Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 05:31 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times

Advertisements

As part of the Youngstown 2010 plan, the city has been divided into about 130 neighborhoods. Some had names already, like Oak Hill, Brier Hill, Fosterville, or Cornersburg. But, my neighborhood never had a name. So we chose the name "Garden District" because of our proximity to Fellows Riverside Gardens.

Here is an aerial view:
http://www.youngstown2010.com/neighb...ood_aerial.jpg

I'm making this tour because I was taking pictures of houses in the neighborhood for possible use on the Youngstown 2010 website, and thought it would be good to share some pictures of a fairly typical Youngstown neighborhood. Unfortunately, this means the tour will look a little more "rosy" than reality because I was only photographing the well-maintained houses and/or those that struck me as interesting.

We start our tour on McKinley Ave.
Fellows Gardens:
Fellow Riverside Garden | Mill Creek MetroParks (http://www.millcreekmetroparks.com/riversidegarden.htm - broken link)
and the Davis Center:
D.D. and Velma Davis Education & Visitor Center | Mill Creek MetroParks (http://www.millcreekmetroparks.com/educationvisitorcenter.htm - broken link)
are across the street from these houses.

Unfortunately, the park has been somewhat aggressive in buying up land in this area, and has demolished several nice homes from the late Victorian/Turn of the century eras.

Next we have Hillsdale:

Whitney Ave.:

Halls Heights Ave.:

Glacier Ave.:

Milton Ave.:

Mayfield Ave.:

(Seems like an abrupt transition from "stately brick home" to "multifamily" and smaller houses)

Hampton Court:

Eleanor Ave.:

Lakeview Ave.: (sorry, no Evanston)

(I really like this house, and wish it weren't abandoned)

Olson Ave.:

Portland Ave.: (I have a lot of Portland for some reason--I guess I like the American Foursquare)

Maryland Ave.:

Belle Vista Ave.:

Now we head to the intersection of Belle Vista and Mahoning:

(Entrance to Calvary Cemetery)

(Groceries, a short walk from home.)

(Looking down Mahoning toward downtown)

Heading down Mahoning Ave., back toward where we started, there are a few more interesting buildings:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 08:00 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
Thanks for posting those pics of Youngstown! I've always liked the neighborhoods around the park and most of them feel very safe. I love going to Fellows Riverside Gardens, it's so pretty there and there is a great view of downtown from there as well. I would love to see even more pictures if you have time.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:38 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,343,459 times
Here are some pictures of the Fellows Riverside Gardens I came across. It looks gorgeous. Ohio has always had the sweetest smelling, and softest greenest natural grass of anywhere I have ever been. It doesn't even need fertilizer or anything.

Fellows Riverside Gardens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-19-2008, 05:09 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Is that Sparkle market near Schenley Ave? My grandmother lives on Schenley and that looks familiar.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Is that Sparkle market near Schenley Ave? My grandmother lives on Schenley and that looks familiar.
Yes, Schenley is just a few blocks west of there.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:57 PM

That's it then. Thanks. Just a few houses down from the corner.
My parents were just there visiting and said that area "is really getting bad". Is that true?

Great pics by the way! Saw neat houses on Whitney and Halls Heights.

We were just talking to someone yesterday about the Handels neighborhood (while eating Handels ice cream!)

Old 07-19-2008, 05:59 PM

Oh, the old brick gas station, now wheel alignment place, is a great one too!

Old 07-19-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
My parents were just there visiting and said that area "is really getting bad". Is that true?
I guess it's true that the area has declined a little over the last decade. I've seen an increase in blight in the time I've lived here. But, I certainly wouldn't consider it "bad." I've heard that "in the old days" people on the west side didn't need to lock their doors. So, in that context, it is worse than it was.

But, on the other hand, the Garden District has recently formed a neighborhood-wide block watch to take a proactive approach to crime prevention. Here is the page: Garden District Block Watch
Quote:
Great pics by the way! Saw neat houses on Whitney and Halls Heights.
Thanks!

Quote:
Oh, the old brick gas station, now wheel alignment place, is a great one too!
I'm glad you think so. I always liked it, but wondered if I was the only one.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post

I'm glad you think so. I always liked it, but wondered if I was the only one.
They post pics of stations all the time over at Oldgas.com It is under a "Found along the way" forum.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:56 PM

112 posts, read 500,697 times
Here's a fixer upper on E. Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: