Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 07:59 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,940,745 times

Advertisements

So, pretty much everyone here knows i'm a big fan of local history. A few years back i took a guided cemetery tour of Oakwood Cemetery in Warren. During that tour we were told stories of some of the people buried there. You would not believe the number of industrialists, activists, politicians, war heros, etc that are buried right here in the Mahoning Valley. A lot of these people shaped the history of not only Youngstown/Warren/Niles, but also shaped the history of Ohio and our nation.

After seeing the great sculptures and monuments dedicated to some of these people i was amazed. Wow, our valley was once a really happening place, there were lots of jobs here, many entrepreneurs, philanthropists, etc. that made northeast ohio great. Looking at the stones I realized how much money used to be here, how important our valley was before we were born. When you see the names and learn about the people behind the names you realize they still have influence on many of our lives and institutions today. Names like Wick, Wean, Powers, Stambaugh, Packard, Heaton, Pollock, and Crandall are still seen on many of our streets, they're still on some companies, parks bare their names as do many buildings at Youngstown State. Still to this day the money and trusts these families left behind is funding things going on in our area. Just today i read in the vindy that the Crandall Foundation was giving money to the Youngstown Playhouse.

So, if you made it through my thoughts above, I invite you to see what myself, my dad and Northwoodszj saw last weekend. We decided to take a trip to Youngstown's Oakhill Cemetery located just off of 680, between Mill Creek Park and the former Southside Hospital. It was amazing, so peaceful and quiet. You forget your walking around Youngstown's South side. The trees were beautiful (i was excited to find buckeyes in some areas of the cemetery) and the company was great. Oh, and what a view of town from the steep hills. I can imagine 100 years ago the view would have been even more majestic. So please take the time to enjoy the following pictures. Take a walk back in history and if you ever get a chance. Take a walk through this place.

BTW, i should mention that all of these pictures were taken by Northwoodszj, a former Minnesotan and Floridian that i've gotten to know pretty well after living next door to him in Northbury Colony. lol Thanks to my craziness he's now obsessed with Mahoning Valley history. hehe

Last edited by CortlandGirl79; 10-30-2010 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 08:22 AM

Charles Dayton Arms was married to Hannah Wick he was an iron entrepreneur. If you know Wick Ave near YSU you can still see his house. The home was built in 1881 and is now a church, Holy Trinity Romanian Church located to the right of the Butler, next to it sits the Arms Museum which is an arts and crafts home that belonged to Charles and Hannahs daughter Olive and her husband. I believe the house to the right of the Arms Museum, Wick House on YSU's campus belonged to Hannah Wicks parents (not positive though). George Wick who owned Wick House and had it built in 1906 went down on the titanic (you'll see a picture of a monument to him later in our tour).

Old 10-30-2010, 08:42 AM

Myron Converse Wick

Ford

George Wick -
Quote:
Colonel George Dennick Wick (February 19, 1854 – April 15, 1912) was an American industrialist who served as founding president of the Youngstown Sheet and Tube Company, one of the nation's largest regional steel-manufacturing firms.[1] He perished in the Atlantic during the sinking of the RMS Titanic.[2]
George Dennick Wick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

George's wife Mary who was also on the Titanic

Daniel Stambaugh - From the book:History of Youngstown and the MV

Old 10-30-2010, 08:48 AM

From the book:History of Youngstown and the MV

Old 10-30-2010, 08:59 AM

John Stambaugh
From the book: The History of the Western Reserve (looks like they had his bday wrong)

Old 10-30-2010, 09:32 AM

Caleb Wick -
Quote:
Col. Caleb B. Wick was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, October 1, 1795, and died at Youngstown June 30, 1865, having passed nearly the whole of his life in Mahoning County and having been largely interested in most of the important industries that were established in this section during his life time......... [Caleb]was also interested in the iron industry which has done so much to develop this section. Colonel Wick was twice married. Both of the children born of the first marriage are deceased. On November 3, 1828, he married Maria Adelia Griffith, a native of Caledonia, New York. All of their children reached maturity.
Henry K. Wick - Mahoning County, OH Biographies

Here's a more in depth biography on Caleb Wick...........(from The History of Trumbull and Mahoning Co)

So if you've been following along, Caleb Wick would have been Dayton Charles Arms father-in-law and therefore, Olive Arms' (owner of the Arms Museum) grandfather.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:41 AM

History of Trumbull and Mahoning Co

Old 10-30-2010, 09:47 AM

From The History of Youngstown and the MV

Old 10-30-2010, 09:53 AM

Old 10-30-2010, 09:56 AM

Another Arms Family Crypt

Tiles on the ceiling

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: