Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 03:40 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,453,476 times

Advertisements

As a former resident of Ohio (born/raised there), I find this ban on pits totally unconstitutional. Ohio's so called leaders need to focus on crime, economy and the foreclosure crisis there instead of worrying about what breeds of dogs people own.

Is it too much to ask that they go after the owners who fight these dogs and breed them as a puppy mill? I have owned many pits and it is how you raise them. It is pretty pathetic when a punk has to try and be macho through the dog they own and these are the ones who need to be banned, not the dog!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 04:11 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,773,889 times
I couldn't agree with you more! It's not the dogs' fault how they are trained and used! The owners who put these dogs through the horrific training and fighting and the ones who own those cruel puppy mills should face stiff criminal charges...years in jail, instead of a fine and slap on the wrist.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:10 AM

160 posts, read 644,982 times
i pretty much agree.i was at a pretty crowded park in warren where several baseball games were going on and i saw 2 young teens riding bikes with there pit bull running behind them and the same night saw another pit bull running loose.those dog owners are morons.theres way to many people and even people walking there dogs to have dogs going unleashed.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:11 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,383,301 times
pa Sharon,
I agree that pit bulls main personality traits comes from its owners. but how many owners of any dog be it pit, or poodle are truly good owners?
a pit bull has been bred to fight,if the owner doesn't take action to keep the breeds aggression in check, it can come out.
my neighbor has a bull mastiff/pit bull, 130 lbs. he has spent many hours training this dog (in a good way) ,it is well behaved,but when my dachshund went over to the fence to attack his dog , his dog went into its instinct mode, and jumped the fence and ripped my Weiner (the dog!) in half, my doxie survived but the fact is pits are unpredictable due to the blood line.
I dont blame the owner of this dog or the dog , in reality my dog started it . but it was on my property and it was fenced in.
I feel that the biggest problem is the pit has become a status dog of the gangster ghetto, and owners who dont have a clue on raising children,..... let alone a dog!

Old 06-02-2008, 10:13 AM

160 posts, read 644,982 times
i agree with you but you dont let it run loose in a city park.in youngstown a 6 year old boy was mauled by a pit bull last week.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,150,479 times
What about the rights of kids and their parents to play in their own yards and in public parks without being mauled?

Many homeowners insurance companies (including the one I use for my insurance) won't provide insurance to people owning certain breeds of dogs. Their lists of non-insurable breeds are often longer than the list in this law. If the ownership ban fails in the Ohio General Assembly, the state could use its regulatory power in the insurance industry to force the inclusion of a breed ban in all homeowners insurance policies sold in the state.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:42 PM

Default Dogs running loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
What about the rights of kids and their parents to play in their own yards and in public parks without being mauled?

Many homeowners insurance companies (including the one I use for my insurance) won't provide insurance to people owning certain breeds of dogs. Their lists of non-insurable breeds are often longer than the list in this law. If the ownership ban fails in the Ohio General Assembly, the state could use its regulatory power in the insurance industry to force the inclusion of a breed ban in all homeowners insurance policies sold in the state.
I despise people who let their dogs run loose; they are also irresponsible pet owners. We've not had a problem here in Alaska with pits attacking anyone that I've ever heard or read about. Just remember that the careless idiots who let dogs run loose don't only own pits, there are rotties, collies, sheperds, all kinds of big dogs that can attack. I say PUNISH the owners severely and stop the banning. What's next? Too many rights being taken away.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:47 PM

455 posts, read 1,886,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Agreed.

Here in Cincinnati you rarely see them since they are banned. Some people do still have them, but there was a local news report of just one of the local contracted shelters that put down well over 1000 confiscated Pit Bulls last year. I think it was something like 1300

Although these numbers do not bother me at all, I would think those of you who care so much about these animals would appreciate the fact that there might be a chance of them not being overbred by tens of thousands into abusive, poverty stricken homes where they are often used as weapons, deathsport participants and ghetto accessories, only to be abandoned and eventually euthanized at the pound.

If you truly love and must have this particular breed of dog, consider living somewhere there is a little bit more space outside of the official city limits... so you will not be affecting the quality of life for other people living around you in any given city environment.

I'm sure there are plenty of heartwarming stories in which a Pit Bull tucks a baby into it's crib or assists an elderly person across the street, but this is a national conversation that is beginning to emerge because these dogs have clearly become a problem breed and the frequency of serious incidents has been increasing substantially.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:50 PM

Default Question for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
Agreed.

Here in Cincinnati you rarely see them since they are banned. Some people do still have them, but there was a local news report of just one of the local contracted shelters that put down well over 1000 confiscated Pit Bulls last year. I think it was something like 1300

Although these numbers do not bother me at all, I would think those of you who care so much about these animals would appreciate the fact that there might be a chance of them not being overbred by tens of thousands into abusive, poverty stricken homes where they are often used as weapons, deathsport participants and ghetto accessories, only to be abandoned and eventually euthanized at the pound.

If you truly love and must have this particular breed of dog, consider living somewhere there is a little bit more space outside of the official city limits... so you will not be affecting the quality of life for other people living around you in any given city environment.

I'm sure there are plenty of heartwarming stories in which a Pit Bull tucks a baby into it's crib or assists an elderly person across the street, but this is a national conversation that is beginning to emerge because these dogs have clearly become a problem breed and the frequency of serious incidents has been increasing substantially.
Aren't you and the residents of Cinn. more concerned about the economy and crime? Don't you think law enforcement should have went after the "owners" of the dogs that were irresponsible?? Don't you think they should worry more about the gang problem there I've been reading about??

Old 06-03-2008, 07:52 AM

455 posts, read 1,886,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Aren't you and the residents of Cinn. more concerned about the economy and crime? Don't you think law enforcement should have went after the "owners" of the dogs that were irresponsible?? Don't you think they should worry more about the gang problem there I've been reading about??
If that was meant as a slam at Cincinnati, you surely haven't visited the Queen City any time recently. Your reading must have skipped over the fact that our economy is humming along just fine, our downtown and surrounding urban areas (where those gangs you seem to think only exist here, used to thrive) are undergoing a major gentrification push and the housing market here seems to have mostly been spared the problems facing many other cities in Ohio.

Did you not have any response to my points regarding the dogs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio