Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 01:01 PM

8 posts, read 25,696 times

Advertisements

Gee thanks Tincan....appreciate that reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 02:14 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,059,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaGriot2817 View Post
Gee thanks Tincan....appreciate that reply.
Considering Tincan's incongruous response, he should thank his lucky stars that Lima State Hospital is closed. LOL

Old 12-14-2011, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONATHAN GALLIMORE View Post
First - the book does exist. Second - there is also a book called "Death Walks The Halls" . Both books were published. Both books were banned. Hm-m-m I wonder why. Maybe its because they go into detail about what happened to the mental patients. You know ( names ), ( dates ), ( experiments done ). Not to mention what happened to some of the prisoners and some of the guards that were there when it turned into a prison.
lci did not start till 1982

Old 12-28-2011, 09:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,777 times
Quote:
First - the book does exist. Second - there is also a book called "Death Walks The Halls" . Both books were published. Both books were banned. Hm-m-m I wonder why. Maybe its because they go into detail about what happened to the mental patients. You know ( names ), ( dates ), ( experiments done ). Not to mention what happened to some of the prisoners and some of the guards that were there when it turned into a prison.

I have a copy of the first so-called book. It is actually a large magazine type pample (Chamber of Horrors) whose pages are copies of all the news article printed in the Cleveland Plain Dealer during the investigation of Lima State Hospital during the early 70s. I worked at LSH from 1967 through 1982. I transfered to the Lima Corretional Instituion and retired from there in 2000. I can say with no reservations that many of the stories contained in the "Chamber Of Horrors" were editorials (the writer's opinion), and perfabrications. Some were based very loosely on fact. Death Walks the Halls was a comic book published in the 1950s.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:38 AM

5 posts, read 15,327 times
tincan can you reproduce the "book" i would love to have a copy

Old 04-16-2012, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,495 times
Default Records and Charles Gibbs

My ggrandfather, Charles Gibbs, was sent to LSH in the late 40's and eventually died there on 5 May 1968. He murdered his daughter's boyfriend down in Cincinnati and was found not guilty by reason of insanity.

Are there any records that I can look to? I'm researching a possible book about the murder. Anyone out there have any ideas on where to start as far as LSH is concerned?

Thanks!

Old 04-16-2012, 12:16 PM

33 posts, read 171,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmierue View Post
My ggrandfather, Charles Gibbs, was sent to LSH in the late 40's and eventually died there on 5 May 1968. He murdered his daughter's boyfriend down in Cincinnati and was found not guilty by reason of insanity.

Are there any records that I can look to? I'm researching a possible book about the murder. Anyone out there have any ideas on where to start as far as LSH is concerned?

Thanks!
Good afternoon. In regards to finding information about your grandfather...you will probably want to start off at the Ohio Historical Society. First, you will have to be the next of kin. For example, if your grandfather has any other relatives closer than you...you will have to get their help. (His wife, children, etc.) That person can make a request to get copies of any info they have. (Probably not too much) Intake book, etc.

That is the tricky thing about doing research at State Hospitals. Due to medical privacy laws...one cannot simply start rooting through hospital files. Sadly, most personal case files were likely destroyed. Good luck on your research!

Old 07-07-2012, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,401 times
I was interred at LSH in 1971.
After a year there, I wrote a Writ of Habeus Corpus, stood before a Columbus judge and was released.
It was the last of half a dozen institutions that hosted me.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjhou View Post
I wouldn't expect any different from an a former employee! You know as well as I do that what I said is true! A book did exsist and still does! By the way idiot the book is called chambers of horror! It had nothing to do with the plain dealer! If it was that simple then there wouldn't exist a widely need to find it! Imagination? Hardly! I just happened to be one of the very few who was never intimadated by you or anyone else that worked there! I know who you are! I have no choice but to remember! I lost a great deal of my life in that place! You guys are very good in covering things up! I hope no one is blinded by your bs! Explain why no one has been granted permission to investigate Lima? In this country and outside this country people have been granted permission for anywhere else but lima! Be man enough to address me directly instead of on here where you are able to make yourself look better than you actually do!
BIGJHOU; I know that you are being completely honest it's funny my husband spent some time at L.C.I and last night he started telling me about this book that he had heard about and it was called the Chamber of Horrors and it was published by Plain Dealer but they put a halt on publishment of the book cause I checked. My husband also said it was circulating at L.C.I while he was there and if you were caught with it in your possession they would throw you in the hole and take it. He also said they would actually shake you down if they had heard that someone had it. He didn't get the opportunity to read it but he did speak to people who had read it and spoke on how horrifying it was. Stories of how female patients/inmates were raped and abortions were carried out or even murder of babies after they were born. People can be cruel and sick in my opinion the sickest people are the one's covering it all up. It's disgusting that these "guards/officers" could have been so heartless to just disregard human life because a person is a criminal and in my opinion a truly sick person who commits a crime can't be held responsible and obviously that is the law as well but because these people were mentally imbalanced or dangerous these guards could just be so cruel and I saw that this "officer" stated that was the way medicine was back in those days????? Really dude? Torture chambers and rapes and even murder??? What kind of sick ****s were these doctors and officers???? I truly wish somebody would blow the top of this whole thing and let the truth come out and let people know what really went on behind the walls of The Lima State Hospital!!! I don't know how true it is but I heard the reason they keep that book as hid as they can is because some of the names of the officers listed in the book are still alive....Welp I think that if they did what I think they did then screw em they don't deserve to live! They should be taken out to L.C.I and locked inside all alone and let us just see what happens.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,278 times
Default Tunnels

Quote:
In the early 70s when five patients escaped from the Lima Mental Hospital, were found west of Spencerville, Ohio. In our barn, and the corn field next to our house.
I was also an inmate there in 1993. The stories or tall tales that have been told about this place are
all TRUE. However, not to many things were told about the tunnel, or the sub-basement, or the solid steel door in the basement that won't stay locked even with a padlock.
I was a worker at Oakwood Correctional which housed severly mental patients that were to unstable for gen pop at he parent institution. My first work detail was in thge kitchen. Since we did not have a large over we would receive our food in a hot box. This required kitchen staff to walk through an old underground tunnel to a steal gate adjacent to Lima kitchen. It was pretty scary. Hair would stand up on the back of my neck often. I also worked on a third shift floor crew and got to go through some of the other tunnels. My crew would use these hideouts to avoid the third shift white shirt. We had a CO with us who liked to get his sleep in so he was very much into allowing us to search these otherwised locked locations out. Good stuff. I can only imagine the older tummels that are actually undderneath the prison. Lima that is. Adam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio