Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you say Ohio is in the Northeast or Midwest?
Northeast 60 21.13%
Midwest 202 71.13%
Other (specify in your post) 22 7.75%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 06:16 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,897,707 times

Advertisements

Cleveland/Akron seem almost northeastern to me (my hometown is in SE Michigan). Central and western Ohio are very Midwestern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 06:38 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Ohio is definitely part of the midwest.

Just go to Boston and ask where is Ohio? Some think it is part of India, others think it might be out somewhere around CA. They don't talk Real USA up there. There are no nice townships, nothing is square. Most places you can't even turn right on red like in the real Midwest.

They talk about down east stuff or you kaan't geett tharrr from heere

There are no Pilgrims in Ohio; there are no Yankee type holidays in Ohio. Where did anybody get this strange idea. They make real milkshakes in Ohio.

Even NY sometimes doesn't want to claim being in the northeast.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:09 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,861,112 times
I've lived in Ohio all my life, and have NEVER considered myself a part of the Northeast! When I think of the Northeast, I think of rude pushy people who say "youse guyz"...

Cleveland certainly feels more Northeastern than where I'm from...but then Cleveland's kindof generally weird anyway

Far as I'm concerned Ohio is both Midwestern and Appalachian. And perhaps even some parts (Ohio River counties like Clermont, Adams, Brown) could be considered Southern by the grace of God

Old 03-12-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
Texas, California and Ohio are probably the most independent states in the country.
Interesting insight. Thanks!

This actually puts Ohio in some pretty lofty company

Old 03-13-2007, 01:29 AM

123 posts, read 560,534 times
I always considered Ohio the "middle East". Its not west, its not the middle west-- in fact, its not anywhere near the west. I consider the west anything west of Kansas, Nebraska, Texas, and the Dakotas, which are all "central" or Great Plains states. The east is anything east of PA, WVA, Ken-tuck, etc-- (aside from those states that are considered "the South"). Ohio is not in the middle of the US, nor is anywhere close to the western US...its closer to the central Us than the west. It is in the middle of the general "eastern" states in the us, so it is in the "Middle East", just like Saudi Arabia.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWayOut View Post
...so it is in the "Middle East", just like Saudi Arabia.
Except for the lack of sand. Or oil. Or terrorists.

Although with the latter, I'm sure there are a few Islamakazi nutjob cells operating undercover in our major cities...

Old 03-13-2007, 09:08 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
The reason it's hard to define Cleveland as either midwestern or north-eastern is that it is neither. Cleveland is part of THE GREAT LAKES RUST BELT. Just like Detroit, Toledo, Buffalo, Erie, and Pittsburgh (although on a river). You could even throw Toronto in there as well (although much more cosmopolitan) this area has a completely different vibe than the midwest and/or northeast. The location:close to appalachia, close to Canada, within a days drive to the East coast, the creation of the Erie Canal which connected it to other cities in all directions, makes this area unique.

If people would start seeing it for the unique location it is, instead of just an old, dying crust, then it might turn into the next boomtown. When water becomes the next rare resource, The Great Lakes will be the spot to be.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:41 PM

332 posts, read 2,251,688 times
^Exactly we just have to make sure those desert southwest states don't build a canal and try to steal our water.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:07 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
There's nothing northeastern about Ohio.

Thank God.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:54 PM

45 posts, read 272,953 times
As a native Cincinnatian, I always considered myself to be a midwesterner. But there is a definite difference in feel between northern Ohio and southern Ohio. Not counting the indigenous peoples already there, the north was settled originally by New Englanders and their influence is seen in most of the older towns ands cities. The south was settled by Virginians. Ohio was the first state created out of the Northwest Territories, and the other states created out of NW Territories are all clearly midwestern. And the final proof -- the local TV show of the 50s and 60s, The Midwestern Hayride

...though it sure did sound southern to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio