Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 09:23 AM

33 posts, read 80,196 times

Advertisements

We are considering a transfer to Middletown...we are currently in Lansing (MI).

I am rather particular with where I live...yet, I am looking for something that seems to be affordable with a decent school district.

I didn't see very good school ratings in the Middletown city limits so I was looking for the out-skirts. A commute of 15 miles or less is not a big deal.

One city that stood out what Trenton. It seems very close to Middletown and when looking online (and google mapping at street levels in the area) at homes, it seems like a pretty clean, decent area. The school ratings weren't down in the skids, either.

I was wondering if anyone could give me opinions on Trenton/neighborhoods as well as surrounding Middletown areas?

Obviously when we purchase a home, I want to be sure it's one that I really am going to be happy with and not "settle for"...especially since the economy is in the gutter right now (in Lansing, homes are half or more of what they were 10 years ago).

Any insight would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 10:32 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Check out West Chester.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:52 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Other nearby areas to look at would include Lebanon, Monroe, Springboro or Centerville (closer to Dayton). You could even consider Oxford if you want a college-town atmosphere.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:29 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Although I don't know exactly what you are looking for in homes, may I encourage you to give Middletown proper a much closer examination before venturing to nearby Trenton. Although the schools there are highly rated (an utmost consideration of any parent, obviously), please realize that Trenton, itself, is hardly more than a SW "burgh" of Middletown, app 1/4th its size. Since you're coming from a city much larger than Middletown and Trenton combined, do you want to trade the amenities of Lansing for such a small town? Trenton, itself, sits off by itself virtually in the middle of nowhere w/o the convenience of being near the busy I-75 corridor, whereas Middletown's commercial center now straddles I-75. (Just look where the city's new regional hospital, "Atrium," now resides--on Rt. 122 immediately east of the freeway.) Virtually all of the big-box stores (plus a tremendous Kroger superstore) reside at either the I-75/Rt. 122 or the I-75/Rt. 63 exits (Monroe).

As far as housing, there's a great deal of positive things to tell you about Middletown, itself, but at this point it might be best if you would give fellow posters a more exact idea of what you're looking for in a home, your price range, and whether your family wishes to live in an urban/suburban/semi-rural/rural setting, etc. I, for one, am glad that you're considering this region for a relocation (even though I realize that such changes have probably severely tested your family's fortitude), and I don't want you to be misled by other well-meaning posters who tell you that you must move to one of the large bedroom communities that surround Middletown in order to find contentment. (Several of these are nothing more than nondescript, strung-out, congested suburban hells that are a part of the present-day Cincinnati MSA--and the fast emerging "Cin-Day Corridor," of which Middletown is very much a part.) As far as myself, I am an ex-Middletown resident now living in Franklin, to the immediate NE--so I am unabashedly qualified to comment on the surrounding communities. What are your plans at this point?

Old 08-19-2011, 02:38 PM

Well, let me ask you a question then.....

Does Ohio have school of choice? I mean, the complete freedom to send a child to any neighboring district (within an adjacent county) if that school has openings with no restrictions/conditions (resident district is doing poorly, etc)? If I can find a decent neighborhood even though the school district is crappy, then I would completely consider it PROVIDED there is school of choice.

I currently send my kids to DeWitt schools which has a great-schools rating of 9 (out of 10). I opted to ditch the Lansing School District for obvious reasons (very low-rated school district....I don't do inner-city schools well).

I am not a huge fan of "inner-city" living, but love the convenience of things. A 5 minute drive to the mall, for example, is awesome! At the same time, a small community that is still close (within 10 miles or so) of the city is perfectly ok with me! In fact, I would almost prefer that.

Because of the economy, I don't want to invest in a more expensive home....I would say 90K or under. I know those come a dime a dozen in Middletown, too!

We are talking about taking a roadtrip down next week and check the area out. I like that Middletown is close to Cinci and to Dayton.

One thing that baffles me is how many homes DO NOT have basements! Up here, most homes have them whether they be full basements or "MIchigan" basements. I know that when you get to the south (Arkansas, Texas, Florida, etc), they are less common, but in Ohio??

How is the tornado factor in the Middletown area? Crazy question, I know....but I'm curious. Naturally, in Michigan, they aren't common. We haven't had a tornado warning in this area in over a year....you have a better chance of hitting the lottery, I think (OK, well maybe not that...!).

Old 08-20-2011, 07:42 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
In Ohio you do not have total freedom of choice in schools. Schools are supported primarily by property taxes. You may be charged tuition to attend a school other than the district you live in. If freedom was available the districts surrounding Cincinnati would be deluged with students opting out of CPS.

Tornado warnings are common in the area, though actual tornadoes of any size are not that frequent. The notable exceptions are years apart. The last tornado to hit Mason where I live was over 30 years ago. But they still scare the H--l out of you, since the path while small can be total devestation where they hit.

Many of the homes without basements are small ranches built on slabs to keep the cost down. These were common in the 70s but have lost favor now. Most older and newer construction will have basements.

There are some very good schools closeby such as Springboro, but property there is pricey.

I would look at Lebanon for housing in your range. The schools are well rated and the commute to Middletown is short. Lebanon is an old town having been the county seat of Warren Co. forever. My great-great-great-aunt owned a grist mill and saloon there.

Middletown is classified as a blue-collar town whose fortunes are based on AK Steel. If AK Steel is doing well, Middletown is doing well. If AK Steel falls on lean times, Middletown falls on lean times. By the way AK stands for Armco Kawasaki reflecting a major buy-in by Kawasaki Steel of Japan in 1989. I thought they did Middletown a great injustice recently when they moved the corporate headquarters to West Chester. What is with that? To me it was a slap in the face to Middletown. Oh well, what do you expect of a large company? Their days of corporate citizenry seem to have expired. I guess the executives wanted to be closer to the exclusive country club communities in or near West Chester such as Four Bridges, Heritage Club, and Wetherington.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:18 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
As for open enrollment in Ohio, here is the statement on the ODE website:

"Open Enrollment allows a student to attend school tuition free in a district other than the district where his or her parents reside."

Each district has to set a policy as to whether or not they will allow enrollment from other districts and if they will allow it from any district in Ohio or just adjacent districts. Individual schools can set, to a degree, the guidelines as to what circumstances qualify for open enrollment. A formula is used to determine what portion of tax revenues follows the student. I believe it is the portion that is state provided aid. Local taxes remain in the local district.

Here is a link to school open enrollment policies. ODE - Open Enrollment Listing

I believe you would be looking for eastern Butler County, western Warren County, and southern Montgomery County to stay close to Middletown.

Best wishes on your house hunting.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
As for open enrollment in Ohio, here is the statement on the ODE website:

"Open Enrollment allows a student to attend school tuition free in a district other than the district where his or her parents reside."

Each district has to set a policy as to whether or not they will allow enrollment from other districts and if they will allow it from any district in Ohio or just adjacent districts. Individual schools can set, to a degree, the guidelines as to what circumstances qualify for open enrollment. A formula is used to determine what portion of tax revenues follows the student. I believe it is the portion that is state provided aid. Local taxes remain in the local district.

Here is a link to school open enrollment policies. ODE - Open Enrollment Listing

I believe you would be looking for eastern Butler County, western Warren County, and southern Montgomery County to stay close to Middletown.

Best wishes on your house hunting.

THANK YOU!!!! It works a lot like Michigan then...not every school participates, but I think that is, too, dependent upon the availability of space. I know where my kids are now, they weren't open for school of choice for the past five years because of space. But, I think because many people are leaving the state, they are opening up more.

AWESOME information to know. That makes things WAY easier

Old 08-20-2011, 03:49 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Glad to see fellow posters adding valuable comments, especially concerning your questions about schools. Let me add just a few more observations about the communities immediately surrounding Middletown...

Lebanon: as Kjbrill has already mentioned, a strong contender. What's there not to like about this picturesque city 8-miles to the SE? A school system rated "excellent," a postcard-perfect downtown, ample shopping, and varied housing possibilities. The town is so well regarded that many YPs working in Cincinnati make it their home.

Franklin: a modest, tight-knit blue-collar community with an abundance of homes within your suggested price range. A school system rated "effective," a high school rated "excellent." 4-miles to the NE. Has its own Walmart superstore and family grocery, plus a Kroger store in nearby Springboro. Well connected, commercially, to everything around (via I-75), but still considered a peaceful workingman's enclave.

Monroe: a community of modestly priced homes 2-miles S of Midtwn. A school system rated "excellent." A very close association with its larger neighbor. Awesome retail just across I-75 at the new Premium Outlets Mall. Worth a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio