Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:29 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,458,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humlermw View Post
How is Cincinnati in a steady decline when it is gaining population not only in the city proper, but in the outlying communities as well. We are up to 332,000 when by this point we were supposed to be at 309,000 and the mayor thinks the population may be as high as 375,000 which all indicate a significant increase in population and not a decline. I admit it's the first increase in decades but an increase nontheless. Also Cincinnati didn't make that list, I wonder why?
the population increase was due to a petition by mayor mark mallory, not because the city was visibly gaining people. it was an emergency measure, as the city was in danger of falling below 300,000. if not for this, cincinnati would most certainly have been on that list. i'm sure cleveland could find some people with a petition if they wanted to as well, so it goes both ways. the gains in suburbs are often people fleeing the city, or folks moving into the metro for a job. either way, most aren't choosing the city to live in.

something to remember - if cincinnati is up to 332,000 from the census figure of 310,000 pre-petition, that number is spread out over time, keeping that steady decline i mentioned intact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 12:52 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,035,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
it's not as simple as 50 years. the south was, and still is, recovering from the civil war, and was down until the 70's. to name one city, cincinnati has been in steady decline since 1870. what is going to replace all of the lost jobs and underpaying gigs that contributes to ohio's decline? the suburbanization of ohio is only going to get worse.
While it has been declining, it hasn't been declining for 150 years. In 1870 the population was: 216k, not until 1900 did it go over 300k to 326k, slightly less than it is now at 332k. You'll find that most city 'propers' have a tough time to grow population b/c a lot of states have restrictions on annexation, it's more reasonable to look at a city's metro area. Even excluding Hamilton-Middletown, the Cincinnati-Northern KY MSA has almost doubled from 904k in 1950 to 1.75 million as of 2006. I wouldn't call that 'declining' - that is much better than any other area in Ohio excluding Columbus.

As for the south still rebuilding from the Civil War, I don't know about that, maybe some rural areas still are poor w/a fading remnant from the war, but most cities I've visited in the southeast are in better condition financially and visually than cities in the midwest.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:36 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,011,986 times
Forbes Magazine, What a joke!

They called this a "Decade of prosperity", yet wages have fallen and the Middle Class has continued to shrink at record levels, and were it not for houising's influence in the overall economy from 2000-2006, there would have not been a recovery from the Internet Bubble Bust of 1999.

And guess where housing has gone since then?

It's easy to look at parts of the country which are decaying at the fastest rate and dissect their local problems, but the truth is the USA is the world's fastest dying major nation.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:35 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,952,054 times
Quote:
Ron Jaworski is from Youngstown Ohio. While he became a football star in Philly, and now is a well known NFL sportscaster, he should invest in his fallen town.
Actually, he's not from Youngstown, he just went to Youngstown State.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
While it has been declining, it hasn't been declining for 150 years. In 1870 the population was: 216k, not until 1900 did it go over 300k to 326k, slightly less than it is now at 332k. You'll find that most city 'propers' have a tough time to grow population b/c a lot of states have restrictions on annexation, it's more reasonable to look at a city's metro area. Even excluding Hamilton-Middletown, the Cincinnati-Northern KY MSA has almost doubled from 904k in 1950 to 1.75 million as of 2006. I wouldn't call that 'declining' - that is much better than any other area in Ohio excluding Columbus.

As for the south still rebuilding from the Civil War, I don't know about that, maybe some rural areas still are poor w/a fading remnant from the war, but most cities I've visited in the southeast are in better condition financially and visually than cities in the midwest.
true, the cities are better but the poor rural counties in the south are plentiful. what i mean by decline is the fall from being a top 5 city in population to somewhere in the 30's.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:02 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,727,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
the population increase was due to a petition by mayor mark mallory, not because the city was visibly gaining people.
This is not because of a "petition."

This is because of a study done by Social Impact that uses tax info, credit information, mailing information, city residency info, etc ... far more conclusive and thorough than the census.

About 4 or 5 months ago, the census was the laughing stock of the online tech industry and news media as their knowledge in electronic devices that were used to in field counting was slim to none. Because of this they just RECENTLY went back the old school counting. I posted tons of articles about this in another thread about 2 or 3 months ago. It was horrible and shameful since funding is so reliable on info in this regard.

What Mark Mallory did do ... was he took the info they (S.I.) collected, challenged the census, and then won.

For the love of God, City West wasn't even counted.

The truth is, Cincy more than likely didn't gain or reverse the trend, but was always undercounted and never actually lost the amount of people that were originally lost.

Just google some of the info above, it's all out there for the general public to get a good laugh in.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
This is not because of a "petition."

This is because of a study done by Social Impact that uses tax info, credit information, mailing information, city residency info, etc ... far more conclusive and thorough than the census.

About 4 or 5 months ago, the census was the laughing stock of the online tech industry and news media as their knowledge in electronic devices that were used to in field counting was slim to none. Because of this they just RECENTLY went back the old school counting. I posted tons of articles about this in another thread about 2 or 3 months ago. It was horrible and shameful since funding is so reliable on info in this regard.

What Mark Mallory did do ... was he took the info they (S.I.) collected, challenged the census, and then won.

For the love of God, City West wasn't even counted.

The truth is, Cincy more than likely didn't gain or reverse the trend, but was always undercounted and never actually lost the amount of people that were originally lost.

Just google some of the info above, it's all out there for the general public to get a good laugh in.
social impact did a study on behalf of the city of cincinnati. the information collected was "petitioned" to the u.s. census as a more accurate and comprehensive analysis of the cincinnati population.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:39 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,727,567 times
You said:
Quote:
the population increase was due to a petition by mayor mark mallory
The population increase was not due to a petition.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
You said:

The population increase was not due to a petition.
the information was submitted to the census. the census can approve or deny the findings. the census approved using such information. that is why it is a petition.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:24 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,867,784 times
It won't matter once Dayton takes over Cincinnati (serious LOL) (can always hope)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio