Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:03 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,022,305 times

Advertisements

Ok, hoping someone can help.

I got busted tonight. But, I do want to say that 1. I know that I absolutely WAS NOT going 45 in a 35, and 2. I've had a SOLID driving record since 2002 with no accidents or tickets at all.

So tonight I was leaving my very small village (about 12 miles outside of BG, Wood County) and about 100 feet before the "End 35MPH" sign, I subconsciously sped up. I was going 39. I remember looking at the spedometer, but it didn't register. I passed one of the village "rent a cops," as my fellow neighbors refer to them.

Cop didn't pull me over until about 1-1.5 miles OUTSIDE of the village limits. I was honest, said he probably pulled me over for punching the gas a little early, also told him that I did not have any moving violations for the past 6 years and that I just moved into town, which is true. My license still hasn't been updated yet. He comes back, writes me up for 45 in a 35. WTF?!?! I know I was 4 over. Maybe 5-6 if my spedometer is off. I was not 10 over. And, aparently, my excellent driving record held no weight to this cop.

1. What are the laws about being issued a ticket outside of the jurisdiction? Or, how can I find more info on that?

2. What is the law as far as how often the gun has to be calibrated?

Ok, so I made a mistake, I'm only human and it was bound to happen sooner or later. But I sure as heck am not happy about paying higher insurance rates for the next 5 years over this!! I come from MI for crying out loud -- to not have gotten busted in Ohio for speeding as a native MI driver takes a lot of self control and discipline! GRRR!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 09:54 PM

2,912 posts, read 1,250,038 times
If I didn't know better (you said Wood County) I would have BET this happened to you in Woodville (which is just across the Wood County line in Sandusky County.)

I just moved from Woodville to Arizona and in the two years that I lived there (right on Rt. 20) I witnessed the most vigorous group of ticketing maniac cops I've ever seen.

Do NOT speed in Woodville. Not even 1 mile over. Trust me on this.

BTW, I was in BG frequently and I loved that town. I already miss Finders in a BIG way.

Doug

Old 06-25-2008, 06:43 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
We ought to compile a list of towns in Ohio where you dare not exceed the speed limit, not even by a tenth of a mph.

Terrace Park in Hamilton County, for instance, where the speed limit drops from 55 outside the village limits, to 50 mph for a few blocks, then 45 for a few more blocks, then 35.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:16 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,029,075 times
All of those small towns in Ohio have rent-a-cops that are just looking to boost city revenue w/all of the job losses they've suffered in recent years to make up for. They could give a crap less about the residents who suffer from those losses or uncertainty about their jobs. The same thing happened to me in Louisville (east of Canton) a few years ago, there was a stretch of a road (rural) I might add, where it switched from township to city back to township, I was going no more than 40 in a 35 and the cop who was camped out on the road pulled me over for a ticket. Was so thrilled to see him using his time wisely on a road where no one in the city lived, instead of driving around the residential areas checking on the city's residents. There are a lot of speed limits that are just posted for revenue producing to the city, it's a joke. My wife went to BG and I drove there quite a few times, sometimes using that US 20 route, and there were always cops in those small towns like Clyde & Monroeville just waiting for some poor sucker to go a couple over the limit to nail them.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:43 PM

353 posts, read 1,707,091 times
Quit passing police levies.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:50 PM

15 posts, read 79,023 times
Lagrange on Route 303 is bad....the cop is always hiding in one of 2 places...at least he is predictable so you know to slow down.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:55 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,455,213 times
Ohio does have a reputation as a big speed trap. I probably average a ticket every 4 years or so. Just another thing that makes Ohio "special".

Old 06-25-2008, 08:54 PM

6 posts, read 40,269 times
1 Thing there not rent-a-cops. An second it doesn't matter u should of not been speeding. If u break the law, u pay the price. Thats way we have tracks to speed on, in a safe place.

Now I do speed my self, an been pulled. But all ways got warning. Even knowing I was about 40mphs over the speed limit. I now my time will when I get a speed ticket

Old 06-25-2008, 09:35 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,377,499 times
Grew up in Ohio, now live out-of-state. Hubby and others have commented on Ohio drivers and all the tailgating at 60, 65, 70 MPH when they are driving in our state.

Explained that when on the major highways in Ohio, we would jockey to be the middle man in a tight line of cars all exceeding the speed limit. There were always a lot of cops on the road ready to hand out speeding tickets. The first car or last car ran the risk of getting busted for speeding -- being in the middle you felt pretty protected.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:26 AM

23 posts, read 149,548 times
Quote:
1. What are the laws about being issued a ticket outside of the jurisdiction?
I've lived in Ohio all my life, and yes, I know our police can be particularly anal when it comes to traffic laws. (I, myself, got a ticket the other day for apparently rolling a stopsign even though no one in the car with me or my friends in the car behind me saw me roll through.)

If I remember right, there is a law in Ohio that grants police the ability to pull you over up to 3(?) miles after seeing you commit a traffic violation.

Sucks, huh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: