Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 01:24 AM

3 posts, read 22,253 times

Advertisements

My company will send me to kettering this Aug and I will stay for 6 months. Anyone has some information can share with me, about living, weather, public transportation, people there,etc. I could not find much information about Kettering online. Thank you in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2006, 11:28 AM
jeb

1 posts, read 7,419 times
Which company will you work for in kettering?

Old 05-31-2006, 08:03 AM

976 posts, read 3,860,210 times
Kettering is a nice suburb on the south east side of Dayton. Lots of shopping and entertainment. Weather has been nice the last few days in the upper 80s and lower 90s. Kettering has alot of nice parks. And as far as transportation goes. Your about 30 mins depending on traffic from the Dayton International Airport. The people are really nice. As far as my experience went. And the Charles F Kettering Memorial Hospital is really nice. Looked very modern last i was in town. Kettering was a nice town when i went. Very suburban. Good Luck with your move.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:42 AM

Thanks a lot for your information. Some posts mentioned that Dayton is not that a nice place for living. Is Kettering a safer place?

Old 06-02-2006, 01:26 PM

Yes Kettering is nice. But check out some of the other suburbs. Check out Miamisburg, Trotwood, Shiloh, Englewood, Taylorsburg and Hays Corner just to mention a few. Dayton is a changing city. It is really doing a big part in changing its image. The dowtown area is great with lots of nightlife. There is many plans on building new office buildings in downtown Dayton.

http://www.andysnow.com/dayton/ (broken link)

Check out that website for just a few of the great pics of Dayton. If you want more please feel free to ask. Thanks.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:34 PM

Thanks a lot, paintballer1708.

Old 06-05-2006, 09:03 PM

No problem. Like i said if you want more info, pics, etc please ask. I dont know if your moving there for sure but im sure you will like it.

Old 06-24-2006, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 7,402 times
I had to chime in with my first post...

Paintballer, I've lived in the Dayton area for 15 years (Kettering, Bellbrook, and now Springfield) and I've never even heard of some of the places you're suggesting living.

Miamisburg is nice middle class town.
Avoid Trotwood it is a declining borderline ghetto
Shiloh isn't even a town, it's an intersection
Englewood is a nice middle-upper class area
and I've never even heard of Taylorsburg or Hays Corner -- honestly it sounds like something you found on a map.

Anyone moving to Dayton should check a few things...

Do you want modern, new construction suburban sprawl, with all the benefits and pains that go with it... then move to Springboro, Bellbrook, Centerville, Beavercreek

Do you want tree lined established neighborhoods with good to great schools... then check out Oakwood and Kettering first, maybe Troy, Vandalia or Miamisburg second.

Old 07-08-2006, 08:30 PM

30 posts, read 172,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elainechen
My company will send me to kettering this Aug and I will stay for 6 months. Anyone has some information can share with me, about living, weather, public transportation, people there,etc. I could not find much information about Kettering online. Thank you in advance for the help!
I don't know where you are coming from but the public transportion (re: buses) is fairly limited in the suburbs which Kettering is. You need a car. As far as Kettering, it is a nice suburb, the Western part of Kettering is the upscale area, with the central area being nice and the eastern portion less nice/upscale. Apartment wise, you might like the Chimneys (but they are next to a low income complex--oops I think the Chinmeys may actually be in Centerville), Georgetown apartments are supposed to be fairly nice - but other surrounding suburbs like Centerville/Washington township/Miami township, Bellbrook and Beavercreek are very nice and just a few miles down the road.

For a short stint, you might also like the apartment complex near the Fraze Pavilion in Kettering. I can't remember the name of them at the moment but they off Lincoln Park, you have park close by, pond, city and police station a few blocks away and during the summer you can hear touring acts at the Fraze Pavilion amphitheatre - very nice and a very safe area. Also, I hear the new addition at the Kettering High School PAC center allows resident to buy in to use their facilities and that is only a few block away.

There is also a new shopping area with planned upscale shops, loft apartments, movie theatres and business complex near the edge of Kettering's east side (odd placement because that is the poorer side of town) and Beavercreek(odd too because it is also not in Beavercreek's more affluent neighborhoods) but it is close to I-675 so anyone can get to it easily.

It call the Green's I think. It looks really nice but I have no idea when the loft apartments will be ready and construction may go on for some time.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:19 PM

5 posts, read 36,035 times
Default Relocating NY Long Island to Ohio

Would appreciate more info on Dayton suburbs and schools. Like to more about Miamisburg, Kettering area. Whats best places to live with family - kids in elementary and middle school. Looking for nice area - can you give me an idea about home prices?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton