Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,571 times

Advertisements

Brief history: I live in a private subdivision that was started in 1956. The covenenants did not state that a person who buys in the subdivision must become a member of the HOA. Originally it was called a club. They have since changed the name to include Home Owners Association. There have been several lawsuits about the responsibilities of non-members to pay dues. The courts have ruled that a non-member does not have to be a member of the HOA but is responsible to pay a "fair share" for the common areas. Unfortunately a fair share was not described by the court or the parties. To complicate things further, there are two HOAs in my neighborhood (an island). After lawsuits between the two HOA, it was determined that a road commission would be set up and both groups will pay into that commission to pay for the roads. My questions do not involve this seperate road responsibility.
Question 1. Since my deed does not include membership requirements or dues responsibility to the HOA, can they make regulations that "run with the land" or otherwise change my deed restrictions without my written authorization? I understand that it may be possible to change deeds if one is a member of a deeded HOA or condo Association by getting 75% vote, but this voluntary club does not have any of that language in my deed or on file at the Courthouse. Can my neighbors change my deed? The current trustees also want to change the code of regulations to make is appear that everyone owes for everything even if they are non-members. Can they do that?
Question 2. I understand the logic behind members having to pay for common areas of the HOA even if they do not use them, but can a non-member be forced to pay for things that he does not use? For example a club house and its insurance/taxes. I am of the opinion that since I am paying for the road seperately as is everyone, that I can now only be charged by the HOA a small reasonable administration fee for things like "billing" me. Thay are trying to make the non-member fee virtually the same as the member fee. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 08:04 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
There is a real estate forum on city data you might ask there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio