...

Here's some pics of the next street over in both directions from where yours were taken. I wish these were in color to give them more "depth".

YouTube - Dirty Old Town - A Tribute to Warren, Ohio

I have been in many of these places and can tell you who used to live in some of the houses pictured too. Crazy...

Old 04-24-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
Nice pics Cort...

Here's some pics of the next street over in both directions from where yours were taken. I wish these were in color to give them more "depth".

YouTube - Dirty Old Town - A Tribute to Warren, Ohio

I have been in many of these places and can tell you who used to live in some of the houses pictured too. Crazy...
Thanks!

Yeah, i've seen that video........they show the Packard plants on Dana st. on there.........i'll be posting pics of that later.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Nice pictures. I look forward to seeing more.

If you're interested, I'd suggest getting a picture of the more interesting schools before they're demolished. (It's really a shame that they're going to demolish Garfield Elem. But, at least a small portion of Warren G. Harding H.S. will be saved.)
Thanks JR, i'm planning on taking some more pics once i'm done w/my semester in a couple weeks.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:12 AM

492 posts, read 2,371,004 times
Cool photo tour! I really liked the cloudy, gray, rainy skies. That's how I remember NE Ohio! haha I saw downtown Warren for the first time by making a wrong turn a couple years ago and I was really surprised. It is quite nice. Good job on the pictures! I'm glad you included all the historical markers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio