Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2014, 10:05 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,799,455 times

Advertisements

I may be imagining things, but I think Steubenville native Dean Martin spoke with a slight Southern accent. Do you consider the Appalachian parts of the Buckeye state to have a Southern influence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 06:55 PM

381 posts, read 642,263 times
Definitely. Even in Columbus, it's fairly common to hear a southern drawl now and then. Lots of people moved here for work from Kentucky and West Virginia. Some of the towns along the Ohio River have a pronounced southern influence like Georgetown.

Last edited by Fletchman; 09-20-2014 at 07:06 PM..

Old 09-20-2014, 07:52 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,259,223 times
No, I don't. I have a lot of family from the Steubenville area (my mom's side of the family was and is hill people). A lot of the inhabitants are ancestors of the Anglo-Scotch-Irish (as well as Pennsylvania Dutch and Welsh) who continued to push inland into the country's interior (and moved from the coal mines of PA into the coal fields of Ohio and West Virginia). While their speech in unique, I don't find anything southern about it

Old 09-20-2014, 08:11 PM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I may be imagining things, but I think Steubenville native Dean Martin spoke with a slight Southern accent.
He spoke with an eastern Ohio accent.

Quote:
Do you consider the Appalachian parts of the Buckeye state to have a Southern influence?
No. Parts of Ohio do have an Appalachian influence, however. Appalachian does not equate Southern, and vice versa.

Plenty of people from Tennessee and Kentucky drove up the Dixie Highway to Detroit to work in the factories. Why don't you go on the Detroit forum and ask if folks up there speak with a slight Southern accent?

Old 09-20-2014, 09:58 PM

24,091 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Since moving to North Eastern Ohio, I have met quite a few people whose families moved here, to work in the steel mills or the auto manufacturing industry, from points south. Mostly, West Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee.

Some older relatives of some people that I have met, absolutely have southern accents and eat traditionally southern foods.

The area is diverse, and by no means is everyone here from those states, but I've met quite a few who are.

There are also people with "country accents", that can easily sound "southern" to city and suburban ears.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:41 AM

870 posts, read 1,568,184 times
Some of my family moved to the Akron area from rural southwestern Pennsylvania and north-central West Virginia for work years ago and they were constantly made fun of because of their accents and called hillbillies.

The accent Dean Martin had is very common throughout eastern Ohio, northern West Virginia, and southwestern Pennsylvania. While it has some similarities to the more southern areas of West Virginia and Kentucky, the accent is more Pittsburgh influenced. But I imagine the southern Appalachian migrants had a harder time because of their thicker accents.

I worked in Columbus for several months and no one commented on my accent. However, I did hear quite a few jokes about Kentucky and West Virginia.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:44 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I may be imagining things, but I think Steubenville native Dean Martin spoke with a slight Southern accent. Do you consider the Appalachian parts of the Buckeye state to have a Southern influence?
Yes. For a long time, the joke in eastern Kentucky was to learn the three R's - "readin, ritin', and route 23 north". A lot of those people found work in factories in Ohio, and are now second and third generation.

Old 01-31-2024, 04:14 PM

2,642 posts, read 1,371,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
He spoke with an eastern Ohio accent.

No. Parts of Ohio do have an Appalachian influence, however. Appalachian does not equate Southern, and vice versa.

Plenty of people from Tennessee and Kentucky drove up the Dixie Highway to Detroit to work in the factories. Why don't you go on the Detroit forum and ask if folks up there speak with a slight Southern accent?
I lived in southern Ohio for 22 years, around Gallipolis and Jackson, and never once heard a native describe themselves as being "Southern". I never heard any of them classify themselves as being anything other than Midwesterners. Not saying there aren't strong Southern cultural influences, but they still don't identify themselves as being southerners.You do see Confederate flags here and there, but in that region it is more of a symbol of a redneck or right wing outlook, or they are trying to project a "rebel" image, not to identify themselves as southerners. You see the same thing in other rural areas of Ohio and the Midwest.

Old 02-01-2024, 09:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Dang it, I and my southern accent are moving to the Cincinnati area in 2024!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio