Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 10:55 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,529,513 times

Advertisements

My wife actually was hired as a Long Term Sub for a teacher that was pregnant. When her preganancy turned into twins, she resigned and my wife took her place. But, having gotten her foot into the door with the sub position, she feels like she had a really good possibility of being offered a contact even if the teacher she replaced hadn't resigned. Once they get to know you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 11:16 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,367 times
That is a BIG reason why long-term subs are needed. Not the best pay, but it's pay, your foot is in the door in the district, & it is something to put on the resume. It is also a great way to see if you care for that district, etc. I long-termed sub for a semester my first yr out. Interesting, but a great experience & really let me know exactly the grade I was most comfortable in. I am now a stay-at-home mom but when August rolls around, I miss getting my room ready & organized for the start of year. This time of year...I was always ready to pack everything up & run as fast as possible out the school doors Teaching truly is a great profession.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:51 AM

53 posts, read 338,187 times
Thank you for all of your replies. It seems that there is hope out there. I appreciate it.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:16 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,529,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
That is a BIG reason why long-term subs are needed. Not the best pay, but it's pay, your foot is in the door in the district, & it is something to put on the resume. It is also a great way to see if you care for that district, etc. I long-termed sub for a semester my first yr out. Interesting, but a great experience & really let me know exactly the grade I was most comfortable in. I am now a stay-at-home mom but when August rolls around, I miss getting my room ready & organized for the start of year. This time of year...I was always ready to pack everything up & run as fast as possible out the school doors Teaching truly is a great profession.
Wonderful post! I'm sure that you'll be welcomed with open arms back into a classroom when you're ready! (You could be related to my wife; she feels the same way...)

Old 08-05-2008, 08:47 AM

10 posts, read 32,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohme View Post
i was born and raised here. i cannot find a teaching job to save my butt. everyone i know is moving away. i wish you luck, and if you have a connection, jump on it!

If you want to find a teaching job in Ohio you should look in Cleveland or East Cleveland. Also check into Charter schools. I am a teacher in Cleveland in a very rough area and I LOVE IT.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:49 AM

10 posts, read 32,845 times
Every one that is looking for teaching jobs in Ohio look in Cleveland and East Cleveland.... They are looking

Old 08-05-2008, 09:25 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,732 times
We moved last year to SC so my wife could teach, she had 2 jobs at 2 different schools (the last one wasn't even in her expertise), and both were cut due to budgetary reasons. We were tired of it, she got a job over the phone here after 2 interviews and has enjoyed not only teaching here, but not worrying every year whether she will be laid off or not. She met some of the new teachers this year, and 10 alone in just her middle school are from Ohio or Michigan.

I'm not saying that a teaching job can't be landed in Ohio, but it's extemely difficult and more often than not it's a matter of whether you are a coach or whom you know in the system. A girl I went to high school with just now got her first teaching job in Alliance 5 years out of college! Some of my wife's friends have moved out of the area to here, Charlotte, Greensboro, Florida, & Denver just so they could do what they spent 4+ years in college for and teach.

Ohio keeps worrying about the brain drain and young professionals moving out (we are both 27), but yet they continue to let retired teachers come back and double-dip taking the few openings away from the fresh, new teachers. Now that we've moved to Columbia, we enjoy it a lot, and wonder whether we will ever return to Ohio.

Good luck to all of you treading through the teacher market in Ohio, I saw how difficult it was for my wife those few years. And if you get fed up w/it, there are plenty of openings here in Columbia and throughout the Carolinas that are available! Plus, you don't have that requirement to get your masters in 5 years like in Ohio - but you do get better pay if you do.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:51 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
We moved last year to SC so my wife could teach, she had 2 jobs at 2 different schools (the last one wasn't even in her expertise), and both were cut due to budgetary reasons. We were tired of it, she got a job over the phone here after 2 interviews and has enjoyed not only teaching here, but not worrying every year whether she will be laid off or not. She met some of the new teachers this year, and 10 alone in just her middle school are from Ohio or Michigan.

I'm not saying that a teaching job can't be landed in Ohio, but it's extemely difficult and more often than not it's a matter of whether you are a coach or whom you know in the system. A girl I went to high school with just now got her first teaching job in Alliance 5 years out of college! Some of my wife's friends have moved out of the area to here, Charlotte, Greensboro, Florida, & Denver just so they could do what they spent 4+ years in college for and teach.

Ohio keeps worrying about the brain drain and young professionals moving out (we are both 27), but yet they continue to let retired teachers come back and double-dip taking the few openings away from the fresh, new teachers. Now that we've moved to Columbia, we enjoy it a lot, and wonder whether we will ever return to Ohio.

Good luck to all of you treading through the teacher market in Ohio, I saw how difficult it was for my wife those few years. And if you get fed up w/it, there are plenty of openings here in Columbia and throughout the Carolinas that are available! Plus, you don't have that requirement to get your masters in 5 years like in Ohio - but you do get better pay if you do.
About the schools systems letting retired teachers back and double-dipping, etc., that is ridiculous (that they do this). Ohio needs new, talented blood, in their school systems if you ask me. In any case, my oldest son (24) got multiple on-the-spot offers for teaching in other states this Spring at Career Fair day; none of them were in Ohio. His education degree is in Chemistry/Biology. He's decided to go to S. Korea and teach for a year and then come back and either stay in Ohio or move to another state. All I know is that other states (NV, AZ, FL, NC, MD, KS) offered him on-the-spot contracts if he was ready to sign up that day. Ohio did not do the same.

People constantly ask, "what's wrong with Ohio"? What's wrong with NE Ohio (specifically as this is where we live) is lack of jobs. The weather will always suck (if you're the type of person who doesn't enjoy months upon months of bleak, grey and cold weather; some do, and more kudos to those people, I say), but the basic truth is that NE OH has been going downhill (jobwise) for decades. For those who have gone and built their lives and fortunes elsewhere, good for you, come back here and live because you miss "family and friends", etc. However, for many young and talented people (and anyone else) who cannot seem to get their lives going here in NE OH, due to lack of certain types of jobs, then they have to go to where opportunity lies. They should not be begrudged (as I often see on this forum) for looking to expand their lives and embracing opportunity and change.

Wishing both of you the very best.

Last edited by Donna7; 08-07-2008 at 07:07 AM..

Old 08-07-2008, 07:36 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
About the schools systems letting retired teachers back and double-dipping, etc., that is ridiculous (that they do this). Ohio needs new, talented blood, in their school systems if you ask me. In any case, my oldest son (24) got multiple on-the-spot offers for teaching in other states this Spring at Career Fair day; none of them were in Ohio. His education degree is in Chemistry/Biology. He's decided to go to S. Korea and teach for a year and then come back and either stay in Ohio or move to another state. All I know is that other states (NV, AZ, FL, NC, MD, KS) offered him on-the-spot contracts if he was ready to sign up that day. Ohio did not do the same.

People constantly ask, "what's wrong with Ohio"? What's wrong with NE Ohio (specifically as this is where we live) is lack of jobs. The weather will always suck (if you're the type of person who doesn't enjoy months upon months of bleak, grey and cold weather; some do, and more kudos to those people, I say), but the basic truth is that NE OH has been going downhill (jobwise) for decades. For those who have gone and built their lives and fortunes elsewhere, good for you, come back here and live because you miss "family and friends", etc. However, for many young and talented people (and anyone else) who cannot seem to get their lives going here in NE OH, due to lack of certain types of jobs, then they have to go to where opportunity lies. They should not be begrudged (as I often see on this forum) for looking to expand their lives and embracing opportunity and change.

Wishing both of you the very best.
Thanks Donna7...the sad thing is, we probably never would have even thought about moving had my wife been able to have a stable position b/c I had a pretty good job in my field of accounting. We do miss our family & friends, but it has been an exciting adventure for the most part moving to a brand new city and learning about it and the culture and now that we've done it, we're glad we did.

Hope your son has better luck when he comes back to Ohio if he desires to stay. The other problem is too, even when they hire the fresh blood, the fresh blood are the first ones to go when cuts are needed - not the double-dippers or overhead administrators. One thing that has opened our eyes here is the mass consolidation of schools into districts. Columbia encompasses basically two counties, the majority living in Richland Co. which is about the size of Stark County (Canton area), and it has 2 school districts serving nearly 50,000 students. Where Stark County has close to 20 school distrcits serving approximately the same amount of students. Meaning they have ten times as many superintendents, treasurers, school board members, etc. than needed in my opinion - and all of those are high-income positions. My wife teaches at the Richland 2 SD, and it is oversees 4 high schools, 6 middle schools and like 17 elementary schools, and is considered one of the best in the state.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 20,340 times
Default Ohio teching positions are non-existent

I would definately not move to Ohio if you are looking for a teaching job unless you are special ed. I have been looking for seven years for a job in science, which is supposed to be an area of great need and there is definately no need for any type of teacher in the elementary grades in this area (NE Ohio), but from what I have heard it isn't only here it is all across the state. You definately have to know someone to get a teaching job in Ohio. Most of the people I graduated with are not working in education and if they are.....they moved away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio