Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 09:48 PM

7,570 posts, read 3,241,406 times

Advertisements

SlideRules99

You might find this Podcast very interesting. Note there are commercials at around 16 minutes. It's the first listing (Feb 4); but, might not be on the top depending on when someone clicks into it.

https://feeds.acast.com/public/shows/nextquestion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2022, 08:13 AM

469 posts, read 433,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
SlideRules99

You might find this Podcast very interesting. Note there are commercials at around 16 minutes. It's the first listing (Feb 4); but, might not be on the top depending on when someone clicks into it.

https://feeds.acast.com/public/shows/nextquestion
Yeah, good podcast. I always appreciated Mike Rogoway’s takes on Intel in his Oregonian articles. It’s obvious he’s had inside sources at the company over the years.

I believe it’s likely Gov. Kate did not have the political willpower to creatively seek solutions for Intel’s land expansion needs in OR. Her constituents’ views on Intel are mixed at best.

Frankly, I never felt entirely socially comfortable in Portland with my Intel affiliation. Perfectly fine in Wash Co., not as much in SE PDX…so I never brought it up unless asked. Shallow/ insecure? Perhaps. Since you live there, you may get it.

No surprise that Intel’s executive team refers to feeling “welcomed” in OH, citing the state’s eagerness to work with them, and such. It must be refreshing to them. It is not that way everywhere.

Old 02-06-2022, 11:47 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
It would’ve been nice if we could’ve gotten it here (Pittsburgh). We just don’t have our act together...
Or, there's just nowhere in the Pittsburgh area with the acreage of flat greenfield that Intel demanded (almost three square miles).

Old 02-06-2022, 03:54 PM

7,570 posts, read 3,241,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
Yeah, good podcast. I always appreciated Mike Rogoway’s takes on Intel in his Oregonian articles. It’s obvious he’s had inside sources at the company over the years.

I believe it’s likely Gov. Kate did not have the political willpower to creatively seek solutions for Intel’s land expansion needs in OR. Her constituents’ views on Intel are mixed at best.

Frankly, I never felt entirely socially comfortable in Portland with my Intel affiliation. Perfectly fine in Wash Co., not as much in SE PDX…so I never brought it up unless asked. Shallow/ insecure? Perhaps. Since you live there, you may get it.

No surprise that Intel’s executive team refers to feeling “welcomed” in OH, citing the state’s eagerness to work with them, and such. It must be refreshing to them. It is not that way everywhere.

The Urban Growth Boundary is the issue with land. When I first moved here I cut out an article in the paper with the map of the approved Urban Growth Boundary (still have it). 20 years ago I was still reading a newspaper -- LOL! They have mostly built out the approved Urban Growth Boundary (painful few years dealing with the construction and traffic).

As he said in that podcast... There is no 1,000 acres to be had. And, I believe what he said about a plan with a very long time period (how much work would it take to get that 1,000 acres?). When I moved here in 2002 (not sure what timeframe you were here...) the industrial area was not very full and it's completely different now. I lived 6 miles from my original worksite and I felt like I lived out in the country for quite a long time... Now it is quickly feeling completely suburban bordering on urban. I am unsure of the commercial urban growth boundary (or if there is even a difference). I'm thinking they might have to release farmland in Hillsboro (or nearby) or dairy farms West of Banks (or I don't know what). The problem is at least keeping the current jobs in Hillsboro takes continual new plants ????.... ??? I'm not really sure. But, they cannot afford to lose Intel. Of course, it might make it a much nicer place to live... ???

I moved on from Intel and work for a much more hated entity; since I always lived in the Bethany area I never felt anything but a positive affiliation with Intel (friends in high tech and neighbors are all IT or engineers in high tech (not all; but, a substantial number). Nike really expanded here and there has been a massive expansion in other businesses (when Silicon Valley got more insanely expensive a lot of small start-ups were moving here). Now the Real Estate is no bargain (but, obviously compared to N. CA it is still cheap).

I am not sure where Intel is on the 100 billion dollar 30 year expansion that was negotiated back in (was it 2014?). I follow it because I have friends in high tech (or retired from high tech) and it obviously affects real estate values... They have building one new fab after the other for years and Nike has been building like crazy too).

IT IS NICE TO SEE INTEL IN OHIO RATHER THAN EXPANDING IN CHINA (maybe they are doing both as I don't follow it That closely...

I have a friend from when I was in Santa Clara and Intel was her last job (and it was overwhelming to her). She retired in 2004 and whenever I talk to her I still here about Intel. I'm so glad it's not my last job. I had another friend who left a less than ideal job when she retired. I told her for sure go work some fun job or something so you don't hang onto that bitterness from your last ever job... I have no emotional attachment to Intel (it's on my resume).

Old 02-06-2022, 04:27 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,042,845 times
I used to work for one of the remaining big American semis, TI. For me, I am glad to see the re-investment in large fabs at the cutting edge (sub 10nm nodes).

I think the big advantage that Ohio CAN have is the lower COL and real estate costs. If young grads are interested in raising a family and securing a nest egg, I think it makes a lot of sense (Ohio.) Plowing your money early into the 401k/market instead of enduring $3k/month rent is a big advantage that pays big dividends when you are empty nesters in your 50s.

Old 02-06-2022, 06:22 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
I just started working in the industry; the company I'm at is basically a startup compared to Intel. If anyone thinks these are low paying jobs being brought in, what are you smoking? As an entry level fab technician my hourly wage, shift differential and embedded OT equate to over 50K, with potential to advance. This doesn't include holiday pay, sign-on/annual bonuses and minor raises when you're certified on certain tools. If my job was anywhere in Ohio rather than the overpriced Twin Cities I would make out big financially, even with the COL going up. Imagine what Intel is gonna pay.

This is something to be proud of. This ain't Amazon or some other warehouse, or some tech bro garbage that imports workers.

Old 02-07-2022, 02:48 PM

611 posts, read 365,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Or, there's just nowhere in the Pittsburgh area with the acreage of flat greenfield that Intel demanded (almost three square miles).

Exactly, some are so quick to blame the local area (officials, general public, whatever) for things that happened completely outside of such "influence."

Old 02-08-2022, 05:51 PM

509 posts, read 782,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I never stated that and I never believed that. My response was to the above poster claiming one PhD was the reason.
I never said it was the reason.

I said it was one factor that may have tilted Columbus in it's favor. Since Intel will pull many grads from OSU it's good that the President understands chip manufacturing. Plus they are alumni cohorts, so there may be some cronyism too.

Old 02-08-2022, 05:57 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
I'm pretty sure Intel was more interested in the tax situation than whatever degree the president of a nearby university has.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:19 PM

509 posts, read 782,322 times
You're not the CEO of Intel, so you don't know what he was thinking.

Yes taxes were more important. But you only need a tiny thing to tilt the deal your way. Inception. Get in their head. It's about relationships yo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio