Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 04:08 AM

12 posts, read 71,275 times

Advertisements

My b/f and I lived in LA for about 10 yrs. (before meeting ea. other). When we met, we moved to AZ and hate it. He's from Youngstown, and went to school in Oberlin. We're considering moving to one of those towns. We don't need to look for jobs, as we make some $ doing art, etc. (and made some on real estate in AZ). We're looking for peace, quiet, nice people, and (for me) maybe some "artsy" people. We think we'd find more artsy people in Oberlin, but he has many "old" friends in Youngstown. But, they seem mainly obsessed with sports. I'm worried now, after reading about pollution, though. I want to avoid excessive pollution. I'm also worried about the stores (or lack of) in Youngstown (organic food, etc.). Any suggestions, info., etc. would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2006, 04:01 AM

23 posts, read 22,427 times
You should be very, very concerned about the excessive air and water pollution levels in this state -- they are extremely high. Read my thread called "Ohio: know the details" to get even more information.

If interested, I can direct you to articles that have been written on this subject -- they are real informative.

This state must be researched thoroughly before considering making it your new home. There is more to Ohio than meets the eye: issues and problems that most natives would just like to leave unexposed, or more likely, really do not know themselves.

Please contact if you need help in your research.

Old 05-21-2006, 12:28 PM

35 posts, read 237,591 times
Exclamation Youngstown

I am from Youngstown, OH. It is the most depressing city that I have ever been to. No jobs, lots of crime, no culture, gray depressing weather. The only remotely attractive thing in Youngstown is the low cost of living. Good luck. Canfield, OH is a small somewhat of a suburb of Youngstown. It's a nice area.

Old 05-22-2006, 02:23 AM

Default Thanx for info., but...

Ohioan, I read a lot of data on the pollution in Ohio, and it is bad. But, it's a tad better than I'm used to (from LA and Phx.). I was glad to see there are no SuperFund sites near the area we're looking at. And it looks like there are groups fighting the pollution (which I'd want to join).

Bobby, oh that sounds terrible. I don't mind grey weather, though. Are you a student there? I know there aren't too many jobs. I was thinking of maybe opening up a theater there with avant-garde plays, burlesque, art shows for local artists, etc. I think I could get the financing for it from some of my b/f's friends. I guess we were hoping to help bring a bit of culture there, if it seems that people would want it. What do you think? We're actually considering the Liberty area.

Last edited by Candra; 05-22-2006 at 02:27 AM..

Old 05-23-2006, 05:01 PM

3 posts, read 50,224 times
Ohio is not a good state. There are no jobs, the jobs are disappearing. The weather changes every 15 minutes, from warm to cold to more cold, Constant gray skies. The folks here are not friendly. Definately polluted in more ways than one.
Considering Ohio? NOT RECOMMENDED. I WANT TO MOVE

Old 05-23-2006, 05:34 PM

Smile Youngstown Area Info.

I grew up in Austintown, which is a suburb of Youngstown. I no longer live there because I am getting my doctorate in Iowa. I am very familiar with the Liberty area and can't speak that highly about it. There is a lot of crime and the area isn't very attractive at all. If you are looking into the Youngstown area the best suburbs are: Canfield, Poland, Boardman, McDonald, Austintown. I would say that Canfield, or Poland are by far the nicest. As far as your business idea goes, it sounds promising, but the Youngstown area is an old steel town with a majority of the population being uneducated. I am not sure that's the type of entertainment they are looking for, however, you would definitely have the type of theater like that, so it may be a good business endeavor. Where are looking to place this theater? That may be the key for a successful outcome. Good luck.

Old 05-24-2006, 07:55 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,944 times
youngstown ohio, the light has been turned off,AND THE FAT LADY HAS DONE SUNG!!!!!
r.i.p.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:05 AM

Default Youngstown

I don't know what to say, really. Except, getting a job isn't a problem, my b/f already has offers to teach at Universities there. We also have a production co. and it looks like we may be able to raise $$ to do a movie based out of there (from the 60's). My b/f wants to move to Liberty because he knows some politicians there, and has some friends who live there who are quite well off and have influence in the community. They seem interested in helping us do the movie, and he thinks that once they meet me, they'd support my theater idea. I was thinking of doing it in Youngstown since you can get grants there to start businesses, and it might appeal to the students. Although, I understand the part about most people not being very educated. My b/f (who's from there) warned me about that. How bad is the pollution? I lived in Los Angeles and Phx. I just can't imagine it being worse than that. I've gone on MySpace to try to see profiles of people from Youngstown. Mostly students. They seem to be primarily shallow. We've also discussed Oberlin. Thanx so much for all the replies, though they've been mainly negative.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:08 AM

Default Youngstown

I don't feel that pollution in Youngstown is that bad. Youngstown itself is an all around awful city, but you can live a nice low cost of living life in one the the suburbs. Go and check out Liberty if that's where you want to go. There are many big, old, beautiful homes there for dirt cheap. But then you have to ask yourself, "why so cheap?" It's because of all the crime and no ammenities.

Old 05-26-2006, 03:15 AM

Default youngstown

Thanx, Bobbya739. I think we'll rent and then look for something. I thought about Poland, but I read that they'll actually arrest you for speeding. I'm not dangerous, but I do tend to go over the speed limit!! Maybe some of the other areas mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio