Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 08:34 PM

448 posts, read 1,471,062 times

Advertisements

Well, Strickland has been trying for a year. Nothing yet But...Taft should have gave it up after 1 term. As they should in the senate and house. No more 2-3-4-5 terms. It needs to end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 08:35 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
Here is an article about tax reform: toledoblade.com -- Strickland fires back at editorial critical of Ohio

Quote:
In 2005, Ohio enacted the most sweeping tax reform in 75 years that made Ohio's new capital investment tax rates the lowest in the Midwest. These reforms are designed to make Ohio companies even more competi-tive in the global economy."

Ohio is more than halfway through a five-year, phase-out of two business taxes - the loophole-laden corporate franchise tax on profits and the unpopular tangible property tax on business investments in machinery, equipment, fixtures, and inventory. They are being replaced with a broad new Commercial Activities Tax on business gross sales.

When fully implemented in 2010, Ohio will be one of just four states without a corporate profits tax and one of just 10 without a tangible business tax.

"In sum, Ohio's tax structure is much more business friendly than the editorial suggests," wrote Mr. Strickland and Mr. Fisher.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:36 PM

If its from the Dispatch, a liberal paper, yes they do support Strickland.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:41 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
So you're saying Noe isn't a bad guy because the Dispatch reported on him??????

Old 11-05-2008, 06:03 AM

No, I don't believe I said that But, they are very liberal. Can't deny it. Thats what I stated. Now, after stating that , we do receive the paper on weekends. Does that make me a liberal, nope. Does that mean the bad guys, whether dem or rep, should not go to prison, nope.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:10 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,521 times
sonrise, how can you make a comment/question like that when you are not familiar with taft ??? did you just move here ? cortlandgirl79 is correct in saying, "bob taft" . i would also like to add " state government in columbus".

Old 11-05-2008, 06:38 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
The reason Ohio is turning blue, is that after year's of failed republican policies, the state is hoping for a positive change.

Oh.. and economically speaking, Obama carried all people with incomes of 200,000+ (those who would have their taxes raised under his plan), as well as those with incomes under $100K.

So, if those people themselves who know their taxes will go up (slightly) under Obama voted for him, why would you have a problem with the rest of us voting for him??

I think he will help to make certain that opportunities are more available to everyone, and even if I had to pay a little more in taxes to make certain that my elderly parents (and your elderly parents) would have a secure retirement - I would be willing to.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:39 AM

897 posts, read 2,824,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
How long have the Dems been in power and at what point do you put the blame for the economy on the shoulders of them? Thanks
That's what most refuse to look at. Many of the things that have tanked the economy were put into place long before Bush. NAFTA, CRA, etc were all under Clinton. The Unions will continue to kill growth unless they are stopped. The Big 3 will more than likely get a bailout under Obama, but that won't force people buy American cars. Bailing out the American automakers will be like throwing away money. The failing economy in MI is THE reason we picked to move to Columbus, instead of Detroit. Personally, I am willing to give OH a few more years. If we don't like what were seeing, we will ask to be moved back South. It's going to take alot of money and effort to convince businesses to invest in OH. There are too many things that don't reflect who the President is that will more than likely prevent OH from prevailing. Well have to wait and see, but it is not looking good.

Congratulations to President Obama

Old 11-05-2008, 07:43 AM

897 posts, read 2,824,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Oh.. and economically speaking, Obama carried all people with incomes of 200,000+ (those who would have their taxes raised under his plan), as well as those with incomes under $100K.
Really. Don't include me in your "statistics" or the many others that I know for a FACT did not. LMAO.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:00 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,521 times
geminigal, you say stop unions ? IMO you need a balance of union and non-union. unions work for some business but not all. . the corporations make zillions on the backs of the average worker, dont you feel the worker should get something in return for making the CEO's rich? ask the people of walmart if they can raise a family with their wage/benefit package . i dont agree with everything unions do, however i know america has less sweat-shops and safer work places because of unions.. HOW come no-one is talking about illegal imigration any more !? THAT imo is killing this country and i do not appreciate my tax dollars being drained because of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio