Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:07 PM

78 posts, read 324,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
Wooster has a lot lower a crime rate, from what Mansfield area folks have to say, than Mansfield does. Mansfield seems reasonably safe, but it does have some rougher areas.

As far as the economy, the closing of ARMCO AK steel in 1999 or shortly thereafter seems to have hurt Mansfield. This was a big deal when that plant closed, as it was very large. The old plant has recently been completely razed and leveled, though, so maybe the city is looking at building a new plant there??
Wooster may have a lower crime rate, but Mansfield is more than twice its size (Mansfield's MSA is around 125,000 people). Also, if you stay out of the troubled areas or don't partake in illicit activities, you should be fine.

On to AK Steel, they are not closed. In 1999 workers were locked out and there was a long strike. However, it is still in operation. The factory has also downsized and the portion of the factory that was demolished is only a part of the large complex.

For the OP:

I would also like to add that Mansfield has a very nice downtown. Since you have children, you might want to take them to the Carousel, then for lunch at Coney Island, and then have dessert at Buckeye Bakery. Also, there is the Carousel workshop and the Richland Academy, both of which offers programs for kids. Downtown also offers a selection of restaurants and bars, a bookstore, a coffee shop, a shoe store, and much more. Oh, and you should catch a show at the Renaissance Theater, they offer great plays, musicals, concerts, and pretty much everything related to performing arts.

As far as neighborhoods, Mansfield's Parkwood and Woodland neighborhoods are very nice, safe, and well preserved. Our suburbs of Lexington, Ontario, and Madison are nice as well. Lexington and Ontario public schools are really good, Madison is so-so, and St. Peter's is one of the best private schools in Mansfield. Mansfield also offers different charter schools, but I don't know much about them.

Mansfield also offer's a great park system (North Lake, Middle, and South Park), Kingwood Center, a bike trail (it runs from North Lake Park to Butler), and Mohican State Park (about 30 min. south west of Mansfield).

As for IT jobs, I am sure you could find a job in Mansfield (a new IT firm just opened downtown). If you can't, you are about an hour away from Columbus, Cleveland, and Akron (traveling distance is about the same for Wooster, except they are closer to Akron I believe).

I would like to conclude that Mansfield and Wooster are great places to live and that you should visit both. You should visit the parts in town that you are interested and get the "feel" for that area. I wish you good luck in your search and hope that you enjoy Ohio.

Some sites that I recommend you visit:

Mansfield Convention and Visitor's Bureau

Main Street Mansfield (http://www.downtownmansfield.com/index.htm - broken link)

Renaissance Theater

Carousel Park

Mohican State Park

Kingwood Center

And for pictures of Parkwood

Pictures of Mansfield
More pictures of Mansfield
and even more pictures of Mansfield

If you want to know more, you can message me or you could visit UrbanOhio for all of your Ohio information needs!

Last edited by andrew0816; 05-07-2009 at 07:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 03:32 PM

6 posts, read 16,076 times
Default Pro-Mansfield

Andrew0816 gave a great review of all Mansfield has to offer and I have to agree. I moved to Mansfield almost 3 years ago from Cleveland and love it here. It is a beautiful family oriented city with plenty to offer. It is a quick drive to Cleveland and Columbus. Coming from Cleveland, it took me awhile to get used to how friendly people were here...people actually say hi and talk to you in stores.

Mansfield has some beautiful historic neighborhoods (I live in Woodland) at amazingly affordable prices. You'd pay double or triple for comparable housing in Cleveland. Additionally, there are some urban apartments in downtown Mansfield, and many new housing developments in neighboring Lexington and Ontario. I've found that living in the city of Mansfield, it only takes us 15 minutes max. to get anywhere around here...to our larger commercial shopping in Ontario, to visit friends and parks in Lexington or Madison.

As far as schools, my oldest is only in Pre-Kindergarten at Discovery School. It is a great private school and I highly recommend it. My children will attend Woodland Elementary (Mansfield City) school as they get older.

I think Mansfield has a lot to offer and is a great place to raise a family.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:00 PM

50,023 posts, read 63,359,544 times
Have you considered Medina? More convenient to civilization, yet just a little north of Wooster.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,313 times
Having been born in Wayne Co, and actually living in Woo for many years. It is a fair city with a mix of city and rural living. It has had it's own problems with an employer closing down, but it has many positive attributes - fine medical facilities, access to both rural and city living, and a generous people. Having worked in Mansfield for years (actually Ontario) it's characteristics are relatively similar. Mansfield may have more shopping close at hand, but it does have more urban related problems. However, it would be your personal preference, I would think. I personally prefer Wooster and Wayne County myself. Maybe because I was born in Wayne County. Never the less the North Central Ohio area has good quality living not found in a lot of places. You are sure welcome to join us.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:59 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,303,548 times
Wooster has the Ohio Light Opera and is very close to the heart of Ohio Amish Country in eastern Holmes County (around Walnut Creek).

Don't underestimate Wooster's close proximity to Akron (minor league baseball, Stan Hywet Hall, a small zoo, a good regional art museum, etc.), especially if you have younger children. Canton has some interesting attractions, such as the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

- We're Your Back Yard

The Mohican Region southeast of Mansfield is a very popular recreational region in Ohio. See discussion here:

Cleveland: Day Trips - TripAdvisor

Old 03-25-2015, 11:21 AM

1,581 posts, read 1,962,489 times
I've not been there, but this place looks promising:

JAFB Wooster Brewery - Wooster, OH | Yelp

Old 03-25-2015, 08:35 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,526,729 times
Wooster vs Mansfield? Wooster and it's not even close.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:20 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,671,938 times
I wouldnt move to mansfield. Never lived there, but always hear negative things about it especially crime. So of the two, I would pick Wooster.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:21 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,370,159 times
Lexington, OH village south side of Mansfield is a nice community, nearby Clearfork Lake if you are a boater. Pleasant Hill Area near Malabar Farm if you like rural area. Mansfield has 2 ski resorts, Snow Trails considered the best in OH.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:02 AM

1,581 posts, read 1,962,489 times
I had a customer in Mansfield, and the restaurants we had lunch at downtown were nice. Historic buildings with plenty of parking. Also had lunch at the country club---didn't play golf but looked nice. I'm sure it's not expensive to join. They had a big pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio