U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2008, 10:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,686 times

Advertisements

My former employer, located in Chillicothe, OH wrote me a payroll check that bounced
because of insufficient funds. The secretary told me over the phone not to mention it to
the boss because she made a mistake and would fix it even if it meant writing a personal
check from her own account. She deposited that money into my account for me, plus the
return deposit fee. (my position required me to work away from the office, mostly from
home).

A week later I was terminated because of "not enough money to pay you anymore" by my
employer. I returned my company vehicle and equipment and was then handed a check for two
weeks of pay that they owed me.

I deposited that check and then suddenly had to take a trip to Savannah, GA to visit
family due to a death. I was contacted by my former employer with a list of
equipment/tools that hadn't been returned. Since I was in GA I advised him it would be a
few days before I could get back and he said that was fine. He then, without my knowledge
issued a stop payment on my payroll check I had just deposited, which stranded me in GA. When I called to confront him he threw up that the items on the list weren't returned and my cell phone bill was expensive and they needed that money to cover those expenses. Being that I was in GA with no money now, how can I return these items if I am stranded in GA? As far as the cell phone goes I never signed or was given a policy that said if my phone bill was expensive they would garnish my wages.

Days later luckily some family wired me money to get home. I was home for 1 day and
received a certified letter again with the list of tools that I needed to return, with a
demanding date of two days later. The items I needed to return were a couple random items and my laptop. I worked in a service related field where my own personal tools were intermangled with company tools. The items they claim I "stole" were random things that didnt come to mind immediately. The laptop was at a laptop repair facility in Huntington, WV for repair on a problem that I had notified my employer of 2-3 weeks in advance of our fallout. The repair facility could not repair the laptop but still charged me a "checkout" fee that I gladly paid. I gathered the equipment up and dropped it at the UPS store a couple days later.

Apparently the items were not returned quick enough for my former boss because he
contacted the Chillicothe Police Department and reported them stolen. I explained the
situation to the police and sent them a tracking number.

Once the items were received they did mail me another payroll check plus return deposit
fees. I deposited this check and paid some past due bills that desperatly needed paid and
thought everything was okay.

Two days later I receive an email from my former boss stating that the check he wrote me
would bounce because they didnt realize their account was so low and that I would
receieve a cashier's check on that Saturday.

I checked my account and see that indeed the check did bounce and caused my account to
overdraft for more than $600 after the bills that were pending cleared.

Saturday rolls around...no check... I finally received a cashiers check the following
Tuesday.

I checked my account and total my employer has costed me well over $300 in overdraft fees, which may not seem alot...but being that I have a child on the way every dollar I can scrape means everything.

Also, during this whole money ordeal he has visited all of my old customers as a
"courtesy" asking them to check their books to make sure they receieved all products that
they were charged for that I sold because they had "problems" with me. I feel he only did this
because he knows I started my own business and had a few former customers of theirs
follow me.

Customers contacted me immediately and most of them who have had contact with my former employer feel it was his intent to smear my name.

He and his secretary both have told customers I was fired because of "customer service
issues" and that I was not "representing the company very well", not that they were losing money and had to let me go because they couldnt afford
to pay me.

What, if any, legal action should I or can I take from here? Or should I just let it go?

Thanks in advance!

Nick

Last edited by kuhnelectronics; 09-27-2008 at 10:26 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 02:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,239 times
Thumbs up I would definitely seek legal advice!

You have to protect yourself and your livelihood! Go for it, man!
This is totally illegal Your former employer has no right to smear your good name and attempt to steal customers in this fashion. You have a certain alienable right to a pursuit of happiness and profit too!

Keep everything, take notes, and seek legal advice from at least two or three lawyers. Of course the first question you need to ask is if they have any affiliation or binding, past or present, to your former employer or his colleagues - before you disclose any information about the case!

Then please let us know how it all turns out... since we all know that you should not post anything further until it's all over. We'll be cheering for you! and don't forget to backup/save an online bookmark to this thread! (i.e. google.com/bookmark or bookmarks.yahoo.com)

Old 11-27-2008, 12:28 AM

2 posts, read 7,678 times
hey I know a quick way to help you out with this situation for cheap and something that you could use your whole life for any legal event. its called Pre-paid legal services. Plans are offered for $26 or less a month. I had a problem with my credit bill kept get a finance charge added. to make a long story short i got in touch with the lawyer and he explained how it was wrong for them doing it. sent them a letter on my behalf and in a week saw a credit back on to my account for the charges. I never recieved a bill in the mail from just wrote pre-paid legal services inc. saying thank you for providing such a quality services to people who maybe have a legal event pop up in there everyday life and need consultation or representation. so check it out <A href="http://www.rogr/">[URL="http://www.cincylegalhelp.com"]www.cincylegalhelp.com[/URL] the plan is covered in all 50 states and canada.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:27 PM

498 posts, read 1,405,401 times
call a lawyer. do not read any more random advice from random people on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio