Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2021, 12:52 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,405,369 times

Advertisements

You're reading a great deal into my post that isn't there, and ignoring an important sentence that IS there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I agree that COVID vaccines reduce hospitalization and serious cases of COVID.
If people want to get the COVID vaccine (along with third and fourth boosters, as you note), that is their own business. If I don't want it, that is my own business.

Thanks for the links, but I am not going to spend hours reading about cloth masks (as opposed to medical grade masks) when I can see for myself that they don't stop aerosol particles.

The rest of your post is straw-man arguments against things I never claimed, ad-hominem arguments smearing me as an anti-vaxxer even though I never said anything about vaccines in general (for the record, I'm in favor of most of them, just like 99.9% of the population), smearing me as a liar and propagandist even though I provided citations for everything I said, observational data from which you cannot discern cause and effect (look it up), and appeals to authority and popularity. But hey, I'm the anti-science one, right?

This has been great, but it's a beautiful day outside. Perhaps you might take off the mask and get some fresh air and sunshine, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2021, 04:45 PM

219 posts, read 571,105 times
WR will never remove his mask.
As for most of the rest of us, we ditched the masks a long time ago and will never go back.
Been there. Done that. Not gonna do it again.

Old 10-31-2021, 05:06 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,405,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick St John View Post
WR will never remove his mask.
As for most of the rest of us, we ditched the masks a long time ago and will never go back.
Been there. Done that. Not gonna do it again.
OT, but are you a fan of the show Moonlight? I loved that show!

Old 10-31-2021, 05:32 PM

219 posts, read 571,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
OT, but are you a fan of the show Moonlight? I loved that show!
Great show. Hated to see it go.

Old 11-01-2021, 06:45 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,463,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Please feel free to research and share statistics that demonstrate your concern.
Many of the most useful and relevant stats have been hard to find for the last 2 years, but this is a good place to start: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jmv.27007 (COVID-19 mortality needs age adjusting for international comparisons)

Old 11-02-2021, 12:34 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,450,165 times
Default Dr. Fauci says 10 to 30 percent of infected individuals contract long COVID

<<The pain of coronavirus doesn't end for some people who get even a mild case. Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, warned recently of "somewhat unique post COVID-19 conditions. And we can generally segregate them into two separate buckets," he said. "One"—well, one is obvious—"in which there's residual organ system dysfunction that is directly explainable by organ system damage. However, there are now a number of individuals—anywhere from 10 to up to 30%—who, following clearance of the virus and supposed, essentially termination of the disease, these individuals have the signs and symptoms that are not completely explainable by a readily apparent pathogenic process. >>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...?ocid=msedgntp

<<8. Will Long COVID Last for Longer Than a Year? Maybe a Lifetime?
"We don't know the answer to that, but we know it's at least measured in months because we have now started a study, a multi NIH institutes study, looking at large cohorts of people who have both been infected and uninfected as a control to take a look at this constellation of signs and symptoms," said Dr. Fauci. "You can explain residual organ system damage, but what is completely inexplicable from a pathogenic standpoint is when you have no abnormal laboratory data and someone is incapacitated by fatigue, you know, very, very similar and reminiscent of the myalgic encephalomyelitis, chronic fatigue syndrome. >>

Ohio has reported 1.548 million cases of COVID. A 10 to 30 percent rate suggests at least 150 thousand Ohioans now are suffering from long COVID. This is not only disastrous for the suffering individuals and their families, but also has ominous implications for the Ohio economy and our society.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:27 AM

Default Anthony Gonzalez seeks funds to study COVID impact on the brain

Congressman Anthony Gonzalez (R-Rocky River), who has decided not to run for reelection because he has been vilified in the Republican Party for rejecting the party's Big Lie Trump victory deceit, now is standing up to the pro-COVID transmission politicians who dominate the Republican Party. He's introduced a bill to provide federal funding to study the impact of COVID on the brain.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...-not-seek.html

Gonzalez's bill, “The Brycen Gray and Ben Price COVID-19 Neurological Impact Act,” memorializes a St. Edward (Lakewood, OH) student who committed suicide soon after contracting COVID in April.

<< Before he came down with coronavirus, Strongsville 17-year-old Brysen Gray was a popular student athlete at St. Edward High School who was dubbed a comedian by his friends and family. After coming down with the virus that’s killed more than 740,000 Americans, Gray exhibited neurological problems associated with COVID before taking his own life in April.

Gray’s mother, Tara, said her son came down with coronavirus on a Monday. During his illness, he lost his sense of taste and smell. He wasn’t eating or drinking and had a fever, nausea, and tingling in his arm. He told some friends he felt like he was out of his mind by the Wednesday or Thursday after he got the virus. He was dead on Friday. Gray said her son had no symptoms of depression before contracting coronavirus.>>

https://www.cleveland.com/open/2021/...ille-teen.html

In his press release announcing the bill, Gonzalez noted an article published in an edition of The Lancet, the leading British medical journal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lancet

The Lancet Psychiatry peer-reviewed research article reported an incidence of over 33 percent of a neurological or psychiatric diagnosis in the six months following a COVID infection. The study involved over 235,000 patients.

<<Among 236 379 patients diagnosed with COVID-19, the estimated incidence of a neurological or psychiatric diagnosis in the following 6 months was 33·62% (95% CI 33·17–34·07), with 12·84% (12·36–13·33) receiving their first such diagnosis. For patients who had been admitted to an ITU, the estimated incidence of a diagnosis was 46·42% (44·78–48·09) and for a first diagnosis was 25·79% (23·50–28·25).>>

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...084-5/fulltext

As Republicans mount a national offensive against the upcoming Biden employer vaccine mandate, perhaps they should consider the impact of long COVID on our nation's health, economy, and even national security.

The impact of COVID on the brain is not a new development.

<<The brains of people who died from COVID-19 were remarkably similar to the brains of people who die from neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, showing inflammation and disrupted circuitry, researchers report.>>

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-...vid-brain.html

<<How COVID-19 damages the brain is becoming clearer. New evidence suggests that the coronavirus’s assault on the brain could be multipronged: it might attack certain brain cells directly, reduce blood flow to brain tissue or trigger production of immune molecules that can harm brain cells.

Infection with the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 can cause memory loss, strokes and other effects on the brain. The question, says Serena Spudich, a neurologist at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut, is: “Can we intervene early to address these abnormalities so that people don’t have long-term problems?”

With so many people affected — neurological symptoms appeared in 80% of the people hospitalized with COVID-19 who were surveyed in one study1 — researchers hope that the growing evidence base will point the way to better treatments.

SARS-CoV-2 can have severe effects: a preprint posted last month2 compared images of people’s brains from before and after they had COVID-19, and found loss of grey matter in several areas of the cerebral cortex.>>

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01693-6

Old 11-04-2021, 04:28 PM

Default Inner ear infections may impact infected, non-mask wearers

If you have a sore throat or an earache, it's perhaps wise to get a COVID test ASAP. This is especially true while hotspots of infection remain the norm in Ohio. Early confirmation of a COVID infection could qualify a person for an antibody treatment which might prevent lasting damage to the inner ear. Of course, mask wearing, contrary to the opinion of this forum's anti-science knuckleheads, may prevent an infection in the first place. The best form of protection remains vaccination, including third doses to boost immunity.

<<The Delta variant has changed the pandemic exponentially. The more contagious strain has not only shifted the trajectory of the virus, but also altered some of the more common symptoms. While we became familiar with the most frequently reported signs of COVID early in the pandemic—cough, fever, body aches, among others—we are now adjusting to a newer iteration of the virus that may present differently.

Several doctors told WFLA, an NBC affiliate, that COVID patients are now reporting earaches more frequently than they had before. People are coming in believing they have a run-of-the-mill earache or ear infection, but then end up testing positive for COVID. Nicole Frommann, MD, medical director for TGH Urgent Care in Florida, told WFLA that this is one of the ways the Delta variant is distinctive from the previously dominant Alpha variant.

"The reason we are seeing earaches more often is because sore throat is so prominent [with the Delta variant], and the earache is coming from [the] sore throat," Frommann explained. She added that COVID-related earaches are "usually associated with other symptoms, especially sore throat.">>

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/your...113133619.html

The eustachian tube reportedly is the pathway for inner ear infections, and wearing a mask will limit virus access to throat and the eustachian tube.

<<Researchers said in a new study — published in the medical journal Nature Communications Medicine — that reviewing inner ear tissue and cellular models helped them find out that inner ear cells have “molecular machinery to allow SARS-CoV-2 entry.”

This means that the novel coronavirus can enter through the ears by way of the eustachian tube, which bridges the nose and the middle ear, according to Fox News.

Inner ear infection can cause COVID-19 symptoms such as hearing problems and balance, which may lead to dizziness, the researchers said....

“This article provides very compelling evidence that Sars-CoV-2 infects the inner ear, and may be causally related to the hearing and balance symptoms in a number of patients with Covid-19 infection,” Agrawal said.>>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...?ocid=msedgntp

Last edited by WRnative; 11-04-2021 at 04:39 PM..

Old 11-05-2021, 06:21 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,082,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
If you have a sore throat or an earache, it's perhaps wise to get a COVID test ASAP. This is especially true while hotspots of infection remain the norm in Ohio. Early confirmation of a COVID infection could qualify a person for an antibody treatment which might prevent lasting damage to the inner ear. Of course, mask wearing, contrary to the opinion of this forum's anti-science knuckleheads, may prevent an infection in the first place. The best form of protection remains vaccination, including third doses to boost immunity.
I can't speak for everyone else in this forum, but the crap in bold is one of the reasons why I can't take your posts seriously.

Old 11-05-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
I can't speak for everyone else in this forum, but the crap in bold is one of the reasons why I can't take your posts seriously.
What would you call all of the posters in this forum who ignore all of the documented science in this thread about masks, vaccines, transmission, and long COVID sequelae, and instead attack vaccine and mask mandates?

Even if you don't like my proper characterization of these individuals, why would YOU not take the documented science seriously?

I've had it with all the persons who belittle pro-science posters, yet cry foul when others express their opinion of them. Ohio has 25,000 persons dead, hundreds of thousands inflicted with long COVID, the economy, health, and educational systems greatly impaired, and many families suffering financial distress in addition to the loss of beloved and important family members.

Compared with the nations that applied the science and employed stringent public health measures, including much of Asia and democracies such as Australia and New Zealand, our losses were greatly unnecessary. Why do we now have a political debate not only about COVID vaccine mandates, but also other long-standing, proven vaccines including for polio, measles, hepatitis, etc.???

Congressperson Jim Jordan and other Republicans have called for Ohio banning all vaccine mandates. See post 60 here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio...-regret-6.html

Do you agree with him? If not, why don't you think he's an anti-science knucklehead???

You apparently have no objection to the anti-mask and anti-vaccine "crap" that has so devastated the nation, and also leaves Americans as easy patsies for future, perhaps more deadly viral epidemics, including epidemics caused by engineered vaccines introduced by foreign enemies. Am I accurate about your apparent support, or at least approving acceptance, of anti-mask, anti-vaccine, and therefore pro-COVID transmission sentiments?

Heck, most of the U.S. doesn't employ robust, mandatory contract tracing or quarantine policies. We don't even discuss these important public health measures employed in nations that apply medical science in implementing stringent public health measures. Dangerously pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio