Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2011, 06:55 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,989,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I don't know what else there is to say -- you have a giant chip on your shoulder about Columbus and have a tendency to troll, and many of the Cleveland folks who post here are quite insecure about Cleveland and have an utter inability to resist feeding trolls. We're 21 pages in. We're clearly not going to get beyond that.
So I have a chip on my shoulder, but no one bothers to even try and refute my point. I wonder why. Again, this is not just something I'm imagining. I don't debate by making things up. And I'm not going to apologize for defending the city against what's been said about it repeatedly by certain people here. You want to call it trolling, but considering where your own bias is, that's hardly a surprise.

And finally, I don't think people from Cleveland should be insecure about their city. It's a great place. But so is Columbus. It would just be nice to see someone from there not tearing it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 08:52 AM

390 posts, read 1,044,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
So it has a few coffee shops, restaurants, and retail outlets. Big whoop. Which major Ohio city's downtown area doesn't?
Answer: Cleveland

Old 03-04-2011, 11:02 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,258,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Come on, almost no one has complimented Columbus on anything without prefacing it with something that takes away its legitimacy.

"Columbus is nice, but it's nothing but sprawl."
"Columbus has state government, otherwise it would be nothing."
"Columbus has OSU, but nothing else."
"Columbus is growing, but at the expense of taxpayers in Cleveland."

This is not just personal bias. Sure, I do like Columbus the most, it's my hometown, but I'm not simply imagining this, sorry.

And yes, I do consider myself fortunate, not only to be from a great state, but also a great city. I honestly believe that bothers some of you.
First of all, please stop putting words into my mouth. I never said anything about sprawl (Cleveland sprawls, too) and I never said that all Columbus has is OSU.

As for the other two points, these are not opinions, they are facts. Columbus would not exist as it is today (or perhaps even at all) were it not arbitrarily chosen as a compromise location of the new state capital. Cincinnati and Cleveland, on the other hand, were developed by and built around private industry. Additionally, Clevelanders (and not just Clevelanders, but every other citizen in the state) pump billions in tax dollars into Columbus creating tens of thousands of bureaucratic jobs in Franklin County. I will freely admit that I wish that Cleveland were the capital of the state because it really is that significant of an advantage. It's not the only thing driving the city's economy, but it is an undeniably big part.

But again, I really do like Columbus. I mean that. I just don't let me fondness of the city distract me from reality. And just to be fair, I have the same type of view of Cleveland, which if you ever read the Cleveland board, you would quickly see.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:08 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,613,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolaseposter View Post
Answer: Cleveland
Once again, your idiotic posts on Cleveland show how much you DON'T know about the city. Cleveland has all of those. I bet you have never even been to the city.

I could understand if you came from Cincinnati and started talking the crap you did, but you come from Dayton, which is a Detroit or Flint.

Answer my questions too. Where are all the links to the great things happening in Dayton? You run your mouth, but don't have the sources to back it up.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:20 PM

16,495 posts, read 19,549,493 times
Quote:
But so is Columbus. It would just be nice to see someone from there not tearing it down.
Hey, I haven't said a bad word about it.
I love German Village. What an incredible neighborhood just a few minutes from downtown. Fantastic Italian restaraunt on High St right in that same area. Can't remember the name.
The Arena District is nice, too. Ate an awesome brewery there.
That whole Polaris outlet mall area is really nice, too.

There ya' go.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Hey, I haven't said a bad word about it.
I love German Village. What an incredible neighborhood just a few minutes from downtown. Fantastic Italian restaraunt on High St right in that same area. Can't remember the name.
The Arena District is nice, too. Ate an awesome brewery there.
That whole Polaris outlet mall area is really nice, too.

There ya' go.
See, what's so hard about that?

But Polaris is pure surburbia.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
First of all, please stop putting words into my mouth. I never said anything about sprawl (Cleveland sprawls, too) and I never said that all Columbus has is OSU.

As for the other two points, these are not opinions, they are facts. Columbus would not exist as it is today (or perhaps even at all) were it not arbitrarily chosen as a compromise location of the new state capital. Cincinnati and Cleveland, on the other hand, were developed by and built around private industry. Additionally, Clevelanders (and not just Clevelanders, but every other citizen in the state) pump billions in tax dollars into Columbus creating tens of thousands of bureaucratic jobs in Franklin County. I will freely admit that I wish that Cleveland were the capital of the state because it really is that significant of an advantage. It's not the only thing driving the city's economy, but it is an undeniably big part.

But again, I really do like Columbus. I mean that. I just don't let me fondness of the city distract me from reality. And just to be fair, I have the same type of view of Cleveland, which if you ever read the Cleveland board, you would quickly see.
Okay, but my point is this... Even if people believe that Columbus has some advantages over Cincy and Cleveland, there are advantages in those two that Columbus doesn't have, such as far more national recognition and history. People said repeatedly that Columbus just does not have respect, and that's true to a large extent. All 3 cities have things that they should be promoting, things to be proud of. I don't have to tell Cleveland and Cincy posters what to be proud of, I'm sure they already know. I also shouldn't have to defend my own city from fellow Ohioans. I have to do that too often already with out-of-staters. We're probably all a little sensitive because of that.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:23 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,258,009 times
Quote:
Okay, but my point is this... Even if people believe that Columbus has some advantages over Cincy and Cleveland, there are advantages in those two that Columbus doesn't have, such as far more national recognition and history. People said repeatedly that Columbus just does not have respect, and that's true to a large extent. All 3 cities have things that they should be promoting, things to be proud of. I don't have to tell Cleveland and Cincy posters what to be proud of, I'm sure they already know. I also shouldn't have to defend my own city from fellow Ohioans. I have to do that too often already with out-of-staters. We're probably all a little sensitive because of that.
Yeah, I know where you're coming from on that one...

Old 03-07-2011, 08:54 AM

390 posts, read 1,044,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Once again, your idiotic posts on Cleveland show how much you DON'T know about the city. Cleveland has all of those. I bet you have never even been to the city.

I could understand if you came from Cincinnati and started talking the crap you did, but you come from Dayton, which is a Detroit or Flint.

Answer my questions too. Where are all the links to the great things happening in Dayton? You run your mouth, but don't have the sources to back it up.
Firstly, your hateful style of writing does not make your opinion come off any stronger. Secondly, I have been to Cleveland. Thirdly, I'm pretty sure the Tower City Mall is EMPTY except for a few cheap stores. And fourthly, Dayton is in much better shape than Detroit. Like I said, you must not have looked at the good parts of Dayton at all while living in the suburbs. There are alot of happening neighborhoods. Sorry you feel the need to act the way you are...

Old 03-08-2011, 07:46 AM

16,495 posts, read 19,549,493 times
I am staying out of the mudslinging because I think it is flat out ridiculous. We should be working together as Ohioans and not bitching that we think one Ohio city is better then another. If you want to pick on a city, Youngstown is ripe for that.

BUT I will knock down misinformation.

Quote:
Thirdly, I'm pretty sure the Tower City Mall is EMPTY except for a few cheap stores.
Well you'd be pretty wrong about that.

Tower City Center Store Directory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio