Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 03:52 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times

Advertisements

Glad you liked it! Hopefully you will find a house soon! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,228 times
Question Requesting Info about areas in Youngstown

Hi,

I am looking into investing in Youngstown, OH and a looking at some houses. The first is on Brentwood. I saw the post that east of Mill Creek Park is not cool, but what about more south/east? The second is on Jefferson Street, near Evans Field and Chase Pool. What is this area like? What is the rental scene for either of these 2 areas? If these are not good rental areas, where should I be looking? Thanks for the info.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:49 AM

18 posts, read 103,027 times
One way I found to get a good idea of what the area looks like from an aerial view was to go to Zillow.com and put in a specific address. It will give you a great satellite view from 4 angles: north, south, east and west. It's excellent for getting a bird's eye view of a particular home and a neighborhood.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:57 PM

43 posts, read 138,010 times
Default W Warren Ave

I just acquired a property on W Warren Ave, in Youngstown... I am really concerned that it is in a bad area of Youngstown. I live appx. 900 miles away... and have never been there, but was planning to go check out the property in a couple of weeks... any advice on the area would be greatly appreciated... I would really like to know what I am getting myself into. Thanks!

Old 05-12-2007, 10:24 PM

47 posts, read 184,312 times
I used to live in this area of Youngstown. On the north side. on Selma street, right off Gypsy lane. there is was a gold course right across the street. And North side hospital 2 blocks away. There is a bit of crime here and there. but there are alot of beautiful old houses on this side of town. They are cheap and need loving owners. If good people would buy homes here and get involved in the community, the neighborhood would improve. Again, there are some big beautiful old homes in park like settings in Youngstown for almost dirt cheap.

Youngstown is making a comeback in case you haven't heard.. Woot!

Also...I am a self employed painter/drywaller in Youngstown. I have many years of experience making old homes look nice again. Send me a PM if you need a pro that doesn't charge an arm and a leg.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:51 AM

Kromm,
Do you do plaster (on lathe)? Two homes I'm interested in need some plaster work.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallen101 View Post
I just acquired a property on W Warren Ave, in Youngstown... I am really concerned that it is in a bad area of Youngstown. I live appx. 900 miles away... and have never been there, but was planning to go check out the property in a couple of weeks... any advice on the area would be greatly appreciated... I would really like to know what I am getting myself into. Thanks!
Kallen,
This is a good website should help you with crime stats in the Youngstown area:
http://cfweb.cc.ysu.edu/psi/psi_maps_crime.htm
You can check what the crime rate is in a specific area.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 11,003 times
Default Moving to Youngstown?

[i] notice lot's of folk are being "pc" about Youngstown, so I feel pressed to say outloud that most of the 'crime' areas are where Black folks or the newly displaced Hispanic/Latino communities are there. Even in the most progressive viewing societies in USA, poverty and racism abounds...except now one would need extraordinary income to escape it.
The Northside has some of the most beautiful-architectural homes. 5 bedrooms with fire-places and plumbing facilites in each room; brick and stone, garages, etc. all for really attractive prices. I was once buying a brick bungalow type house (w/brick 2 car garage!) for less than 16K. I left because I joined the military (1977). The east side was always more suburban; the southside always was the 'hot spots' altho the Princeton St area was beautiful (it's where historical Idora Park was located, and only few miles from Mill Creek Park.)
If you are a new family and intend to live in Youngstown, I'd say (economically speaking) it is a good place to settle. Y-town has a LOT of historically negative background, but I'd like to know that in 2007, it has a good chance of reversing that! Communities are only as good as the people who populate it. Hopefully, you are not looking to be in nor to create the proverbial 'gated communities'...that there are no longer steel mills there is one good reason to enjoy living in Youngstown. Crime is everywhere, and Y-town has had it's share. I still have family there, my mom and grand-parents are buried in their cemetaries...Y-town, however, has a one time good chance of coming back as one of America's best living places!
Just my opinion.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:42 AM

I've been watching the real estate market in the Youngstown area since the spring and can tell you that home prices are rising and seemed to have turned the corner. The RE agent that I'm working with has told me the same thing. Her office has had a great spring/summer. People are finding out that there are many bargains in the area.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:57 AM

4 posts, read 9,751 times
Default I have to agree with youngstown making a comeback..

((a shout out to my fellow drywall-pllaster guy I seen post earlier))I reside in the Historic distrcit in Boardman....I am on the division of boardman and youngstown and there is alot going on in the area that doesn't seem to get any media attention. For 1 the libraray at the corner of midlothian blvd and Market st.. It is my understanding that all 4 corners (with the exception of the First Place Bank) were purchased for parking space will be paved and Mayor J told me in an email they are installing several dozen already half grown trees.That Sami's quickstop is on limited time just until they begin working on the parking lots. Also....the upper level of the First place Bank is going to be a police substation, which Boardman and youngstown share. It will be open 24/7 and will operate full capacity. That may be involved in that whole tax thing we've all been hearing about((The J.E.D.D. program)).As a contractor, I gotta say private investors are buying these houses up like crazy. WE did 80 rehab homes last year. 3 years ago we did maybe 5 houses that year. These investors are not dealing with banks-they pay cash, nor are they using real estate agents-they buy direct, which might be why the market is getting mixed information. Agents and banks might not be doing good, but real estate in Y-Town is being bought up like I never seen before. Where are all these people getting all this money to dump into these houses???? I ain't complaining though !!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio