Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 08:06 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,460,620 times

Advertisements

Sorry to sound skeptical, BUT, this whole thing sounds fishy to me. It sounds like you would need to pay cash, your OWN cash, as I don't know of any lending agency that would approve a loan where the address of the property is not revealed until AFTER the sale is complete. Perhaps the lady has some nice "lakefront" property in Florida to sell, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 09:06 AM

976 posts, read 3,844,430 times
Irish, Youngstown really is on the rebound. Its really making some huge changes. I think some of the investment has switched from the booming suburbs to the city now. Federal Plaza looked great last i was there, and the Chevorlet Center was very nice and modern as well.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:31 AM

5 posts, read 11,576 times
Ive lived in Youngstown for about 20 plus years,,, Currently on the East side (unfortunately) Dont come here!! Youngstowns crime rate is bad. There poverty is high. You have alot of people that will approach you while shopping, getting gas,,,etc,,, asking for money. There are mostly blacks here,(im white) & i feel soooooo out of place at times, i myself am getting out of here this summer, I wouldnt ever recommend being or living here.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:14 PM

18 posts, read 65,508 times
i live here in Youngstown, and I am originally from Cleveland, Akron, Ohio. It is a good place to live as far as the cost of rents and the cost of living here.
The 44507 zip. Not good. Mine is 44511 and it's not good and Iam moving. The crime here in YO is horrible. That's just my opinion. I will say this if the house is around Mill Creek Park , and depending on which side of the park you're in.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:18 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,860,481 times
Do Not move to Youngstown, I am trying to get out of this area!

Old 10-04-2007, 07:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,554 times
Default turkish family

hi. im from long island,new york. my husband was recently at youngstown for something and he noticed how cheap the homes are. after some searching we decided to more to youngstown. we are looking for a home in youngstown but for some reason i am scared.what is the deal with youngstown?is it a nice place to live or not?we want to move there because my husband wants to live morgage free!but doing this i dont want my kids to live in a dangorous neigberhood.is youngstown dangerous?and schools?what do people do there?can someone give me some info about youngstown?thank you

Old 10-04-2007, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 6,554 times
why?can you tell me

Old 10-04-2007, 08:46 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,888,831 times
I wouldn't move to the actual city if i was you. If you want your kids to go to good schools w/a cheap cost of living, check out the youngstown suburbs as well as the warren suburbs. It's still cheap, but less crime and better schools.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:59 AM

492 posts, read 2,362,596 times
Youngstown is cheap because there aren't very many jobs. It is very wise for anyone considering a move to Youngstown to have a job lined up first. That being said, if you do have a job, and don't live in a bad neighborhood, Youngstown is a great place to live. There is a lot to see and do here and the suburban schools are very good.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:07 AM

25 posts, read 77,355 times
I grew up on the West side of Youngstown (yes, I actually lived IN the city.....horror of horrors! ) and I'll tell you that Youngstown is like a lot of other cities in the U.S....there are bad areas of town and good neighborhoods of town. But, I would agree that the suburbs are a better pick overall. I hate how Youngstown gets this rap for being so full of crime. For the 20+ years I lived there, I myself have never been a victim of all this crime that is supposedly going on around me. I would just say that if you do decide to live in Youngstown, just don't be stupid! Don't leave you're doors unlocked (duh) or leave something valuable in clear sight in the backseat of your car while it's parked on the street (like my husband did) or anything obvious like that. The East side is the worst, the south side has some nice pockets, but is mostly run down and the North side has gone downhill. The West side is still decent IMO, but I would still recommend the suburbs.

Most of the crime going on in Youngstown is drug-related, so if you are not a drug-user, then you should be unaffected by it (like I was).

Youngstown, I think, is a one-of-a-kind city because it has such a rich history. There are a lot of things to see and do around the area. But jobs are an issue, but then it really depends what line of work you do. Seems that there are all kinds of healthcare jobs, for example, but few computer jobs. I never had a problem finding a good job (i'm a nurse) but my husband did (he's a network technician). So it just depends.

Youngstown can be a bargain to live in, but some areas are slums, while others are quiet (the neighborhood around Chaney High School for example, where I grew up is still very nice, area code 44509). If you have kids, I would not recommend the Youngstown Public Schools though. In short, they suck. Another argument to live in the suburbs versus the city.

Just my two cents from someone who grew up within city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio