Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 09:09 AM

6 posts, read 4,519 times

Advertisements

I've been on the job search journey for the past 4 months and things are looking bright as I am down to 2 promising offers-YSU and another university in the Norfolk, Virginia area.

With no knowledge of neither areas, so I have to rely on the opinions of the local citizens, to make a decision, quick. Responsibilities and Salaries for both jobs are equivalent and both offer hybrid schedule.
The main deciding factor is literal would I be happy staying there?

I felt as though my life has been adrifted to places where I didn't feel belong but needed to be there due to immigration or financial reasons ever since my adulthood. That said, I'm currently at a small town Louisiana for almost 2 years, and I'm ready to move on as I have no commonality with folks here.

I'm a single foreign female, no kids, in mid 30's, hold conservative view on fiscal and social issues in my personal life, but believing in libertarian governorship. I've traveled to 35 states, lived in 4 and 3 other foreign countries.
These are the main few criteria I'm looking for in my next move:

- Vibrant community or people that have lived/ traveled aboard, interesting life experience
- Availability of single men for date (+15, -2years gap) of similar intellect capacity
- Able to enjoy my hobbies - being out in nature for a hike, gardening, painting, variety of library events, thrift store deal hunts, local history and museums exploring, playing strategic boardgames
- General Safety as I'll be staying alone and I am not versed with any protective arm practice
- Variety of ethnics cuisine and grocer stores

(least concern):
- Professional Sport teams or culture revolved around this
- dark winters scare isn't the top of my concerns. Having lived in subtropical and tropical climates for 2/3 of my life, I'm growing some resistance towards persistent heat index of 100+ summer days for most of June till August.

Would you suggest I should accept this offer considering the social and living aspect?
If so, what area should I be staying that is within an hour drive to YSU? Thank You all who chips in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2023, 03:58 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,487,651 times
I'm sorry no one has responded to you before now.

I don't know anything about Norfolk, so I can't make any comparisons.

A couple thoughts: if the salaries offered are comparable to each other, your money is likely to go further in the Youngstown area. Although, I don't necessarily recommend living in the city of Youngstown, itself, because the politics of your potential neighbors would lean more liberal. (assuming you lived on the north side, where many YSU faculty and students live) So, the monetary advantage wouldn't be so great, as if you were to live in the city.

One thing I've heard about the Youngstown area that you may not appreciate, is that it's often considered to be a bit insular. Not a lot of people come here for work, so there isn't a lot of "new blood" coming in.

Mill Creek Park is one of the best park systems in the country, and the area is rich in history.

An hour commute to YSU gives you a rather large radius of locations to consider. You could almost live as far away as Cleveland or Pittsburgh. So, I'm certain you could find a community in that radius that could make you happy, even if it's not exactly in the Youngstown area.

Old 09-06-2023, 04:27 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Poland, Howland, Cortland, Canfield.

I would stay away from any of the cities. Stick to townships or villages.

Old 09-08-2023, 02:13 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,163 times
Youngstown is not a "vibrant community"....it's pretty much dead tbh...at one time it had 189,000 residents...it's down to about 60,000 now.
I'm sure there will be single men around but, the Youngstown-Warren area does not have a high percentage of college grads, so finding that type of single man may not be easy
You're w/in 90 min drive of Cleveland and Pittsburgh so museums are a plenty in the region...there are great parks through the region...and Cuyahoga Valley National Park is only an hr or so away too so plenty of outdoor stuff to do.
The city of Youngstown is not that safest place but if you live out in areas like Boardman/Canfield or up in Austintown or some of the smaller towns outside of there, you should be okay. Campus should be fairly safe...it's an urban campus but as such they have their own police force.

Old 09-08-2023, 02:16 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,163 times
I think you'd find Norfolk a more vibrant city to live in...that said, as a coastal city, it's going to be more expensive...and it too has issues w/ crime as most older big cities do.

If the 2 places offer similar pay, keep that in mind. While Norfolk may be an overall better place to live, if you can't afford to do as much, is it really worth it?

Old 09-08-2023, 02:32 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,872,571 times
Youngstown has a decently "vibrant" scene - downtown - depending on what you're looking for. With the addition of the amphitheater and some regular larger summer events, and the evolution of Federal Plaza - there is plenty to do - but overall, gotta agree, I'd describe Youngstown as alot of things - but "vibrant" isn't one of them.

Great museums, though, and YSU is great in itself. Plenty of excellent dining, no worries there. Crime? Eh - Youngstown gets its share - but like most places, avoid those neighborhoods and avoid trouble, and anything else is just bad luck.

Mill Creek Park - here in town - is magnificent - but within an hour drive are several more, for instance, the Cuyahoga Forest is not far - all kinds of hiking and kayaking.

There is little to no traffic to speak of in Youngstown - so 40 minutes puts you 40 miles from here - near Akron, Cleveland, or Pittsburgh.

One thing though that's been emphasized: The cost of living here is THE lowest nearly anywhere in the US. Same money goes alot farther here than nearly anywhere.

Old 09-11-2023, 09:16 PM

6 posts, read 4,519 times
I've decided to decline this opportunity.

Old 09-12-2023, 03:06 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCuriousity36 View Post
I've decided to decline this opportunity.
I think you made a wise decision.

Old 09-14-2023, 06:20 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCuriousity36 View Post
I've been on the job search journey for the past 4 months and things are looking bright as I am down to 2 promising offers-YSU and another university in the Norfolk, Virginia area.

With no knowledge of neither areas, so I have to rely on the opinions of the local citizens, to make a decision, quick. Responsibilities and Salaries for both jobs are equivalent and both offer hybrid schedule.
The main deciding factor is literal would I be happy staying there?

I felt as though my life has been adrifted to places where I didn't feel belong but needed to be there due to immigration or financial reasons ever since my adulthood. That said, I'm currently at a small town Louisiana for almost 2 years, and I'm ready to move on as I have no commonality with folks here.

I'm a single foreign female, no kids, in mid 30's, hold conservative view on fiscal and social issues in my personal life, but believing in libertarian governorship. I've traveled to 35 states, lived in 4 and 3 other foreign countries.
These are the main few criteria I'm looking for in my next move:

- Vibrant community or people that have lived/ traveled aboard, interesting life experience
- Availability of single men for date (+15, -2years gap) of similar intellect capacity
- Able to enjoy my hobbies - being out in nature for a hike, gardening, painting, variety of library events, thrift store deal hunts, local history and museums exploring, playing strategic boardgames
- General Safety as I'll be staying alone and I am not versed with any protective arm practice
- Variety of ethnics cuisine and grocer stores

(least concern):
- Professional Sport teams or culture revolved around this
- dark winters scare isn't the top of my concerns. Having lived in subtropical and tropical climates for 2/3 of my life, I'm growing some resistance towards persistent heat index of 100+ summer days for most of June till August.

Would you suggest I should accept this offer considering the social and living aspect?
If so, what area should I be staying that is within an hour drive to YSU? Thank You all who chips in!
I don't live in Youngstown, but I am there a few times every week. One of our children attended YSU for one year. They enjoyed their department and made many friends at YSU but transferred to a college in Vermont for social and academic reasons Obviously, he was not in search of warm weather.

Youngstown has a wonderful park system that I think you will appreciate. Google Youngstown Metro Parks. Many people enjoy hiking in there, and in areas close to Youngstown.

The first museum of American Art is located in Youngstown, OH. The Butler Museum of American Art has an extensive collection of American art, that is impressive and vast, considering that Youngstown is not a very large city, on the scale of NY or Chicago. Cleveland is about an hour away. The Cleveland Museum of Art is free of charge and world class. The Cleveland Museum of Natural History and the Museum of Modern Art are worth many day trips, too.

You will appreciate the low cost of living. While you do not state weather you will be buying or renting, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the cost of living in Youngstown and Northeastern Ohio, in general. Beautiful, 1920s Tudors and Neo Colonial homes can be found close to YSU for very reasonable prices.

Unfortunately, as a married woman, with married friends in Youngstown, I can't speak for the availability of unmarried woman.

You will have an above average choice of restaurant and cultural festivals in Youngstown! From Memorial Day through Autumn, many ethnic festivals draw people to Cleveland from surrounding areas. This year we enjoyed Slavic, Greek, Italian, Egyptian, and other festivals in Youngstown and surrounding areas. There are a number of excellent restaurants in Youngstown and Boardman. For Ashkenazi Jewish food, Kravitz Deli on Belmont Street is a local favorite. Chinese food is fairly good in the Youngstown Boardman area. Since I originally hail from the NYC Metro area, my standard for Chinese food is rather high.

There is an Italian specialty store called Jimmy's, that is worth visiting. They have takeout, catering, and recipe ingredients there and the food in delicious. Nearby Boardman has Middle Eastern, Mexican, and a few Asian Restaurants. The Curry Club in Warren has top notch Indian Food. I live in Warren, and YSU faculty often patronize The Curry Club.

You with NOT be in a Foodie Desert in the Mahoning Valley! No need to worry about that. This is not the south.

As far as "people who have travelled abroad" most professors tend to be well travelled. I have friends who are academics, and traveling outside of the US is a frequent pastime for them.

Without knowing more about your background and heritage, some of your questions are difficult.

YSU is not a "conservative" University, especially in terms of its faculty. With the exception of universities in the South, most faculty at YSU tend to be moderate, if not progressive If you are a fan of Donald Trump, you may not want to announce that until people have gotten to know you.

People have different definitions of "socially conservative." If you are anti-choice, for example, you will not find many collogues at any public research universities who share your views.

I am sure that you are already aware of that.

Can you expound upon your conservatism and libertarianism?

Old 09-14-2023, 08:25 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,487,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't live in Youngstown, but I am there a few times every week. One of our children attended YSU for one year. They enjoyed their department and made many friends at YSU but transferred to a college in Vermont for social and academic reasons Obviously, he was not in search of warm weather.

Youngstown has a wonderful park system that I think you will appreciate. Google Youngstown Metro Parks. Many people enjoy hiking in there, and in areas close to Youngstown.

The first museum of American Art is located in Youngstown, OH. The Butler Museum of American Art has an extensive collection of American art, that is impressive and vast, considering that Youngstown is not a very large city, on the scale of NY or Chicago. Cleveland is about an hour away. The Cleveland Museum of Art is free of charge and world class. The Cleveland Museum of Natural History and the Museum of Modern Art are worth many day trips, too.

You will appreciate the low cost of living. While you do not state weather you will be buying or renting, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the cost of living in Youngstown and Northeastern Ohio, in general. Beautiful, 1920s Tudors and Neo Colonial homes can be found close to YSU for very reasonable prices.

Unfortunately, as a married woman, with married friends in Youngstown, I can't speak for the availability of unmarried woman.

You will have an above average choice of restaurant and cultural festivals in Youngstown! From Memorial Day through Autumn, many ethnic festivals draw people to Cleveland from surrounding areas. This year we enjoyed Slavic, Greek, Italian, Egyptian, and other festivals in Youngstown and surrounding areas. There are a number of excellent restaurants in Youngstown and Boardman. For Ashkenazi Jewish food, Kravitz Deli on Belmont Street is a local favorite. Chinese food is fairly good in the Youngstown Boardman area. Since I originally hail from the NYC Metro area, my standard for Chinese food is rather high.

There is an Italian specialty store called Jimmy's, that is worth visiting. They have takeout, catering, and recipe ingredients there and the food in delicious. Nearby Boardman has Middle Eastern, Mexican, and a few Asian Restaurants. The Curry Club in Warren has top notch Indian Food. I live in Warren, and YSU faculty often patronize The Curry Club.

You with NOT be in a Foodie Desert in the Mahoning Valley! No need to worry about that. This is not the south.

As far as "people who have travelled abroad" most professors tend to be well travelled. I have friends who are academics, and traveling outside of the US is a frequent pastime for them.

Without knowing more about your background and heritage, some of your questions are difficult.

YSU is not a "conservative" University, especially in terms of its faculty. With the exception of universities in the South, most faculty at YSU tend to be moderate, if not progressive If you are a fan of Donald Trump, you may not want to announce that until people have gotten to know you.

People have different definitions of "socially conservative." If you are anti-choice, for example, you will not find many collogues at any public research universities who share your views.

I am sure that you are already aware of that.

Can you expound upon your conservatism and libertarianism?
This is a good and informative post. Unfortunately, the OP has stated that they declined the offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio