Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you say Ohio is in the Northeast or Midwest?
Northeast 60 21.13%
Midwest 202 71.13%
Other (specify in your post) 22 7.75%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 07:06 PM

162 posts, read 420,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallaher1 View Post
Then why on earth is it in the EASTERN time zone? just because you've heard other people call it the midwest does not make it the correct term. Does anyone who calls it midwestern own a map? Mississippi is south eastern but Ohio is mid western, yeah ok.

Most of Indiana sits in the Eastern time zone too, but it's still Midwest. Same
thing applies to Ohio. Midwest is a term originally used to describe the land in
America east of the old west coming from the eastern Seaboard in the north.
Can't really compare that to the southeast which is a term used to further divide
the American south only.

Last edited by Ninetails; 08-09-2012 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: Edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 12:17 PM

11,049 posts, read 12,383,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAS View Post
Ohio is considered to be the first state in the midwest.

Here's a map of the rest of the states in the midwest as well.

http://www.woolworks.org/images/us-midwest.gif
I think "midwest" includes way too many states that are nothing like each other, therefore losing any meaning. That map, for example, lumps Texas, Ohio, and North Dakota into the same"midwestern" category. Personally, when I think of states similar to ours, I think of Michigan and Pennsylvania, and that's pretty much it. Definitely not Texas or north Dakota.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:39 AM

5 posts, read 6,982 times
The creation of a new region is long overdue. The Great Lakes region! OH,MI,IN,IL,WI should be The Great Lakes states. The Midwest should be IA,NE,KS,ND,SD,MO. On the fence about which way MN should go. Ohio and Iowa are not even close to similar. Great Lakes! Great Lakes! Great Lakes

Old 06-12-2013, 01:31 PM

168 posts, read 250,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIsNotMidwest View Post
The creation of a new region is long overdue. The Great Lakes region! OH,MI,IN,IL,WI should be The Great Lakes states. The Midwest should be IA,NE,KS,ND,SD,MO. On the fence about which way MN should go. Ohio and Iowa are not even close to similar. Great Lakes! Great Lakes! Great Lakes
You created a specific username for this topic? Ohio started the Midwest, there's no way any state is more Midwest than the original. Check your history, the Northwest Ordinance set out the manner and method for the creation of states from the Northwest Territory. Today the Northwest Territory is not so Northwest, but more Middle West, thus the name Midwest. Unless you can point out any state from your list of states that "should be" Midwest that became a state before Ohio did, then I think your claim on the Midwest should be tempered.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:34 PM

31,990 posts, read 34,542,141 times
Maybe a Northeast region shouldn't exist either since Augusta, Maine and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania are entirely different.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:53 PM

192 posts, read 411,058 times
Quote:
Ohio and Iowa are not even close to similar.
Actually, Ohio is very similar to Iowa. Both states are historical agricultural and manufacturing centers, and generally have similar histories.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:47 PM

OH Boy! Thanks for chiming in SoCal and BKLN NY. I've had the good fortune to live in both of those areas, but I am an Ohio native and current reside in OH once again and unless you've spent any amount of time here, you have zero credibility behind your comments besides reciting some wikipedia info you've regurgitated.
Thank you for being so strong willed to stick to 140 to 240yr old labels. Imagine where we would be if we called everything we know today as it were in the 1880s when the "Midwest" was declared or even the 1780s when the NW Territory was created.
I'm mostly making a geographical declaration, with a side of cultural difference. The states that I've pointed out as being The Great Lakes Region is the original Northwest Territory, which became part of the "Midwest" one hundred years later. It has been 140 years since and I think it's probably time to look at the fact that Ohio is neither Mid nor West, but in the Great Lakes area and should be labeled as such.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:54 PM

908 posts, read 1,413,942 times
Since at one time, this area was called "Upper Quebec", I feel that we should call ourselves Upper Quebecois and form a separatist movement inspired by a hockey fight.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:18 PM

168 posts, read 250,807 times
Quote:
OH Boy! Thanks for chiming in SoCal and BKLN NY. I've had the good fortune to live in both of those areas, but I am an Ohio native and current reside in OH once again and unless you've spent any amount of time here, you have zero credibility behind your comments besides reciting some wikipedia info you've regurgitated.
Thank you for being so strong willed to stick to 140 to 240yr old labels. Imagine where we would be if we called everything we know today as it were in the 1880s when the "Midwest" was declared or even the 1780s when the NW Territory was created.
I'm mostly making a geographical declaration, with a side of cultural difference. The states that I've pointed out as being The Great Lakes Region is the original Northwest Territory, which became part of the "Midwest" one hundred years later. It has been 140 years since and I think it's probably time to look at the fact that Ohio is neither Mid nor West, but in the Great Lakes area and should be labeled as such.
Dude you have no idea of what my past is or what my education is, I'm not reciting anything from Wikipedia, I don't need to go there to get basic historic information. It's pretty common knowledge that the term Midwest came from the Northwest Territory and the Northwest Ordinance, where you're getting this 1880s creation of the "Midwest" I'm not quite sure. If your "real" Midwest wants it's own term they're perfectly welcome to use the term Great Plains, the Midwest is traditionally and rightfully a term started of and from the Northwest Territory, and there's no denying the original Northwest Territory state was Ohio.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:50 PM

There is no question that Ohio is the first state of what used to be the Northwest Territory... You used to be a child but I'm sure you don't consider yourself that any longer, although your use of Dude to begin your reiteration might say otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio