Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 11:03 PM

6 posts, read 12,770 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

I wouldn't say this moving thing is stressful..but sheesh

Ok well first off ill start by saying im in my mid 20s, and will be moving back to the USA to live/work with my work facilities in the general area of Sharon/Hermitage PA (will be determined 2nd January 09).

Anyway, i dont mind a commute of up to 30-35 miles to work each day, and PA and Ohio surrounding areas all look nice. On my last visit from Europe to the surrounding areas i found the people friendly, diverse and easy going.

I would like to find an area with young professionals, a wicked (thats European for vibrant) social scene, arts, culture, interesting people, clubs, bars etc. I dont mind a college crowd either.

Areas? - Boardman, Niles, Youngstown, Newcastle, Any little gems of a city that you can recommend? Canton, Pitt and Cleveland are just outta reach darn it. Even a little burb with Big city commuters would be good.

I work hard and well, do not party hard to much more, but am young(ish), business orientated and social-able and recently single. (moving 5000 miles away will do that to a relationship).

Accomendation would be rent for the first month, something in the 1500 or below range.

Help would honestly be gratefully appreciated,

Take Care,

A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 12:52 AM

Boardman, from my research on here would bring a nice balance of the work life and social life/arts...

Old 10-09-2008, 02:14 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allybaba View Post
Hi guys!

I wouldn't say this moving thing is stressful..but sheesh

Ok well first off ill start by saying im in my mid 20s, and will be moving back to the USA to live/work with my work facilities in the general area of Sharon/Hermitage PA (will be determined 2nd January 09).

Anyway, i dont mind a commute of up to 30-35 miles to work each day, and PA and Ohio surrounding areas all look nice. On my last visit from Europe to the surrounding areas i found the people friendly, diverse and easy going.

I would like to find an area with young professionals, a wicked (thats European for vibrant) social scene, arts, culture, interesting people, clubs, bars etc. I dont mind a college crowd either.

Areas? - Boardman, Niles, Youngstown, Newcastle, Any little gems of a city that you can recommend? Canton, Pitt and Cleveland are just outta reach darn it. Even a little burb with Big city commuters would be good.

I work hard and well, do not party hard to much more, but am young(ish), business orientated and social-able and recently single. (moving 5000 miles away will do that to a relationship).

Accomendation would be rent for the first month, something in the 1500 or below range.

Help would honestly be gratefully appreciated,

Take Care,

A
Hello, and welcome back.....I guess. Sharon itself wouldn't be a bad choice. It has quite a bit of development going on, all in different stages. And you're sure to find a place to rent well below your $1500 mark. For example, I rented a 4 bedroom 2 bath home in Sharon a few years ago for only $400 plus utilities. And it was a beautiful old home. I'm not sure what the general rental rates are in the Boardman, OH area. To me though, Boardman has a suburban feel, while Sharon has more of the gritty city feel. It just depends on what you prefer. The social scene is about the same all the way from Youngstown to Sharon. Youngstown has the bigger clubs, but there's quite a few good bars in the Sharon/Sharpsville/Hermitage area as well. The local music scene in both areas is about the same as well, while not real strong, it does have a following. Youngstown gets the bigger national touring acts though thanks to The Chevy Centre and a couple bigger theatres. For arts, the Butler Art Institute in Youngstown is really nice. In Sharon they have the Vine Ave Gallery. And both Cleveland and Pittsburgh are only about an hour jaunt from both locations for more amenities. Personally, I favor Pittsburgh, the city just has a better feel to it to me. Peace, and good luck

Old 10-09-2008, 08:42 PM

dugdog,

your the man brother. By the sounds of things your leaning towards Sharon. I guess ill take a drive down through all areas early next week and check it out. The last thing i want is to move, get engrossed in work for 6 months and then realize..whoa this place is dead? narrowed to Sharon or Boardman...any other input? I heard Boardman has alot of young commuters to youngstown for work, college..im nieve in all this though..help this irishman out people!

Old 10-09-2008, 08:52 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,932,173 times
I would go w/boardman, there are a lot more young people down there than other areas of the Mahoning and Shenango Valley's. If you read my thread, Turning around Youngstown, you will see that Youngstown itself is changing because of mostly young people are deciding to do things to improve the city.

Downtown Youngstown has some clubs, bars, and restaurants, plus a decent art and music scene. I know there is also a young professionals club, a kickball league, etc. in the area. I myself am 29 and i'm really not into going out to clubs or bars, but there are plenty of establishments to go to if you're interested. I like the Youngstown Sports Grill (more for the sports and food) and i've heard the Blue Wolf Tavern (name?) is a pretty good place to go. I also have a friend that works downtown that likes M-Vibe (sp?) and some of the other bars down there.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:52 PM

Cool Cool. Thanks for the input CortlandGirl79. Im in the same boat, going to a club at 26 years of age makes me feel like the old guy in the room, but once every so often isnt that bad. Im doing the whole Grove City shopping thing tomorrow, so from what I hear..with Boardman mall/stores and Grove City across the boarder, if there isn't alot of socializing in the first months, at least I can contribute this American economy of ours. Thanks once again. A

Old 10-09-2008, 10:59 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,146,396 times
Oh my gosh.....you think you're the old guy at age 26?

Try being in your 40's my friend. You're still a pup....enjoy your youth.

I had no idea Youngstown was making a comeback. I'd consider checking it out, but now I'm thinking I'd be too old to fit in. It won't be long before I qualify to live in Sun City, Arizona.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:06 PM

oh hush Aquila, with age comes beauty (im here all night with these one liners folks). I am indeed enjoying my youth, currently looking at places to rent in the B-town (my current calling card for Boardman, even though i dont live there yet..dork me ). Oh Cortlandgirl in my stalkerish state to find out what locals look like, i browsed your profile..and was happy to find you doing shots! no wait..chocolate? hmmm..back to europe for me : )

Old 10-09-2008, 11:24 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,146,396 times
Oh dear sweet youthful Allybaba...you do need glasses, fair one, if you think beauty has graced me in my advanced years.

But thanks for the compliment. I was only playing around. I don't really think you're young. HA! I have nieces younger than you. Er....something like that. There was supposed to be a joke in their somewhere.

It's all good. I'm not down on myself because of my age. Well, not much anyway. I certainly wish I had the body I had when I was younger....

Hmmm.....B-Town, eh? I wonder if I could get away with saying I live in the WC?

No, not the water closet! West Chester! The most happeningest (is that a word?), hippest place in all of Senselessnasty....er, Cincinnati.

*sigh*

I'm ready for some more dark chocolate. And a nice dark beer to go along with it.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:12 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allybaba View Post
dugdog,

your the man brother. By the sounds of things your leaning towards Sharon. I guess ill take a drive down through all areas early next week and check it out. The last thing i want is to move, get engrossed in work for 6 months and then realize..whoa this place is dead? narrowed to Sharon or Boardman...any other input? I heard Boardman has alot of young commuters to youngstown for work, college..im nieve in all this though..help this irishman out people!
I am biased towards Sharon, I'm a PA boy, but.....I would go with the Boardman area if I were you, it has more going for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio