Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:18 PM

1 posts, read 7,606 times

Advertisements

i was formerly a prisoner at lima for 9 yrs. and let me tell you that ones who are saying the stories about it aren't real don't have a clue at all what so ever. especially when they weren't there. don't talk about something have no idea about. i was locked up in solitary confinement for being caught with the copy of the book. it told of too much information and was a no no to have in your possession. as for graves? the center yard, east yard, and court yards are full of the people they tortured and killed.
BIG HOUSTON
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 09:30 AM

33 posts, read 170,978 times
Clint-

Your device is a violet ray Super Marvel quack medical device was used as a stimulating "cure all" for everything from arthritis to baldness. It typically had 3 glass working wands that emit a blue and purple light that makes sparks when touched. This machine was patented August 26, 1924 and was produced by Eastern Laboratories Inc, New York. It is a universal 110 volt and approx 16 " long with the glass wand attached. The box is approx 13x9 ".

Though it would be a long shot to assume this necessarily came from the State Hospital. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Good luck!

Old 09-12-2010, 03:11 PM

13 posts, read 100,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJAYHOUSTON View Post
i was formerly a prisoner at lima for 9 yrs. and let me tell you that ones who are saying the stories about it aren't real don't have a clue at all what so ever. especially when they weren't there. don't talk about something have no idea about. i was locked up in solitary confinement for being caught with the copy of the book. it told of too much information and was a no no to have in your possession. as for graves? the center yard, east yard, and court yards are full of the people they tortured and killed.
BIG HOUSTON
Well whoever you are, you might of at one time been a convicted felon serving time at LSH or LCI, my time on the other side of the law, encompassed 5 decades of service at both LSH and LCI, if you were in the hole for what you refer to as 'the book' is seriously doubtful, possession of the Cleveland Plain Dealer insert Shop of horrors was not illegal, it was scrutinized during the end of days for LSH because of the indictments that were generated from investigations, but there were no significant convictions, people didn't snitch on each other as they do so freely now a days, as far as your insinuations of bodies being buried in the courtyards, you have a rather limited imagination, why would there be a need to hide a body when you can control the way of death, the investigation of the death, the autopsy, the removal of the body and the burial or cremation, as far as torture, what can I say, sometimes conventional medications didn't work, and it might sound cliche, but that's the way thing were done back then, sometime justice has a different way of fulfilling it intended means.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:40 AM

I've met some great people thanks to this thread. Thought in return I would share a few images with you.

Thanks again to everyone who has contacted me thus far. Researching the history of a near century old building is a monumental task. Without the insight of individuals who each had a unique experience...so much would be lost to history.

My favorite interview was with Mike Newland and his lovely wife, Jane. Mike was LSH Chief of Security for many years. I consider him a hero for his integrity, selflessness, bravery and ingenuity that he displayed during his career. From performing life-saving surgery, building the security towers, to climbing the water tower to talk down a patient. Sadly, Mike passed away a few years ago. Though I am still very sad about this, I will be forever grateful for the opportunity to have met him.

I've also been fortunate enough to speak with former patient, Billy Milligan. I mentioned to him about a photo I admired that was taken by renowned photographer, Eugene Richards. The photo featured a deer in a courtyard along with a patient. The deer was brought to the property because it had been driven mad by abusive children who had pelted it with rocks. I was amazed when Billy showed me a photo of himself with this very same deer.

Again, please feel free to drop me a line.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 14,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe quickle View Post
I have spent quite a few years at the Lima Corrections starting in the mid 70's. There is a book titled "Chamber of Horrors" about the Mental side of the place and the terrible things that went on there. The Plain Dealer newspaper is or was in controll of this book and can not be published because some of the guards responsible for murders are or were still alive. I have not been able to find this book but would like to obtain a copy if it does in fact exist. If anyone can obtain info about this please inform me. I to have many stories abouit thisplace, and seen first hane some of the things uncovered there while the Corrections part took overe. I was one of the 400 first inmates there to assist in the clean-up.
First - the book does exist. Second - there is also a book called "Death Walks The Halls" . Both books were published. Both books were banned. Hm-m-m I wonder why. Maybe its because they go into detail about what happened to the mental patients. You know ( names ), ( dates ), ( experiments done ). Not to mention what happened to some of the prisoners and some of the guards that were there when it turned into a prison.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 14,950 times
In the early 70s when five patients escaped from the Lima Mental Hospital, were found west of Spencerville, Ohio. In our barn, and the corn field next to our house.
I was also an inmate there in 1993. The stories or tall tales that have been told about this place are
all TRUE. However, not to many things were told about the tunnel, or the sub-basement, or the solid steel door in the basement that won't stay locked even with a padlock.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:59 PM

13 posts, read 100,572 times
Your first postcard photo is taken from the west side looking north, this was taken when the only thing on the grounds was the State Hospital.

The second postcard photo is taken in the center courtyard, looking to the northwest corner. you can also see this area in the 3 RD photo.

The third postcard photo is taken in the center yard, standing center sidewalk on the south end of the courtyard looking north, the smokestack rising above is at the powerhouse, there was eventually another smokestack that was built, and in the late 1980's or early 1990's they were both dropped when the powerhouse quit burning coal and switched to gas, the large white door rising above the patient getting ready to throw the ball, and the other big white door that mirrors it, are where the patients would enter and exit the chow hall, the patients were often taken to the chow hall through the courtyard, during nice weather, for many of them this was the only time they were exposed to the sunshine, the psychotropic medications that many took didn't seem to mix well with sunshine, at the left corner of the courtyard where the patients are gathered on the sidewalk, and the door that is open just above the steps they are standing in front of, is where the 2ND postcard photo was taken.

And a reminder, Billy Millligan was a convicted felon, he was also committed to the Lima State Hospital for the Criminally Insane, you must always remember this whenever you are talking with him, he will attempt to con you, to smooth you over, use you up and discard you, keep your grasp on sanity, he let his grasp go along time ago, he will always be a convicted felon and a patient that was committed to an insane asylum, don't let him to close to your personal world, your family or your life.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 7,452 times
Hello, my name is Melissa. I work with a group called Tri State Paranormal of Northern Kentucky. We do investigations in Ohio and Kentucky. I was wondering if anyone could contact me here on information of who to contact to do an investigation of the building. Or you can email me at [EMAIL="hbmom02@aol.com"]hbmom02@aol.com[/EMAIL] or call the following number for T.S.P at 859-420-4697 with any history of the building. Also please feel free to look up our website [URL="http://www.tspnorthernkentucky.com"]www.tspnorthernkentucky.com[/URL]. We never charge anyone and we do a thorough inspection of homes and businesses before we do an investigation which is all free. If you or anyone you know needs help or thinks they have activity at their home or business. please feel free to contact us. Thank You.
Melissa

Old 12-16-2010, 01:05 AM

1 posts, read 7,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksohorg View Post
Well whoever you are, you might of at one time been a convicted felon serving time at LSH or LCI, my time on the other side of the law, encompassed 5 decades of service at both LSH and LCI, if you were in the hole for what you refer to as 'the book' is seriously doubtful, possession of the Cleveland Plain Dealer insert Shop of horrors was not illegal, it was scrutinized during the end of days for LSH because of the indictments that were generated from investigations, but there were no significant convictions, people didn't snitch on each other as they do so freely now a days, as far as your insinuations of bodies being buried in the courtyards, you have a rather limited imagination, why would there be a need to hide a body when you can control the way of death, the investigation of the death, the autopsy, the removal of the body and the burial or cremation, as far as torture, what can I say, sometimes conventional medications didn't work, and it might sound cliche, but that's the way thing were done back then, sometime justice has a different way of fulfilling it intended means.
I wouldn't expect any different from an a former employee! You know as well as I do that what I said is true! A book did exsist and still does! By the way idiot the book is called chambers of horror! It had nothing to do with the plain dealer! If it was that simple then there wouldn't exist a widely need to find it! Imagination? Hardly! I just happened to be one of the very few who was never intimadated by you or anyone else that worked there! I know who you are! I have no choice but to remember! I lost a great deal of my life in that place! You guys are very good in covering things up! I hope no one is blinded by your bs! Explain why no one has been granted permission to investigate Lima? In this country and outside this country people have been granted permission for anywhere else but lima! Be man enough to address me directly instead of on here where you are able to make yourself look better than you actually do!

Old 12-16-2010, 07:48 AM

<<Partial message I received>>

A museum?! Really?! U have no idea! The grounds themselves tell a story! I was an inmate and c nothing museum like what-so-ever! Man get real! And the only reason u don't want to disclose names is because u have been...forwarned! Tell the truth they got u as they do most!

<<Response>>

Good morning, my friend. You are probably right....it will likely never be opened to the public. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be. Personally, I don't believe that its history should be swept under the rug and forgotten. Both the good and the bad. For the sake of those that died and suffered there as well as the revolutionary events that took place at LSH. Art Therapy/Animal Rehabilitation.

As for being forewarned...I have not been threatened. My decision in investigating this from an objective view and not turning this into a witch hunt is so that people are not intimidated into not telling me their stories. When it comes to correctional officers, military personnel, police, state hospital attendants, or criminals.....there is a code of secrecy. If I break that for the sake of a sensational, story then I am going to be blacklisted and nobody is going to tell me anything. That goes for you too. Don't you think you would hold back from me if you thought it was possible that I would use your name and air your 30-year-old dirty laundry all over the internet? I believe the real enemy is the system that you found yourself in at the hospital. It was archaic. Ineffective treatment and punishment. Overcrowding. By examining the circumstances we can do our part to make sure that those circumstances are minimized now and in the future. For the safety of inmates/patients, correctional officials and the public.

I can't look at the story of the Lima State Hospital in black and white. We are dealing with human nature. There were bad apples amongst the staff and the patients. By default, the patients were considered dangerous criminals. Many patients had murdered before they arrived and some murdered while they were there. So you have to appreciate that the staff were in a dangerous position. But that does NOT excuse the behavior of staff that tortured, raped or murdered. If I took the position that ALL patients were "bad people" or if I took the stance that ALL state officials were "abusive scumbags"....I wouldn't get very far into my understanding of the TRUTH.

I have people that I consider friends that I admire very much that either worked there or were incarcerated there. GOOD people. I hope you are among that lot. Thank you very much for contacting me. I encourage you to stay in touch with me and tell me your story.

Last edited by daileyhistoricalarchives; 12-16-2010 at 08:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio