Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 10:09 AM

4 posts, read 24,183 times

Advertisements

Hi guys

I am from India and moving to University of Findlay for my master degree (MBA). I need some information about the city like:

1. What is rent for a room and how can i find a room to live there?
2. can i get a part time job in findlay.
3. What kind of weather is there, what are mandatory things that i should bring with me.

please help me to make my stay compfortable and enjoyable.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 11:09 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuvin View Post
Hi guys

I am from India and moving to University of Findlay for my master degree (MBA). I need some information about the city like:

3. What kind of weather is there, what are mandatory things that i should bring with me.

please help me to make my stay compfortable and enjoyable.

Thanks!
I can speak on the weather, definitely bring winter wear for November - March, there can be some cold, windy days as Findlay is part of a very flat area in Ohio. Autumn (Sept. & Oct) is beautiful in NW Ohio, cool nights and typically warm days into the 60s and 70s and lots of sunshine. It is the best time of year by far to live in Ohio. Summers aren't bad either, not too hot, may hit 90 a few times a year, but usually in upper 70s/low 80s, can get some tornados being that the land is flat.

Other than that, the only thing to be concerned about is parts of Findlay near the rivers have been prone to heavy flooding when there are strong storms.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:12 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,353 times
I can't help you with rooms or jobs, but regarding clothing, make sure you bring some warm things if you will be there throughout the winter. It's about 29F now. Bring or plan to buy a good warm winter coat. If you will be outside a lot and are not used to cold temperatures, buy some long johns. I don't mean an old fashioned one piece union suit, but separates, shirt and bottoms. Scarf, gloves, a knit hat also. If you have a car, make sure to have an ice scraper for the windows and keep it in your car.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:13 PM

313 posts, read 1,194,826 times
We moved to Findlay in July, from Michigan. There hasn't been a lot of snow so far this winter, but I am sure that it is coming.

All of the posters are right on the money so far, but not knowing how much you can bring with you, you might want to buy once you get here. There are several stores that can get you set up with just about everything that you need and not cost you a bundle. For example you can check out the following stores on line to get an idea of what you need: Walmart.com, meijer.com and target.com (though you have to drive 45 minutes to get to the nearest target.)

Sorry about housing and rooms. There should be resources through the University that can point you in that direction.

Good luck and welcome!

Old 12-17-2008, 09:45 PM

Thanks a lot for all this usefull information. I hope i ll enjoy my stay my course is for 2 years if i dont transfer from there.

Some other things are:

1. Mode of transportation & cost
2. any online source where i can get all information regarding living rooms and cost

Thanks u all great people!

Old 12-18-2008, 09:19 AM

35 posts, read 120,896 times
yuvin,

I lived in the Bowling Green/Findlay area for 10 years. Not exactly sure about rents anymore. I would think a one bedroom apartment would be 400-500 dollars a month.

You may want to try a search engine and type in *apartments* and *Findlay*
Also, the school should have an off-campus housing office that would help you out. They should be able to tell you where other grad students live. Undergrads in the U.S. have a tendancy to be loud. Especially on weekends.

You might also want to wait until you get here to buy winter clothing. That way you would be less likely to purchase stuff you don't need. However, if you arrive before April you will want to bring a heavy coat and gloves with you.

Someone else should answer about transportation. I lived in Bowling Green and don't know the ins and outs of Findlay. Not sure if you must have a car or if a bicycle will do. Part time job should be simple. There are always plenty of them around a college campus. Most employers will work around your schedule. When I was at Bowling Green it was easy to get a part time job at the University.

Hope you enjoy the area. Hopefully, I will be moving back there pretty soon. Think you will like NW Ohio.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:04 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,353 times
I found this one website that mentions rooms for rent, but not sure how reliable it is: lima / findlay rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist. This is another Find The University Of Findlay ( UF ) Off Campus Housing & Apartments for Rent in Findlay, OH. Map Search..

I would definitely contact the univ's housing office to see what they recommend. They may actually own some off-campus housing that may be more affordable.

Good luck!

Old 12-18-2008, 04:04 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,449 times
Hi!

My husband went to U of F and rented a home with two roommates through U of F. It wasn't fancy, but it was a good place for studying.

Good luck to you! I work at Wright State and see many students from India. They are all so nice and polite!

Old 12-18-2008, 10:28 PM

Thanks a lot for all this information. So guys I coming there around 28-29 dec.
Hope ll enjoy living there!

Thanks again.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:26 AM

anybody taxi cost from Toledo Airport to Uni. of Findlay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: