Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:34 PM

2,912 posts, read 1,235,617 times

Advertisements

Sandusky is my hometown. Lived there from 1962 - 1990. Still have family and LOTS of friends there.

You do NOT want to live IN Sandusky. I won't list all of the reasons why, but I'll list a few: ongoing Police problem, school system in decay, race problems (doesn't matter what your race is), NO jobs.

I lived in Vermilion (25 miles east) from 1991-2000 and I loved it there and was still close enough to Sandusky to enjoy it's attractions, visit friends and family. It's a nice, quiet beautiful town with a New England feel to it. Waterfront property is going to cost you a fortune no matter where you look: Sandusky, Huron, Vermilion, Port Clinton, Marblehead, etc.

It's a beautiful area and during the summer there is always something to do, but the winters can be tough, unless you're an ice fishing fan.

Doug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 02:41 PM

4 posts, read 5,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaandOhio View Post
wipe erie county off your list. No jobs at all. I have family all over that part of Ohio and half of them have been recently laid off.
There isn't any jobs in Northern Ohio unless your a proffesional

Old 11-20-2008, 11:41 AM

2,948 posts, read 6,994,889 times
Sandusky is far enough away from everything that it would not be an short commute to get to any major cities where you might find decent work.

Jobs are scarce, the area is fairly rural. There are enough computer geeks getting pumped out of the area colleges (Univ of Toledo, BGSU, Univ of Findlay, Terra Comm College, etc - those are just the NW colleges, many more towards Cleveland) that competition for what few computer type jobs is enough to drive the pay down.

As beautiful as the Great Lakes are, the Midwest is struggling. If you want to have a chance at decent jobs, or even survive, look elsewhere.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:52 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,882,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panny View Post
Hello
My husband will be getting out of the military and we can finally go where ever we choose!! We are thinking of the Sandusky area. We love the idea of a condo/house on the water. Questions...What is the day to day living in this area? How afforable are homes? Safe? Jobs? (teacher and computer geek!!) taxes? You name it, I want to know it!! Thanks!
Im curious to why you are considering Sandusky if you can live anywhere?

Other than Cedar Point, it wouldnt be high on my radar if I had a choice. I used to have family in Sandusky and helped fix up houses and do other side jobs over there for a short time. I dont have too much to say about it. Other than Cedar Point its a pretty average place. The city of Sandusky isnt the best. It has more than its share of decay for a city its size, and the crime and decay is slightly high. The schools also arent too good. I dont know your whole situation, but I would recommend living outside the city. Its not that bad though, I would say its livable. Theres not too many jobs in Sandusky left, ever watched "Tommy Boy"? it was a popular movie in the 90s about a factory in Sandusky that was going to shut down.

The main reason I might possibly choose to move there is because of Cedar Point and Sanduskys good location about halfway between Cleveland and Toledo, also not a long drive from Detroit. I remember being jealous of my family in Sandusky at the time as they could drive right across to Cedar Point whenever they had money.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:34 PM

801 posts, read 2,555,060 times
The town of Sandusky itself seems a little depressing. I could see you being happy here if you had a lake cottage or a real love of the water (boating, birding, hiking, the islands.)

Neighboring towns seem to have not as much decay.

I can agree that there don't seem to be many teaching openings in Ohio, period. Remember Bowling Green State University - Huron Campus is just twenty minutes away, but I didn't see many openings listed on their website either -- I believe they might be in the middle of a hiring freeze.

The Lakewood area of Cleveland is about 45 minutes to an hour east. Might be a better bet if anything is happening in Cleveland jobwise... urban schools are always hiring... if you can find a good situation in an urban district or want to chance it.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:47 PM

602 posts, read 2,025,549 times
I agree with others here about the job market or lack thereof in the area.

But, if you're serious about getting some waterfront property, also check out Catawba Island, but like any place along the water, it ain't cheap.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,448 times
sandusky try springboro or centerville but they are not by water but is a nice place to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio