Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:12 PM

42 posts, read 98,918 times

Advertisements

Ive recently had some personal event strike me and I was told to go somewhere start over get a job, start college ect. I was given a list of states that included, Arizona, Michigan, Delaware, Illonois, Ohio, Nevada, Oregon and others but I was wondering if anyone could tell me where would be a good place in Ohio to start fresh. I was told I would fair better in a college town most likely but can anyone tell me anything>?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 03:11 PM

72 posts, read 115,329 times
Matty,
Unempoyment status in Northeastern Ohio s horrible so that would be a bad place to look (house prices are dirt cheap though). My guess is around Columbus (it has grown so much in the last 10-20 years) and that would be around the OSU campus. Maybe someone from that area could give you more information. Good luck starting over is never easy. If you could list skills or professions that might help others to guide you better.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droolrockworm View Post
Matty,
Unempoyment status in Northeastern Ohio s horrible so that would be a bad place to look (house prices are dirt cheap though). My guess is around Columbus (it has grown so much in the last 10-20 years) and that would be around the OSU campus. Maybe someone from that area could give you more information. Good luck starting over is never easy. If you could list skills or professions that might help others to guide you better.

yeah thank you, im 19 my mother passed feb 22nd. and my father wont be around past june-july according to doctors hes very ill, so ill be out on my ass regardless when that happens. i asked my guidance counselor and a psychologist what to do, they told me to go to a different state get a job go to school and gave me a list of states. alot of the states i was surprised at due to the fact they have economic problems now but they said its based on schools and i guess ohio, michigan, missouri and illonois have great schools whether it be community or 4 year schools seeing as how they were all near the top of the list. i have a diploma but work expirience wise i worked a summer at a flea market, then a summer as a custodian at a high school. After graduating high school i worked as a kennel assistant and vet tech assistant at a vet clinic until my mom passed then my father needed me to help him around. so i basically have veterinary, labor and custodial expirience under my belt atm.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:23 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,238,461 times
Wow, that is quite a load of burden on one so young.

What you need to do is identify what you would enjoy doing for a career, and then determine what school best meets your needs. Based on cost and value, you may want to begin with a community college and make sure you pick courses that can transfer to a four year school, in case you decide to go in that direction.

Best of luck there, you'll be a very mature person for one so young.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Wow, that is quite a load of burden on one so young.

What you need to do is identify what you would enjoy doing for a career, and then determine what school best meets your needs. Based on cost and value, you may want to begin with a community college and make sure you pick courses that can transfer to a four year school, in case you decide to go in that direction.

Best of luck there, you'll be a very mature person for one so young.
well thank you, i already pretty much know i want to go into social work and i would start at a community college my feeling due to the fact i have to work to support myself i need to be able to take night or some weekend courses and community college suits the need better when im first starting out.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:04 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,238,461 times
Well, one of the areas you may want to consider is Columbus. They have Ohio State, and a lot of the courses at Columbus State Community College can be transferred:

Columbus State Community College ... Majors and Programs

Getting basic jobs to provide some income is generally easier in Columbus than most other Ohio cities.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:39 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,510,410 times
Many of the community colleges in Ohio have partnerships with 4 yr colleges so many of the credits are transferable. I also have been told that some of them will help connect you with an employer, possibly in your field, to help you with some living expenses.

Here is a link to a site with more information, including links to websites for most of the community colleges in Ohio. Ohio Association of Community Colleges

Best wishes and good luck in your endeavors.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:29 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,511,733 times
You might want to check out Owens Community College in Toledo. There are lots of 4 year schools within a few miles of there also. University of Toledo, Bowling Green, Findlay and Lourdes.

Toledo is much, much cheaper for rent than Columbus. You can probably get a job there since you are looking for an entry level position.

There about 40,000 college kids in the area so plenty of employers will work around a class schedule. They are used to it.

You can get a decent one bedroom apt in Bowling Green or Perrysburg for $400 a month. Columbus will run you over $600.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:33 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,511,733 times
Another option might be Marietta, Ohio. There is Washington State Community College. And Marietta College. Ohio University is 30 miles away.

That's probably about the cheapest area in the country to live. No crime to worry about. And it's a very nice town on the Ohio River. If you like outdoorsy stuff there is a lot there.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:53 PM

42 posts, read 92,366 times
Northeast Ohio is worth a look. There is Cleveland State, Case Western, and Lake Erie College over in Painesville. The cost of living is dirt cheap there as well and there is also the Browns and Indians if you're so inclined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio