Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 09:34 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,939,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
Yeah, going to be hard to keep that from happening. If the city planners are a bit visionary, they'll start a regional plan for additional park land, sidewalks, solid zoning and housing density. Of course the problem is, everybody wants that house on 2 acres in the country within a 5 min drive of work and restaurants. And when you have 1000s of people willing to pay for what they want - and a few developers that buy up all the land, its all about maximizing profits.

IMO, for Columbus to keep growing, it is going to have to solve the housing problem in a sustainable way, so that a guy making $70k can live in a decent neighborhood and send his kids to public schools. Its going to need parks and sidewalks. They've sold Columbus to Intel for now, the next problem is selling Columbus to 10000+ people that want that house+school+park dream at a price they can afford.
Tech workers tend to be younger, so I'm not sure that most of those workers end up in exurban subdivisions far from amenities, but rather in more urban parts of Columbus. That said, there will be significant growth as well just from all the ancillary development, as well as general additional moves that the Columbus area will attract long-term, so there will inevitably be suburban/exurban sprawl in places. Unfortunately, I don't see Licking County leadership really doing anything to manage that, but Franklin will probably do somewhat better. Either way, this is going to be a boon for urban infill as much as suburban sprawl. For example, Key Bank tower Downtown was just purchased by an out-of-state company that directly cited the Intel project as part of the incentive to buy it, with plans to renovate the building. They already have interested parties to fill in the building's vacancies.

In the short term, housing will be the biggest issue. There's not enough, and not enough has been getting built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Tell that to Biden. He's the idiot who suggested coal miners learn to 'code'. So yes... it's applicable.
I mean, there'd be nothing stopping them from doing that if they had the resources to go back to school, so I don't see why that makes him an idiot for suggesting it. People learn new skills all the time.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
It has to do with his comments... about destroying forests for farms. We have more trees than we did 100 years ago... maybe not in the same places, like Ohio, but trees are trees.
That's more of a function of there being far fewer farmers overall than 100 years ago, and many farming operations being with larger corporations than family-owned. So not every plot of land is some family's farm anymore, hence trees have grown back in some places.

Regardless, farming is not exactly environmentally sound. The chemical use, among other things, is not great. And in Ohio, a good portion of farming is to raise animal feed crops, and those animals are a big link in climate change.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:45 AM
Status: "I've got a fightin' side a mile wide but I pray for peace" (set 11 days ago)

14,463 posts, read 9,528,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I mean, there'd be nothing stopping them from doing that if they had the resources to go back to school, so I don't see why that makes him an idiot for suggesting it. People learn new skills all the time.
Clearly coal miners choose their line of work based on 'other' criteria beyond sitting in front of a computer screen. Sure... some of them are willing and capable, but it's like planting seeds. Put an apple seed in the ground, don't expect tomatoes... even if they're the same color.

People are capable of change, but even that has limitations, but I digress.

We need the chip plant. Only man made solutions can solve man made problems. Ohio is a good place. Good for Ohio.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
The Intel plant will be built in Jersey Township in Licking County, and will be annexed to New Albany in Franklin County. New Albany is an affluent bedroom community (median single detached home price of $600,000). New Albany gets its water & sewer service from Columbus. Most of Columbus water comes from the Olentangy river. The city of Wooster, Ohio averaged 3 million gallons a day of water production for a population of 27,000. The chip plant might use 5 million gallons a day.

The chip plant will probably get its electricity from either AEP or Licking Rural Electric. AEP gets 47% of its electricity from coal, while Licking Rural electric is a coop which gets its electricity from the coal-fired Buckeye power plant (like my coop). The final equation for turning quartz into silicon is SiO2 + C = Si + CO2. The carbon source is coal and/or wood chips. Michael Moore's film Planet of the Humans has a good discussion about using biomass (wood) for energy.

So this plant is going to use a lot of water, a lot of electricity, and a lot of coal, both directly and indirectly.
They recycle most of the water they use, and plan to have it be 100% at some point. They are also planning to use 100% renewable energy. Whether that comes directly from Ohio (which is currently building more solar fields around the Columbus metro, including a couple in Licking County) or through the purchase of carbon offsets, I'm not sure.

And a side note here, Columbus doesn't get all of its water from reservoirs or local rivers. It has quite a few deep wells also for ground water.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
The area I live in is a perfect example of this, Warren County used to be a wonderful place to live but it has been destroyed by the developers in the last 30 years. Air quality is down the crapper, changing the albedo of the landscape has made summers much hotter, traffic backups in places where streets are inadequate and cannot be widened, increased roadside litter, crime so high that taxpayers have to fund a jail expansion, higher noise levels, overcrowded schools and constant tax levies, pompous McMansion people who have changed the culture and character of the area for the worse, the list goes on and on.

I have neighbors who I grew up with and went to school with 40 years ago and we all say the same, Lebanon is not Lebanon anymore.
I would argue that the destruction was not from developers, but from people who demanded a certain product from them. Developers won't build what doesn't make them money or there isn't demand for. A lot of people unfortunately like living in sprawled, lifeless suburbia where you have to drive everywhere. And without a comprehensive development and zoning plan in place to guide development patterns, that's what you end up with.

Old 01-27-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Congrats to Columbus on this monumental win but I do have a couple minor questions...1)Columbus water comes from the Olentangy River/Griggs Reservoir...who gets the water out of Big Walnut Creek/Hoover Reservoir? And will this plant take water from both? If so, how will it affect those bodies of water? I know they have been improving the flow of the Olentangy River through the campus area.

2)I see JobsOhio was highly involved w/ this...I find that disturbing because I've never seen JobsOhio do anything for NE Ohio...yet they did a lot to get GE's big back office facility into to Cincinnati and then this into Columbus...why won't they do anything to help get something like this into Cleveland? They gave us no help when we were potentially going to lose Sherwin Williams HQ...thank god the County and City stepped up to keep them here....

3) How will this help the rest of the state? It's going to take a lot of tax dollars to add infrastructure in booming Central Ohio...that could take away from the rest of the state...and how will it benefit areas like Cleveland or Toledo or Cincy?
On 2, I don't think this was about JobsOhio focusing only on Columbus to the exclusion of other places. Intel had a specific list of things they were looking for in a potential site. Only 35-40 sites nationally initially made the cut. I suspect the Licking County site was the only one they considered because it was the only one that had everything they were looking for. Keep in mind, at least 39 other states lost out on this too. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of JobsOhio by any means- they've had a spotty, shady record at best, but I just don't think site selection came down to them.

On 3, one possibility is that local companies in those cities could end up being part of the overall supply chains of Intel or any other tech or ancillary companies that come to the region. Ohio is a relatively small state, like 34th in area, so you're not talking about significant distances between its major cities. There will be spinoffs and all sorts of other companies giving the state a new look for investment and location. That won't always be in the Columbus area. It might require Cleveland, Cincinnati, Toledo, etc. to really step up their game maybe more than they have been, though. Any of those places have positives that they can offer.

Old 01-27-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
JobsOhio has a network of six regions that cover the state. When Intel reached out to JobsOhio, JobsOhio sent the specs to all six regions asking regional directors for potential sites. Apparently only Columbus responded with a potential location, which ultimately was selected.

As far as benefits to the rest of the state…

New and existing suppliers will set up shop in OH to service the needs of the new mega-chip complex. My guess would be any place within a couple hours via interstate will be viable. Here’s an example showing the mayor of New Philadelphia positioning to attract suppliers.

https://www.timesreporter.com/story/...ys/9208740002/

In-state college graduates and technical professionals will have an in-state mega employer to launch careers. Good for anyone looking to remain in OH after graduation, and good recruiting point for OH colleges.

Wealth creation anywhere in the state will have some spillover effect in places like Cincy, CLE, etc. People take day trips, spend entertainment money, and the likes.

Public Relations. If all goes well, Ohio’s image will see a boost as a premier tech hub and perhaps the rust belt image will be buried. This likely spurs additional investment and attracts talent to the state.
Wait, so only Columbus offered them a site? Why wouldn't any of the other regions even try?

Old 01-27-2022, 12:19 PM

469 posts, read 417,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Wait, so only Columbus offered them a site? Why wouldn't any of the other regions even try?
From the Dispatch…

<“One Columbus was the only regional partner to respond with a potential location: Jersey Township in western Licking County, near New Albany. It hadn’t been on the state’s radar, but the township featured many desirable traits: vast areas of farmland, affordable utilities, ample water supply (the factory would use 5 million gallons a day), and proximity to universities, highways, an airport and more.”>

https://www.dispatch.com/in-depth/bu...io/9183683002/

Appears none of the other regions (except Columbus) had sites meeting Intel’s criteria. Or else the regions simply dropped the ball. I assume it’s the former.

I’m sure Intel had VERY specific specs…within xx miles of international airport, university, etc. Along with the obvious acreage and utilities requirements.

I am not sure how anyone can throw rocks at JobsOhio on this. They hit a home run for the state.

Old 01-27-2022, 01:33 PM

382 posts, read 506,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
From the Dispatch…

<“One Columbus was the only regional partner to respond with a potential location: Jersey Township in western Licking County, near New Albany. It hadn’t been on the state’s radar, but the township featured many desirable traits: vast areas of farmland, affordable utilities, ample water supply (the factory would use 5 million gallons a day), and proximity to universities, highways, an airport and more.”>

https://www.dispatch.com/in-depth/bu...io/9183683002/

Appears none of the other regions (except Columbus) had sites meeting Intel’s criteria. Or else the regions simply dropped the ball. I assume it’s the former.

I’m sure Intel had VERY specific specs…within xx miles of international airport, university, etc. Along with the obvious acreage and utilities requirements.

I am not sure how anyone can throw rocks at JobsOhio on this. They hit a home run for the state.
Cleveland.com had information on why they could not find a spot to support Intels specifications. In short, not enough land that was greenfield in proximity to Hopkins airport. This a very general statement but if you listen to some of the podcast they go into more detail as to why it didn't work in the Cleveland area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio