Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2009, 01:09 PM

17 posts, read 42,351 times

Advertisements

My Husband found property there and wants us to move there with our horses. He is a contractor who's work often brings him down into that area. I have one son in 3rd grade, and decided to do a general search on the area, particularly to glean info on education and the community- holy cow! I found so many blurbs and articles of people bashing it, the school system, local government and the residents. Mind you, from the avatars, etc., they look like they have a bright future ahead of them in the audience of the "Jerry Springer Show" (or maybe "HeeHaw"), but I'm still befuddled. I have a friend whose in-laws (very conservative), seem to feel the same way (still hoping she didn't give her mother in law my address- I'm afraid she'll come over here & hit me over the head with a rolling pin or something, judging from her reaction...). I have yet to find one nice thing said about the area, so I'm getting a little worried, here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 05:02 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,374,030 times
if your friend wont visit maybe its not a friend?
I had property between Woodsfield and Sardis for years,I would spend every weekend down there it is very beautiful country.
It seems you are looking more for a happening spot with malls etc. Woodsfeild has no bling just a quiet lifestyle comparble to Mayberry and I find that a good thing.
It just depends on what you want for yourself and your kids,I myself would rather my kids grew up milking cows rather than peer pressure one finds in the city. but as usual....I may be wrong!

Old 03-27-2009, 09:28 PM

843 posts, read 1,297,779 times
Woodsfield is fine if you want to live in a small town.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:45 PM

498 posts, read 1,507,418 times
i think you are already answering your own question about whether or not you feel that the city is a good idea to move to. i would say that there is nothing special about that place, and it is like every other city in its area.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:29 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,728,087 times
Default Get your info first hand.......

Well it all depends on where you have been getting your info.

There are a lot of good things, there can be some things that can be a bit of a put off. I will not say there are bad things, there really are not.

Lot of it will depend on where you are coming from and what you expect or want and what you are used too and exactly where you plan to live.

It is different if you plan to live within the city limits of Woodsfield or out in the county of Monroe. Totally different animals. The town of Woodsfield is typical with rules and regs, does have a town income tax. But pretty tame compared to many other towns of its size in terms of trying to run your life. The county of Monroe is one of the most unregulated places in the country and has few hassles, with no sorts of income taxes. You do not get many hassles of any type.

In general the bulk of things will be extremely positive compared to most other places. Crime, hassles, cost of living, rules and regs, etc, taxes, shopping. You do get good value from the tax dollars spent compared to just about anywhere else. The folks in general are like most other small town folks, you get the pro's and the con's as per normal if you compare various size population centers.

If you want to get away from it all, move to Freedom Land, then there is a method to the madness. There is always a trade off between civilization and the boonies and all that entails, applies to just about anywhere you attempt to go. A good way is too always start with the county seat of the location you are interested in and move out from there to find Paradise.

Evalute the county seat from a number of perspectives, especially services available, shopping, one stop ability to take care of all the needs in normal daily life. Not all locations will provide the material support most peeps like. Woodsfield is pretty self contained and just about everything is available for normal needs. Two grocery stores, lots of gas stations, 3 hardware stores, one dept store, 4 barbers, 3 banks, on and on. A lot more services that most towns of that size, what it does not have is available about an hour away in either direction north or south. It is a nice mix of being isolated but not totally cutoff from civilization. The main street still has businesses and it functions like small towns did in the past.

The one sort of need that is not totally met is a hospital or medical. Nearest hospital is in Barnsville. Usually you will either have to go there or St. Clairsville. There are a few local doctors, does have local dentists.

I do not know what you have been hearing that is all that negative or what the sources have been. In general most of the things you will normally have to do involving the government is all local. The county government is very efficient, the local courthouse is a bit different than what you will experience in most places. You can just walk in, no guards, no guns, no nothing. You will not have all the corruption or scandals that is so common many other places. They are friendly, no lines, no waiting, they are what government should be. The one very positive thing is most folks vote, local political control still works, something that is becoming far more rare in a lot of other places. The DMV has a local office, that is so, so different from most other places you will experience. Good service, no hassles, most normal living needs are well met.

The county library is located in Woodsfield. Totally first rate, very nice, well managed, excellent services. Ohio does have one of the best library services of any of the states, the Monroe county library is well plugged into it, can borrow just about anything via its delivery system. Users have electronic on line accounts. What is not in stock can be ordered from the system on line.

Monroe county can be quite rural. There is not a huge population. There are Amish about, fair amount of them in Monroe county. Hitching posts for horses in town. There are local sports, has a community pool, the high school is out of town. I do not know much about the schools. High school football is a big event in the fall.

The weather is very mild compared to most locations in Ohio. Not that cold in winter, not that hot in summer, it is well up in elevation and protected from most bad weather patterns. Strange that the weather comes normally from the south and is more typical of what you will get in KY, TN, not like the rest of Ohio. Do not typically get the effects of bad storms in winter, they normally stay well north. What snow that does fall typically does not last that long. Going twenty miles north you really notice the difference in winter.

These southeastern counties also provide services well out into the county that many other places might not. Things like water and gas. Many properties in Monroe county have oil or gas on the property, some will have "Free Gas" available as part of the lease. Water quality can be an issue if you have to depend on wells.

As a general rule many phases probably do not describe it well. You need some hands on experience to see if it fits your expectations. Most things are extremely positive if you keep it all in perspective. It is not New York, Boston, Frisco or even Columbus and Thank God, I've been there, done that, never again.

If you really want to ask me anything, just PM me. Of course there are always things nobody will tell you in public. I have lil negative to say and that is based on experience. It is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio