Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 07:47 PM

7 posts, read 38,123 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how the jobs are in the Portsmouth area? Are there places that are reasonable to rent? I am hoping to move in the summer to this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 08:14 AM

120 posts, read 629,835 times
Default re

The first thing that popped into my mind when I read that you want to move to Portsmouth is "why?" I'll give it the benefit of the doubt because I've pretty much only been through the city as I only pass through there on my way from family to the North Midwest and Canada (and different people have different ideas of what they think is desirable). From the looks of what I've seen, I have no desire to spend any amount of time there. I recommend visiting it first if you haven't done so already.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:20 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,436,717 times
Portsmouth is economically depressed. Scioto County unemployment rate was 8% in 2005, which was high even by Ohio standards. Poverty rate was 17%. I would guess the cost of living is pretty cheap, if you had a job.

It is in Appalachian Ohio, but used to be industrial...used to be a big steel mill there, or next to it in New Boston.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,493 times
I have lived in Portsmouth for a while and I love it here, I don't think that awakethesun22 has any right to judge the place. It is beautiful, as the city is right on the river and surrounded by the foothills of the Appalachians. I have a great job as a civil engineer and am part owner of construction company, and everyone I know here has a great job. The area is great, with a lot of state parks and lakes. awakethesun22 can drive through somewhere else for all i care.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:37 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,410,862 times
Portsmouth is pretty, but I would make sure you had a job first before moving there. Cost of living would be very low - rents would be very affordable. It's a far drive to either Columbus or Cincinnati, but Huntington WV is relatively close.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:27 PM

55 posts, read 279,612 times
Question Why?

I think I also have to ask "bluegrassb" why? I moved there from a little town (pop. under 3,000) 30 miles notheast of Cincinnati, & it was definitely a culture shock for me. My boyfriend at the time had alot of family there & knew alot of people, but jobs were very hard to find. Granted, cost of living was very cheap, we rented a 2 BR mobile home for $150/mo with heat & electric included, but I also had a $250.00/mo car payment + insurance still to pay. He found work with an uncle (who was quite well off with his own construction co. & a 3,000 sf plus new home) doing occassional roofing jobs, but I couldn't find anything, even with sending & giving out over 100 resumes, I even went so far as to apply for ANY job at the prison in Lucasville, & still couldn't get a job there! I finally got a job at a little roadside cafe paying $2.00/hr + tips! Well after 6 months of this, not ever having one spare penny, I headed back to old home area, & within 1 week of being home had a new job (that I was qualified for), paying $15.00/hr + all benefits! I have never seen anywhere with unemployment so low, so many people living off welfare, & the drug scene running so rampant, and people so content with that way of life. The closest I have seen to this in rural southwestern KY. Portsmouth does have some of the most beautiful parks I've ever seen & for several years after this I would still make the drive down to Rude's (Rudd's - can't remember exact name of it now!) Christmas Farm, & I've never seen anything else that compared to that! But for me, this was not the lifestyle that I wanted or needed for me or my kids, but I believe "to each his own." I moved to where I wanted to be.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:46 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,410,862 times
^It's "Rudd's" - but sadly it's not in operation anymore. Mr. Rudd died in 2005.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:31 PM

55 posts, read 279,612 times
That's a real shame that someone couldn't keep it going. It was always worth the drive down just to see what had been added each year. My kids & step children always enjoyed & had fun there. Maybe someone will open it again in the future?

Old 05-26-2007, 11:07 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,198,349 times
I've lived in Portsmouth for close to my entire life and I would NOT recommend that anyone move here. It is beautiful, granted. We are surronded by amazing forested hills on almost all sides and the vegitation in the town itself is also quite nice. However there are VERY few jobs, unless you have a medical background. The town is basically one large hospital with NOTHING else except a walmart. It is a very depressed area. Not much culture, jobs, fun, etc. However if you really don't care about a social life/fun nights and have a degree or something that enables you to work at a hospital, by all means move here. You will find the area very pretty, but other than that Portsmouth has very little going for it.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:36 AM

30 posts, read 180,268 times
I will have to agree with the other posts, it beatiful scene, but if you dont have a good job it not worth the place ot be, Im about 45 mins to hr from ports, and i live in a small town too that is very depress to, unless you work for medical field, pillsbury plant or the school, or merillet, there not much in this southeast ohio. oh yes forgot wally world, but again min wage on this job too. we have one compnay that been on strike over year and they still without jobs, this is sad they still hang at the plant with there signs.i have live here for 15 yrs and i total regret it. but it very hard to get out of an area with kids and try to find better if you dont have friend or family for support. oh well good luck, i would look more up north part you have more of variety of jobs and cultures of people. take care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio