U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2006, 12:34 AM

5 posts, read 27,274 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone: My wife and I are planning on comming out to Granville this spring, to look for a home. Any information on Granville would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Walter
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2006, 10:27 AM

73 posts, read 299,147 times
be prepared for insane taxes and irrationally priced houses. good community, but pricey.

Old 02-09-2006, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakecotc
be prepared for insane taxes and irrationally priced houses. good community, but pricey.
thanks for that! I live in sonoma county, california. Our 1,200 sq ft house, on a 40 x100 lot, is worth $525,000-totally insane. In Granville, we can own a super fine home in the village for that price, and pay cash. Don't move to california

Old 02-09-2006, 11:17 AM

from the warmth of california to the tundra of central ohio?

Old 02-09-2006, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakecotc
from the warmth of california to the tundra of central ohio?
Yes sir! we are fried on the california experience. My wife and I are both in education, and the infastructure of california is sinking faster than the titanic did. The schools, roads, health system, and social services, are in uncharted waters of decline. Couple this with the unprecidented urban sprawl, insanely overpriced home prices, skyrocketing crime and gang growth, high cost of living, and the growing divide of the social classes(we are getting a rich and poor, and losing the middle), we will forgo the perfect climate, for a more community based life. We moved out here when it was rolling hills, with cows and apples dominating the landscape, and very little traffic. Now it is about sprawl, traffic jams that rival los angeles, and vineyards. The vineyards have taken over. The cows and apples are almost extinct. The vineyards support no habitat, and have created a new class of people here, that live the lifestyle of the rich and famous. That just isn't our scene. As I am typing it is 67 degrees and sunny, but it is raining in our hearts....... Granville sounds like a wonderful place to grow old in, and to become a part of a peaceful community. Walter
PS: I grew up in New Jersey, so we have a good idea of the weather in ohio.

Last edited by waltertore; 02-09-2006 at 02:48 PM..

Old 02-11-2006, 12:11 AM

1 posts, read 6,073 times
Default East-central OH vs CA

Hello,
I moved to this area at the end of July last year. I'm in New Concord right now and may or may not stay right in town, but am certainly staying in the area. I'd like to say that we too feel this is a good place to settle down and eventually retire. That's the plan anyway! The weather here is really not that bad. A change of season without the real cold or real heat of other areas. I'm from the WNY area (Niagara Falls/Rochester/Finger Lakes) originally and have just come from a little over 4 years in west central WY. We're going to be looking for our final home shortly, either purchase where we are or look around the area. I'm sure you and your wife will enjoy it in this area. It sounds like you've had it with CA and I can understand that, although I've not lived there but have friends who do and have visited many times. The weather makes it tempting but the prices and everything else soured us on that idea. You'll certainly find a nice home and a good environment to live in here in this part of OH. Good luck and welcome from one newbie to hopefully another!

Ruthilla

Old 02-12-2006, 09:43 PM

thanks for that info Ruthilla! Walter

Old 02-16-2006, 07:51 AM

well, i must say that granville is the place to live in central ohio. small town, excellent community, extremely low crime rate. if i could afford it, id live there.

Old 03-23-2006, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 6,068 times
Sadly, Granville is slowly losing it's charm. In just the 4yrs since we've been living/traveling between the area and the Bay Area we've seen a once charming 1800's village become overwhelmed by a surrounding sprawl of characterless McMansions suburbia. The problem is only accelerating with the upcoming 4-lane highway extension from New Albany to Granville.

It's hard to avoid the urban sprawl out of the major and even minor cities in Ohio. Having spent most of the last 20yrs in Berkeley, Palo Alto, Oakland, Emeryville and Menlo Park, we've decided on a life experience that doesn't exist on the coasts - country living with lots of space as your neighbor.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:18 AM

13 posts, read 107,595 times
We just moved from Sonoma County to Savannah, GA. We are from Tipp City, Ohio. I can tell you that I completely understand about California--even though we miss it terribly. But, you are right. You really can't enjoy yourself unless you are rich and/or famous. We got tired of watching other people enjoy themselves! You will miss the food, unless you live near a big city like Columbus--and even then, you will miss the food. You will also miss the service. Nowhere in my life did I see better service than in Northern California. I can only attribute it to the fact that people really needed that waiter/waitress job. You will find that people in the MidWest--and everywhere besides where you came from as far as I have experienced--(I have lived in almost 10 different areas of the country)--do not really care about providing good service. Whether it is in a restaurant or a local business--you will find this out for yourself. Now, of course, you will find those wonderful places that totally negate what I have said, but let me assure you that these are few and far between. California does have awesome customer service--at least Northern California does. As far as the schools, you will find the schools in Ohio are generally great--especially if there is a wealthy school. People pay for their schools to be good and the more money they have, the better the school will be. The best schools in Ohio is in Dublin, Oh--without a doubt. Good luck getting a job there, though! All in all, your move will be good. Just remember, Ohio has humidity and it will kill you the first year, but you will get used to it and then appreciate it. We could never get used to no humidity and layering and all that. In the summer in Ohio, you wake up, throw shorts and a tank top on and don't take them off till September! Gotta love consistency. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio