Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 11:10 PM

144 posts, read 161,060 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

So I'm in a stage of my life where I'm about to embark on some serious and exciting changes. I am 23 and about to finally leave the nest for graduate school, and soon after plan on joining the army. While I would be happy to get into details and provide context as to my decisions, I will for now spare you fine folks a long winded post, unless specifically asked.

Anyway, it has been a long time aspiration of mine to one day move to another state that is more agreeable to my lifestyle and values, where I can put down roots, raise a family, be part of an involved community, and pursue my professional goals. I was born, raised, and continue to live in New York City (finally leaving soon) and I have disliked many aspects of living here for some time--namely many of societal issues that plague the culture here.

For over a year now, I've been working on a personal project I've dubbed "Roots" where I evaluate many potential places to move and settle in upon completing my education and military service. I base my evaluation of states on a number of factors: synchronization with my preferred lifestyle and values, political climate, laws//public policy (namely taxes), real estate values, education system(s), etc. After a very long and contested screening process of 9 states, Ohio came out on top.

So now to get into the meat of it all, I've been researching Ohio for many weeks now. I have to say that I currently have my heart set on Delaware County: namely Powell and Dublin. Marysville is a viable, cheaper alternative to the two.

A couple of things you guys should know about me so you can understand how I've settled on these places: I very much enjoy the suburban lifestyle and culture. I am family oriented and have looked forward to raising a family in a spacious home in an involved community since I was a child. I am currently involved in education and have taught at middle and high schools. I have political aspirations and am a staunch conservative. With that said, it's important that I be within a reasonable driving distance within a state's capitol, as that's where all the political work is--hence Powell, Dublin, and Marysville all being within a 45 minute drive to Columbus.

I realize Powell and Dublin are upper crust and may be difficult to sustain on a teacher's/state legislator's salary, but I've been doing the math and so long as my would-be wife works part time, we can more than afford it. I am especially impressed by the school districts within Powell and Dublin, as their schools show high standards and substantive results--which is music to my ears. I find the prospect of working at such schools to be very attractive, and they pay rather well for someone with a few years experience and a Master's degree. And of course once I have kids I would feel very confident about sending them to such high performing schools. There's also the fact that the Ohio State University is a short drive to Columbus, and that certainly presents an ambitious professional prospect. Of course as it relates to politics, data-stats show that Powell and Dublin have politically conservative constituencies--which is encouraging to my political aspirations--and both are less than an hour's drive to the capitol.

Essentially, I am asking you fine folks for an unfiltered run-down of living within central Ohio, namely Powell, Dublin, Marysville, and Columbus. Based on what I told you guys, do you think it would be a good fit for me and my goals? What are some of things you guys particularly like or dislike about the area(s)? I gotta say my biggest concern so far is the unbelievably high property taxes...like seriously, what's up with that?

Thank you all for your considerations. Cheers, and God bless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 02:13 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,103,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialMaverick View Post
Hi all,

So I'm in a stage of my life where I'm about to embark on some serious and exciting changes. I am 23 and about to finally leave the nest for graduate school, and soon after plan on joining the army. While I would be happy to get into details and provide context as to my decisions, I will for now spare you fine folks a long winded post, unless specifically asked.

Anyway, it has been a long time aspiration of mine to one day move to another state that is more agreeable to my lifestyle and values, where I can put down roots, raise a family, be part of an involved community, and pursue my professional goals. I was born, raised, and continue to live in New York City (finally leaving soon) and I have disliked many aspects of living here for some time--namely many of societal issues that plague the culture here.

For over a year now, I've been working on a personal project I've dubbed "Roots" where I evaluate many potential places to move and settle in upon completing my education and military service. I base my evaluation of states on a number of factors: synchronization with my preferred lifestyle and values, political climate, laws//public policy (namely taxes), real estate values, education system(s), etc. After a very long and contested screening process of 9 states, Ohio came out on top.

So now to get into the meat of it all, I've been researching Ohio for many weeks now. I have to say that I currently have my heart set on Delaware County: namely Powell and Dublin. Marysville is a viable, cheaper alternative to the two.

A couple of things you guys should know about me so you can understand how I've settled on these places: I very much enjoy the suburban lifestyle and culture. I am family oriented and have looked forward to raising a family in a spacious home in an involved community since I was a child. I am currently involved in education and have taught at middle and high schools. I have political aspirations and am a staunch conservative. With that said, it's important that I be within a reasonable driving distance within a state's capitol, as that's where all the political work is--hence Powell, Dublin, and Marysville all being within a 45 minute drive to Columbus.

I realize Powell and Dublin are upper crust and may be difficult to sustain on a teacher's/state legislator's salary, but I've been doing the math and so long as my would-be wife works part time, we can more than afford it. I am especially impressed by the school districts within Powell and Dublin, as their schools show high standards and substantive results--which is music to my ears. I find the prospect of working at such schools to be very attractive, and they pay rather well for someone with a few years experience and a Master's degree. And of course once I have kids I would feel very confident about sending them to such high performing schools. There's also the fact that the Ohio State University is a short drive to Columbus, and that certainly presents an ambitious professional prospect. Of course as it relates to politics, data-stats show that Powell and Dublin have politically conservative constituencies--which is encouraging to my political aspirations--and both are less than an hour's drive to the capitol.

Essentially, I am asking you fine folks for an unfiltered run-down of living within central Ohio, namely Powell, Dublin, Marysville, and Columbus. Based on what I told you guys, do you think it would be a good fit for me and my goals? What are some of things you guys particularly like or dislike about the area(s)? I gotta say my biggest concern so far is the unbelievably high property taxes...like seriously, what's up with that?

Thank you all for your considerations. Cheers, and God bless!
Hi there,

I live in the city of Columbus in suburban neighborhood within 10-15 minutes from downtown, OSU, and the Short North. I am also from metro NYC and personally I love living in Central Ohio and plan on staying here long term. The conveniences and safety of suburbia with very easy access to OSU, restaurants, nightlife, the airport and unique neighborhoods.

If you are a graduate student you likely are not going to want to live in Powell. I say that as someone who went to OSU for undergrad and currently goes to law school there. Ohio State is in Columbus, roughly two miles from downtown. Graduate/professional school can be taxing and competitive and you aren't going to want to waste a lot of time sitting in a car or traffic.

From my knowledge the property taxes in Dublin and Powell are pretty high even from east coast standards. As you noted the school districts are high performing. I don't see the point of paying for the schools if you don't have children yet. I would suggest Hilliard, Gahanna, Westerville or Worthington all of which are nice suburban areas but aren't as pricey.

Overall I think you'd enjoy Dublin/Delaware County based on your description

Old 11-18-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Hi there,

I live in the city of Columbus in suburban neighborhood within 10-15 minutes from downtown, OSU, and the Short North. I am also from metro NYC and personally I love living in Central Ohio and plan on staying here long term. The conveniences and safety of suburbia with very easy access to OSU, restaurants, nightlife, the airport and unique neighborhoods.

If you are a graduate student you likely are not going to want to live in Powell. I say that as someone who went to OSU for undergrad and currently goes to law school there. Ohio State is in Columbus, roughly two miles from downtown. Graduate/professional school can be taxing and competitive and you aren't going to want to waste a lot of time sitting in a car or traffic.

From my knowledge the property taxes in Dublin and Powell are pretty high even from east coast standards. As you noted the school districts are high performing. I don't see the point of paying for the schools if you don't have children yet. I would suggest Hilliard, Gahanna, Westerville or Worthington all of which are nice suburban areas but aren't as pricey.

Overall I think you'd enjoy Dublin/Delaware County based on your description
Thank you for your gracious response. I suppose I should note that I do not plan on attending graduate school in Ohio, I'm more than likely headed to Washington D.C for that. Ohio is a potential plan for after I finish school and military service, so as to not return to NYC. When I mentioned OSU as a potential professional opportunity, I meant as an opportunity to one day teach there.

Thank you for your suggestions, I will look into them.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:46 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I lived east of Columbus area, so not too familiar with that specific area. I raised all my children in NE Ohio, and it was safe, family oriented, and the schools were good.

This being said, I am quite familiar with the Centerville area, between Dayton and Cincinnati, and I highly recommend that you look at it. Wright Patterson is there, it’s beautiful country, and the schools are very highly rated. My daughter raised her kids there and it was a happy, healthy environment. You’d have UCincinnati, Miami U, Xavier, and U of Dayton, among others.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I lived east of Columbus area, so not too familiar with that specific area. I raised all my children in NE Ohio, and it was safe, family oriented, and the schools were good.

This being said, I am quite familiar with the Centerville area, between Dayton and Cincinnati, and I highly recommend that you look at it. Wright Patterson is there, it’s beautiful country, and the schools are very highly rated. My daughter raised her kids there and it was a happy, healthy environment. You’d have UCincinnati, Miami U, Xavier, and U of Dayton, among others.

Thanks for chiming in! I was more set on central Ohio, as proximity to the Capitol is quite important to me, but I will definitelty research your recommendations.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:15 PM

730 posts, read 776,213 times
There is no need to live a suburban neighborhood right off. Get your grad degree, do your desired service stint, and once you and your spouse are ready to start a family pick the area that best suits you at that point.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post
There is no need to live a suburban neighborhood right off. Get your grad degree, do your desired service stint, and once you and your spouse are ready to start a family pick the area that best suits you at that point.

Wasn't planning on moving into a house right away--but that is the main goal. Not even attending graduate school in Ohio. Just wanted some grassroots context/perspective to the areas. Researching online will only give you filtered results.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:53 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,987,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialMaverick View Post
Thank you for your gracious response. I suppose I should note that I do not plan on attending graduate school in Ohio, I'm more than likely headed to Washington D.C for that. Ohio is a potential plan for after I finish school and military service, so as to not return to NYC. When I mentioned OSU as a potential professional opportunity, I meant as an opportunity to one day teach there.

Thank you for your suggestions, I will look into them.
It sounds like you're looking at a minimum of 6 years down the road, if not a couple decades down the road.

I'd just hold off until you get closer to the time you actually want to make a move. A lot could change between now and then.

As an aside, DC doesn't sound like a great fit for you if you don't like NYC and are attracted to small town Ohio.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:32 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
It sounds like you're looking at a minimum of 6 years down the road, if not a couple decades down the road.

I'd just hold off until you get closer to the time you actually want to make a move. A lot could change between now and then.

As an aside, DC doesn't sound like a great fit for you if you don't like NYC and are attracted to small town Ohio.
I think he must like the graduate program in DC, so it’s just a box he’s checking on the way to blessed flyover country.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:43 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,879,507 times
Delaware County is the richest county in Ohio and one of the most educated counties in the country but coming from NYC it will not be too pricey for you. Delaware OH is not that wealthy you could buy a nice there if you need to but Powell is pretty wealthy . Dublin is pretty nice as well but has some middle class parts. You could be alright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio